NAIS resisters please stand up!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jnap31, Aug 31, 2006.

1. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Got this in my e-mail the other day,I sent them $25 to help make flyers so you at home can distribute them please do so, it cant hurt.

Hello Fellow Liberty Ark Supporters

It's time for us to share with you our successes and challenges. We
    especially want to tell you about our *NEW BROCHURE*, but first, an
    update:

*SUCCESSES* We have the attention of USDA, NIAA, and the Working
    Groups. Even though we formed in late March, we are encouraging
    resistance across the country. Here are some successes:

* The Ron Paul Amendment - With only 3 days notice, and phone calls
    from you, we brought in at least 10 votes that wouldn't have
    supported the amendment otherwise. NAIS is now on the radar of

U.S. Representatives who didn't even know it existed.

* Coordination across States - We have coordinators in over half of
    the states. Coordinators from Vermont, Missouri, Tennessee,
    Texas, and Louisiana all attended the NIAA conference this last
    week, raising important questions, and gathering information.

* Model Legislation - We have drafted a model state statute, and
    have model town and county resolutions against NAIS available.

* CD about NAIS - We've produced a CD about the NAIS, to help
    everyone spread the word.

*HOW HAVE WE GOTTEN THIS FAR?* We have dedicated teams of people
    working these issues. We've achieved this much on just under $2,000 in
    contributions, and a completely donated website. Our Coordinators were
    resourceful in raising specific donations from media so that they could
    attend NIAA as press people. Many of our coordinators and our Steering
    Committee members are paying their own expenses. As you can see, we
    are a frugal coalition, and have achieved a great deal with limited
    resources.

*Future Plans & NEEDED SUPPORT*. There are many things we would like
    to do. Our most pressing need right now is to reach people who aren't on
    the web or connected through email. This means publications.

* We are printing a *new TRI-FOLD BROCHURE* for wide distribution.
    It will be full-color on glossy paper, professionally done. It
    will have a place on the back for you to place a stamp or decal
    for your local organization's information. It will contain the
    basic NAIS story, along with the "Top 10 myths," and other
    important information. It will be a great tool to introduce your
    neighbors to the NAIS problem.

* We would like to place notices of town hall meetings about the
    NAIS in local newspapers.

*We Need Your Help* *For the Brochure*. We need to get the
    Brochure out as soon as possible, to raise awareness. You can help, in two
    ways.

* We need to know *how many copies YOU CAN DISTRIBUTE.* The
    Brochure should go in every feed store, pet shop, sale barn,
    coffee shop, hardware store, implement dealer, and everywhere
    else animal owners go.

* And we need *help in PAYING THE BILL.* Our cost will be about
    7 cents each, including postage to you. If you can help toward
    the cost, please do.

_How to Order Brochures_ On our website's contribution form -

https://secure.freedom.org/eco/libark-contrib.dyn -

Please enter the number of brochures you can distribute, in the box
    after your name. (Example: John Smith (100))

Then check, or enter, the amount you wish to contribute. We will send
    your brochures as soon as they are available from the printer (about
    two weeks). Don't worry if you can't contribute enough to cover all
    that you can distribute. It's more important that we get the word out.
    We need to know your level of participation, before we commit to a
    production number to the printer. Let's flood the country with this
    information.

*OTHER CONTRIBUTIONS* Some Arkers will be able to distribute more
    Brochures than they can pay for, and others are able to contribute
    money, but can distribute only a few brochures. We haven't sent out a
    general request for support, but now our need is real. We are up
    against large, well-funded organizations with bottomless pockets. We
    would appreciate your financial contribution. It will allow us to
    cover costs for town hall notices, meetings with the government and their
    allies, phone calls, and printing.

As you can see, we are conservative with YOUR money, and pledge to
    continue in the same manner. You can contribute through our website, or by
    sending a check made out to "Liberty Ark Coalition" and mailing it to
    PO Box 191, Hollow Rock, TN, 38342. Every person contributing $25 or
    more in excess of Brochure orders will receive a copy of our CD.

As always, if you have questions or concerns, you can reach us at
    noah@libertyark.net

2. Shinsan

Shinsan Keeping the Dream Alive

Garden Guy,
    We are not imune from the same affliction in Australia, and I understand that thare are other countries in the same predicament. Could you possibly forward me some of your information, particularly a copy of that pamphlet, as I am in contact with a number of people here who would like to do the same thing as your organisation in the U.S. NAIS/NLIS etc are just more tools for the complete control of people by governments that to a large extent are in the hands of global corporations.
    Please e-mail me for a postal address if you think it is worthwhile spreading the message here.

Thanks,

Shin

3. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Shin, I would be happy to mail you one just PM me your mailing address and I will send one when they come. Are you familiar with www.soilandhealth.org Steve Solomon in Tasmania is very concerned with the issues you mentioned and has a good yahoo group that discusses many of the issues you brought up.

4. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Do they have a web page other than this contribution page?
    I wasn't able to find other links... :shrug:

5. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

6. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I belong to the NY group which is called No NAIS In New York, and they may not be the first group, but they are hard workers. I get e-mails daily from them, and they have you sending all kinds of letters, and going to all kinds of meetings. Here is the link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NONAISinNEWYORK/

They also give you so much info that I would never have found myself.

katlupe

7. ladycat

If you'll scroll down to the Regional Discussions section here: http://stopanimalid.org/forum/index.php and look in each subforum, there is a sticky for the anti-nais yahoo groups in each subforum for that region. There are a LOT of yahoo groups.

8. katlupe

So do you think that with all these groups, and people against this, it will do any good? I do know that the racing industry is behind it, and they have lots of $$. And there are a lot of horse associations also wanting it. They think that it will protect their horses from catching diseases. But I can't understand their thinking. My horses don't go anywhere, except for a few miles down the trails in my woods. Even my vet said they didn't need all those vaccinations since they are not around other horses very often. But what can you do? If it goes through, I will not get any more animals than what I have. I won't ride my horses anymore. Must be that's what they want?

katlupe

9. ladycat

It's doing a LOT of good!!! We got USDA to back down and make it voluntary instead of mandatory.

StopAnimalID members have had rallies and have passed out thousands of flyers. We've gotten a number of congressmen and senators on our side.

But the work's not over yet. We can't let down our guard for a minute!!

10. katlupe

Does that mean that there are people who would want to sign up? Or maybe, just people, like in the racing industry and horse associations, the ones who wanted it?

katlupe

11. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

Want to see what "good" the various groups have already done?

check out

www.nonais.org

Not a thing will change if people simply sit there and do nothing. Can one or two people make a difference? Sure. EACH one of these various sites/organizations all began with one person or just a few people who wanted to fight NAIS..
    An individual says to himself "My letter won't make a difference." That's the same thing as saying, "My one vote doesn't count." All by itself in a vacuum, that may be true..yet add your ONE letter, or telephone call to several hundred, or several thousand or several MILLION others, and whoa boy..yes indeed, your ONE effort echoes across the entire country. :)

12. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

and only one responded with the expected form letter telling me that she was looking out for my best interests in the fight against terrorism. Blah Blah Blah. All that got me was added to her newletter list that she sends from D.C. Most unwelcome as we do not share the same party afilliation--not by a long shot. Oh well. At least I advised my elected officials how I feel about it!

Vanessa near Nashville

13. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

But the State hardly cares about the Fed requirements.....

Poultry diseases like exotic Newcastle disease and avian influenza know no state lines or neighbors' fences. These diseases also do not know the difference between a commercial flock and a backyard flock. Preventing and being able to contain diseases like these are so important, the Maryland General Assembly passed legislation in 2005 (Annotated Code of Maryland, Agriculture Article, Section 3-804) requiring domestic poultry and exotic bird premises to be registered. The Maryland Department of Agriculture (MDA) has begun the process of registering all Domestic Poultry and Exotic Birds premises.
    What is the purpose of Maryland Domestic Poultry and Exotic Bird Premises Registration?
    The purpose of the registration program is to map out Maryland's number one agricultural commodity which involves over 2,500 farm families and 14,000 poultry company employees on Delmarva. Registration will protect all of the poultry and bird industries in the state from commercial to agri-tourism to the backyard flocks. MDA required this premises registration so that in the event of any bird-related disease outbreak, quick notification of residents can be made. A rapid response is essential in preventing the spread of infectious avian disease and the loss of family income.
    How important is this program?
    This program is so important that the Maryland Department of Agriculture has made Maryland Poultry and Exotic Bird Premises Registration mandatory.
    Who needs to register?
    Individuals involved in live poultry production including: Production facilities/farms, suppliers, dealers, haulers, wholesalers, live bird markets, and participants in Maryland's fairs and shows all must register.
    What is included in domestic poultry?
    Chickens, turkey, ostriches, emus, rheas, cassowaries, waterfowl and game birds are considered domestic poultry.
    What is an exotic bird?
    Any avian species that is not indigenous to Maryland and is normally used for non-agricultural purposes such as companion pets, or for ornamental, exhibition, or entertainment purposes including budgerigars, canaries, cockatiels, finches, parrots, other cage birds and ratites.

I cannot legally sell eggs and now poultry in Maryland w/o registering with the State. Hardly leaves me with a choice now, does it? And yes, I did write quite a few letters to state reps and ag reps on this - the reply pretty much echoed the above - We need to do this to prevent people in this state from dying of Bird Flu.

And don't forget about your hay........

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Under the Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002, regulations regarding the transporting of hay will go into effect in December.

The new rules are designed to protect against serious threats to the food supply. The regulations relate only to transported hay that is destined to be fed to livestock entering the nation’s food chain, such as beef and dairy cattle, sheep and goats.

All size farms are affected, but those who grow hay exclusively for use in their own livestock operation will see no change in the current procedures.

The regulations state that specific documentation must be kept by farmers if they sell, barter, give away or otherwise ship hay destined for use as livestock feed off the originating farm. If someone else does the hauling, then the responsibility for record keeping shifts to the transporter.

The Food and Drug Administration considers transporters to be anyone who has possession or control of an article of food for the sole purpose of transporting it by rail, road, water or air.

The transporter’s records must include both the source of the hay and the recipient, the origin and destination points, the date the shipment was received and the date it was released. A description of the freight and the number of packages must be noted.

The transporter also must keep track of the route the shipment followed, any transfer points during transport, and the name of each carrier involved in the shipping process.

The FDA requires that records concerning animal food be kept for one year. The documentation may be kept in either a paper or an electronic format. Currently, a standard bill of lading provides most of this information.

When the FDA suspects that foodstuffs have been tampered with and present a health threat to humans or animals in the food chain, any records must be easily accessible and made available for inspection or photocopying. Records must be produced within 24 hours from the time of notification.

Producers who grow hay for their own use and do not intend to provide it to other facilities will not, at this time, are not affected by the change in the FDA’s rules.

And with everyone so concerned about airports and dirty bombs, I had no idea that terrorists would be targeting the hay field down the road in order to get to my customers. Insidious, indeed.

14. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

Premises I.D. becomes mandatory in Indiana TOMORROW. Whats next?

15. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

They are going to monitor everything that moves in this country -

just not what or who is coming INTO the country.

16. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Horse owners are against it...appears to be the American Horse Association that is for it, but no one else. Not many breed registries will touch it at this point.

I was at a good sized fair recently, and since the WSDA had visited my local fair and handed out info, I thought it only polite to return the favor at this more recent (and larger) fair. I brought a few one page fliers, and as I asked folks if they'd heard of NAIS, they either recoiled or had no idea. By the end of the afternoon, they'd heard all they wanted to hear!

Ladycat, no one has backed down...the USDA still has a target date planned for mandatory registration.

http://animalid.aphis.usda.gov/nais/downloads/print/NAIS_Implementation_Plan_April_2006.pdf

pg 3): If participation rates are not adequate, the development of regulations through normal rulemaking procedures will be considered to require participation in certain aspects of the program.

17. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I half way hope this does become madatory and they start enforcing it as it will give me the reason I need to leave the USA and it's facist police state for ever.I could deal with The feds monitoring my bank account (all movements in or out of amounts over 10K) and the real -id but NAIS hits way to close to home. Yup I will be writing you all from a free country in the 3rd world location to be determined in a few years when I sell my wonderful farm as a result of NAIS probably. I feel like a frog in water that is rapidly coming to a boil must feel.

18. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

jnap, if you think it's that bad, why haven't you left already?

Just like that ridiculous Alec Baldwin who promised us he'd leave if Bush were voted in...why is he still here??? Heck, I voted for Bush just to get Baldwin out, lol! Nope, neither one of you will ever leave, because it really doesn't matter where you live, it's all the same.

There's no such thing as a free state anymore, jnap, and it's only going to get worse. I do feel your pain, really, but leaving the country isn't going to solve any problems. :shrug:

19. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Kesoaps you may be right as far as the latter part of your post but although it is not what I want I asure you that NAIS being enforced and homesteaders being jailed or fined for not going along with mandatory "chipping" is where I draw the line, you dont know me, I do what I say I will do and what I think needs to be done to best provide for my family and If I see our most basic and fundamental freedoms leaving the USA you had better believe we will be gone faster than our heads can spin on the way out.Even if we have a roughfer life someplace else with less $ atleast we will not be serfs or slaves. Oh it is not that bad that is why I have not left, It has gotten worse since I was a boy and lived in the states but like I said NAIS is the deciding factor for me. There are plenty of 3rd world countries that will not be implementing NAIS True no place is free but someplaces are more free than others and sadly the USA is moving down the list