NAIS and government/industry control

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jillis, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

http://www.augustafreepress.com/stories/storyReader$40205

This is an excellent and eye-opening article. Please open the link and read the article in its entirety.

2. iocane

iocane Active Member

Currently the state of oregon wants to know who has chickens in there backyard. Luckily its not a law yet. Seems to me the tactic is some one does something just plain wrong then diverts the blame elsewhere. After that push for new laws to cover where the blame was put that in actually help the one guilty in the first place. A lot of the current worries actually trace back to the mad cow scare. The mad cow problem was caused by putting ground up cattle parts in cattle feed. All mad cow desease is, is a bovine version of a desease that hits cannibals. Instead of the coporate crooks that was behind all that getting in lots of trouble, anyone with there own milk cow gets the blame. Someome with there own milk cow is the person they have trouble controlling. If you have your own farm animal then you actually learn a thing or to about animals and might just know when your lied to. The big thiefs would prefer people were so lacking in knowledge that they had know idea what food actually was.
    If they could get away with it they would sell us hamburgers made out of ground up rats, huge profit margin there.

3. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I look forward to reading the article in it's entirety but have to go eat supper and get some sleep before I start my mission at 1am. Thanks for that well written article

4. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Over my dead body, even if it includes republicans.

5. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I just can't understand how people can't see the danger this is to our freedom, to our pursuit of life, liberty and happiness. It will come down to cats, dogs and goldfish before they are done, all for our own protection!

Time to reread Orwell's "1984", folks.

6. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

This is what I thought all along. That is why I question 'bird flu'.

Somehow, I think it is going to be used to destroy private flocks and to deny people the right to have their flocks in the future.

7. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

"A lot of the current worries actually trace back to the mad cow scare. The mad cow problem was caused by putting ground up cattle parts in cattle feed. All mad cow desease is, is a bovine version of a desease that hits cannibals."

Actually that is not (edited from now to not) correct. Meat and bone meal has been fed to livestock for many, many years. It was actually promoted by governments as a relatively inexpensive livestock supplement for protein and minerals.

What they think happened in Britian is sheep which died of scrappie were included in the processing and the scrappie somehow, and it is still not known exactly how, may have triggered BSE. Scrappie infected sheep carcasses had been included in M&BM for a long time as well, so there seems to have had to been some type of trigger beside simple consumption.

The two U.S. originated confirmed cases of BSE seem to have been spontaneous. It is a different variation than the British BSE. This is more like CJD being spontaneous as the cause of death in about 1/1M.

At this point researchers still don't known exactly what causes BSE.

8. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Right now it is voluntary in NH. Is it the same in other states? I am worried about what the future holds. :shrug:

9. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Mandatory registration of ALL poultry in Maryland.

10. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Indiana went Mandatory Sept 1,2006 This is for Premises ID registering. I believe more and more different States will be going in for this ID thingy. WI. has been Mandatory now since Jan 1st. and have over 50,000 places registered...Well including mine, It was easy and quick as I did it on line.

11. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

There has also been a lot of research that indicated that when cattle are treated with organophosphates it precipitates the prions that do the damage of BSE.

In any case, it is hardly threat enough to cause a crackdown on backyard farmers.

When the big dairy interests wanted to shut down the small farmers, they had the inspectors falsify disease reports and swooped in and killed all the small herds. It worked, too.

People, we should all be fighting this tooth and nail!

Go to NoNAIS.com and find out what you can do!

12. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

When and where did this occur? My brothers milk, and our family has been selling fluid milk for 60+ years. In the mid-1980s, there was the whole herd buyout program, where the herd was sent to slaughter, but that was voluntary signup.

I guess they missed a quite a few small herds around here when the "big dairy interests" were killing all the small herds. Past six weeks, I've been milking for my neighbor who is laid up -- he's got 36 Registered Holsteins he's milking. He's been milking there since 1954. Barn doors (and barn) are red, perhaps that's why his herd was spared. :rolleyes:

13. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

That makes no sense at all. Would appear to be made-up bull-oney. I'd like to see some proof of that! Sheez.

Regardless, I don't like the increased pile of paperwork & restrictions & cost pushed on farmers, small or large. I'm not _for_ these programs.

Just don't like the misinformation - I think it greatly detracts from the goal.

--->Paul

14. YoungOne

YoungOne Well-Known Member

Feds regulating private citizens affairs. Enough said. BUTT OUT! (that was yelled at the FEDs, not any of you)

15. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

tooltime and rambler:

This happened in, I believe, either the forties or fifties in this area of VT. I will try to take the time today to find the source for that information.

16. iocane

iocane Active Member

17. HydroDude

HydroDude Active Member

Ninety-nine percent of the people in this country have no clue how to grow or raise their own food. They are already totally dependent on the corporate farming machine and distribution chain. They have no clue where there food really comes from and because they do not grow their own could careless about what the NAIS will do to those who strive for some self sufficiency in their food supply. Even if the general population understood the impact they probably could careless.

18. iocane

iocane Active Member

19. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Iocane: If you double check the article you will see France has had MCD for quite some time - shortly after it was initially detected in England.

Article refers to animal-based flour. That's a new one to me. Likely either referring to bone dust or meat & bonemeal.

Theory that scrappie-infected or BCD-infected caused the MCD outbreak is just that - a theory. There is still no absolute link. This type of M&BM had been fed for likely at least 100 years without a problem. There simply has to have been a new triggering agent.

France had one case of MCD on a dairy in which the herd had been closed for a goodly number of years and no feed was purchased - all of it was grown on the same farm. How then could contaminated M&BM or bone dust have caused that particular case?

The two U.S. cases were found to be a different strain of MCD than the Canadian or European version and, quite likely, may be spontaneous, just as CJD appears to be spontaneous in humans to the tune of about 1/1M deaths.

20. iocane

iocane Active Member

"France had one case of MCD on a dairy in which the herd had been closed for a goodly number of years and no feed was purchased - all of it was grown on the same farm. How then could contaminated M&BM or bone dust have caused that particular case?"
    Takes years for it to take effect. Some diseases are like that. I do remeber that I always look at the ingrediants on packaging and one year animal feed started listing different names for cattle parts in the ingrediants. Even if it had no effect, still makes for bad feed. When I pay for soemthing i expect that something. Not to have it bulked up with all sorts of things that just should not be in there.
    Theres protein in people and worms. Still if I ever find people or worms as a ingrediant in food I buy, I am not going to be happy.