NAIS Protest at Missorui State Capitol

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by copperhead51, Apr 18, 2006.

1. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

Our NAIS protest happened today. I got up at 0400. I milked and fed the other animals. We then booked to Jefferson City in high gear. It was about 200 miles. The rotunda of the State Capitol was reserved. We basically had it filled and most folks were from southron Missouri. I hope we can get the rest of the state. It was very cool. The protest lasted from 0900 - 1200. Several state reps/senators spoke as well as a few members of our Property Rights Congress. It felt powerful to hear politicians and friends get up and boom over the microphone that they will not chip their animals. I have no way of proving it but we were told that Missouri is the first state to have a formal protest at the state capitol. Missouri has both a house and senate resolution to the feds to keep NAIS on a voluntary basis. I hope we thwart this intrusive federal government. Were any other homesteadingtoday.com folks there?

2. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

Congratulations....you done good!!!!!!!!!!! :cowboy:

3. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

How many people showed up?

4. copperhead51

Not including the speakers, it was over 130. It was enough to get a lot of other tourist's and visitor's attention too.

5. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

Official head count was 200..

(based upon the 250 capacity of the rotunda floor)

I was too sick to go and was so disappointed..yet I heard it was absolutely fantastic.

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

That is great I wish I could have been there, sounds like I may be a refugee from AR in a few years headiing your way,. If MO is one of the only hold outs and they start fining/jailing "resisters then expect your states farm #s to swell and land prices to climb dramatically.

7. copperhead51

Arkansas may be starting to wind up its' anti-NAIS campaign. Folks in Fulton, Izard and Baxter counties are starting to organize. Rep. Marion Berry was "bushwhacked" yesterday at the Viola Senior Center. Keep writing those letters!

8. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

Some elected officials actually care about what affects the "common man"..
    ALL elected officials care about being re-elected, or if lame ducks, their Party members being elected to replace them. These people will pay attention to voters who make the most noise..

If the average citizen would only realize how much actual power he has, positive change would occur across the country. We sit back and say to ourselves, "woe is me..we are powerless against big government"..NO we are NOT.
    IF, IF and IF, each person who owns a single goat, chicken, horse, cow, pig, whatever.. picked up the telephone and JAMMED the telephone lines to their Senators and Congressmen saying that if NAIS goes into effect, they'll vote them out of office. NAIS would be stopped in it's tracks..absolutely.

Why don't folks do that? Beats me.

9. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Because you have groups like this around that Want this to happen or at least are not against it. This is from a Camilid Group, because even if a person has just One Llama they may have to do this. This is a survey from that group..These ARE the people that have to be educated and swayed the other way of thinking.

11. If participation in the NAIS becomes mandatory and permanent ELECTRONIC identification is required, which SINGLE method of electronic identification would you prefer?

Implanted microchip 2587 - 95%
    RFID ear tag 75 - 5%
    total responses 2662

10. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

That's too bad..
    to me, that kind of question is similar to "when did you stop beating your wife?"

There is no inference there that people support NAIS at all, just that IF they HAD to, what kind of device would be preferable..many people would not feel comfortable saying "over my dead body", so they give a literal answer to a literal question..unfortunately, someone can (and they usually do) take those surveys and present them as "support".

Which is why I personally don't pay too much attention to survey results when the actual questions aren't shown.

Suppose someone asked me,
    IF you ate ice cream, which would you prefer?
    1. vanilla
    2. strawberry
    well, I don't eat ice cream, but that wasn't the question..so I'd pick strawberry. Someone down the road would be told, "90% of people in Missouri prefer strawberry ice cream"..not REALLY..

11. simplegirl

simplegirl Well-Known Member

I missed it because I had to work yesterday but really had wanted to attend. There was a short story about it on Channel 8 last night but they didn't really go into what NAIS even was.

The reason I think that many people support it is that they don't think it will affect them (as in that they do not have animals) so they can't see why not. YIKES!! What an attitude, huh?

Great job! I wondered about who all was there from the boards.

12. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

That is good news thanks.

13. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

Wish I could've been there. Didn't know about it. That is a big problem, getting organized even WITH the internet. I live in NW MO, anymore plans for protest?? I don't know how the Amish communities here are going to cope with the NAIS rules, they won't even get SS numbers. I think if Amish are exempt we all should be. It goes it against my religious beliefs too.

14. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

I'm sorry that you missed it. I posted it here (and so did other folks)..

I also sent our press releases to over 50 Missouri newspapers covering the entire state, as well as every single TV news station..(twice). I was disappointed that most of them didn't opt to cover the story, never mind the event itself.

Many people printed out flyers at their own expense and handed them out at feedlots, auctions, feed stores, vets, etc.

D'reen & I worked planning this for 3 months..she was a guest speaker at several various livestock association meetings and two radio shows, one of which was a national one.

Every single day I contact the national media asking them to cover NAIS and bring it to the attention of the general public. It is like getting molasses to flow uphill in February, but worth all of this effort.

www.nonais.org has some great stuff that people can download for free and print out to use as hand-outs in their own areas. The more people who know about this, the better. If there's no group in your area, why not start one?

Here in Missouri, this began with two women..a young homesteading housewife and a disabled old lady with two cats..TWO women said "OK, we're just not going to sit here and do nothing while they run this thing through."
    Each one of us can make a difference..people just have to get up and "do".

15. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

I've printed out a few things I have found on the web and from other groups. I've give some to Amish friends in the hope they could also make themselves heard. A sort of "Town Meeting" venue on the internet would be great, I'm not a computer whiz, is that possible? Could it be arranged?
    Bostonlady are you an immigrant from back East too?

16. terri46355

terri46355 Well-Known Member

After they do it to the livestock. . . we're next.

They are already implanting the tracking devices in people in other countries. They are trying to say it is for the safety of the people. Remember World War 2?

17. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

Yup..I was born in Boston spent my childhood in Mass, Maine, Florida, OK, TX, Calif, and then back to Boston..as an adult I've lived in Mass, Maine, MO, NJ, TX, PA, AL and now in MO again..sometimes I get dizzy.

As far as an internet "town meeting" venue..IMHO, any type of networking is of value. I'm not a computer person, so I have no clue how that would work, but I'm certain that there ARE plenty of people who would know. Great idea..! Go for it. I've seen many posts on this forum by people who are extremely knowledgable about cyberspace.

18. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

REMEMBER 1984....... :cowboy:

19. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the great turn out!

I think there are yahoo lists for each state; everyone ought to be posting on them to stay in touch and inform each other of upcoming events. I believe Walter had a master list on his nonais.org site.

20. copperhead51

"Here in Missouri, this began with two women".... and I guess you're one of the two women who started Missouris' effort?