NAIS and Immigration Issues, how many have contacted your legislators?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wilderness1989, Mar 27, 2006.

1. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I called my state Senator today.
    It was quite a satisfying experience. The person who answered the phone said that Senator Eltife is urging the TAHC to change the rules to protect the small farmers & animal owners.
    She said that the meeting that was scheduled for last week to vote on the NAIS was cancelled because of so much opposition from the public.
    At this point, nothing in Texas is mandatory, & won't be before the Legislature is in session again in 2007. (I assume that this means that we don't have to have our "premisis" registered by 7/1/06, as we have been told.)
    She said that the Feds passed a law that each state must have an animal ID law in place by 2010, but the rules are left up to the individual states to inact.
    We have to keep the opposition going, & not let our guard down. We can't stop the law, but maybe we can make it more bearable.

3. wilderness1989

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe we should chip illegal aliens..............

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

The title of this thread had me wondering _what_ direction this thread would be going! :)

--->Paul

6. wilderness1989

The direction I wanted the thread to go was getting people involved, getting them to express their personal views on subjects to their legislators. The legislators are supposed to be work for us the people who elected them and are supposed to be their boss' of government.
    I have been involved with causes before that got action from calls and letters to their legislators. If I remember well, it's been a while, the legislators counted one person calling or writing them was worth 1000+ voters that were thinking the same as the letter writer. But it worked and we got laws repealed that way. Just a thought no political inference implied.
    :)

7. nogreaterjoy8

nogreaterjoy8 Well-Known Member

I called/wrote and emailed about both issues........got thoroughly unsatisfactory answers........or ignored. Wish there were a few rallies or something planned here!

8. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Absolutely!

9. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

If we DON't do something about the Animal Identification system we will ALL be sorry! I wrote an article in my newspaper about three weeks ago and about a day later an ALFA representative called me and talked about how it WOULDN'T hurt small farmers, etc. etc. etc.....

But it will and we MUST speak up! Folks, if you have a few chickens and goats or whatever, this ID system may make it cost too much to keep them if we don't speak out now for the small farmers! They will let big chicken processors get one ID for the WHOLE chicken house but those with small free range flocks would have to have an ID for each bird IF this goes as some want because they say our chicks would be more apt to catch diseases from wild birds...

BUT this program will not PREVENT disease, it will simply TRACK disease after it is found...

They need to make countries ID animals and vegetables (country of origin!) before they get into the US and leave the small farmers alone.

I am a newspaper editor and have done a vast amount of research on this plus interviewing several governmental leaders pro and con.

Folks read up on this and contact your state and federal legislators and state and federal agriculture folks!

10. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

[QUOTE it will simply TRACK disease after it is foundQUOTE]

Yes that is true. But getting at the source quickly within 48 hours is the whole purpose behind this so that Diseases will not get out of control and spread through an area. So it will Prevent it from spreading, not prevent the disease itself, but to stop it before it gets into other herds and affects other persons herd, flocks whatever.

11. rambler

There is a great deal of misunderstanding on that part here. That is unfortunate.

NAIS is about stopping the spread of disease in domestic animals. Nothing more.

--->Paul

12. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

13. christy

christy Well-Known Member

This is just my own thoughts, but the NAIS is going to help spread these disease. With the family farms going to go under with this program that leaves large corp. farms. The animals are confined, stressed, and a much easier target. IMHO

14. nogreaterjoy8

:bash::bash::bash::bash:

I went to Barbara Cubins website - you can't find her position on immigration there, in fact, you can't find anything unless you put in a Wyoming zip code - heaven forbid out of staters know what she wants!

So I called the toll free number, which was answered by a 12 year old who informed me that she is not allowed to give out Ms. Cubin's positions over the phone! If I cared to leave my address they would be happy to send that right out to me.

I said, "Well, that sounds nice, but since I wrote you about the Animal Identification System and got a reply thanking me for my interest in gun control, I'm not sure I should bother."

So she looked up my name in her little computer and says.........."we haven't answered your letter yet." So I read her the whole blasted reply letter I got and she says, "well, I don't know what to say - our computer says it didn't answer you yet." :bash:

So she has promised to very quickly send me out Ms. Cubin's position on both issues and very kindly asked, "If you get anymore weird letters from our office, please disregard them because we aren't that sloppy and it isn't us." :bash:

THESE people are running our government????????? They can't even run an office.........but at least the girl spoke English!

Ya' know, the Declaration of Independence says the following (emphasis mine..........) maybe it's time we took our forefathers advice!!!!

"IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776
    The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Then again, maybe if they make us :bash: long enough we won't have the sense to realize what they are doing.

Now back to your regularly scheduled posts........sorry

15. rambler

16. wilderness1989

People in France are demonstrating for their rights and Hispanics/Mexicans are demonstrating for their PRESUMED RIGHTS. We Legal Americans sit around complaining about what is happening to our government. Then why doesn't middle class America come out and peacefully demonstrate in great numbers too receive our due Constitutional Rights?
    :cowboy:

17. nogreaterjoy8

Don't know.........I have tried to stir up interest around here for a rally in Casper but no one seems to care. i can't even get the paper to do an article because they say no one's interested........

And if the Mexicans/Hispanics/Latinos (what's the difference, anyway) want to protest for their rights they need to go to THEIR country and do it.........don't they have their own Declaration of Ind or something?

18. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

I called my traitorous Missouri senators about immigration and my state senator about NAIS today. The fed senators have been on the wrong side of Real I.D., the Patriot Act and Bush's unconstitutional spying on Americans.

19. Lindafisk

Lindafisk Well-Known Member

I have written and emailed senators, congressmen, reps and whoever else I can come up with-rights groups and special interest groups and such. I have also emailed LOTS of state papers and done letters to editors.

NAIS may supposedly start so there is the ability to track animals/food quickly but I doubt that is where it will stop.

20. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I assume you are not aware of the Bioterrorism Food Act.