Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't polish my nails often and maybe that is the problem.

When I do my nails, it seems that the polish dents or smudges even if I let it dry 15 minutes between coats. I use a base and top coat.

Is it possible that nail polsh deteriorates with aging?

Also, do you think more expensive brands are better? I use Maybelline or Sally Hanson.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hah, WIHH, I am wearing it too! My DH picked that color out for me and I have worn it on my toes for about 2 years now, and sometimes on my fingernails.

Yes, polish gets ucky when it is old. Buy new!

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
also important to put on THIN coats of polish,,,too thick and it doesn't dry fast enough. Even cheaper brands can be okay as long as you don't rush it. 3 or even 4 coats is better than 1 or 2 thick ones.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
I know when I do my nails, a base coat - then a thin color coat, wait awhile, 2nd coat, wait awhile then a clear top coat. Usually this process takes about an hour if I let them dry well between coats.

My favorites -
some Sally Hansen (the nail drying top coat does work very well)
one or two Revlon (but not so much these days.)

one of my two favorite brands -Orly; other Ultra Pro. A new one that I've tried and it does well - Finger Paints. All of these are at Sally's Beauty supply stores.

Angie

·
Site Admin's Boss
481 Posts
Wind in Her Hair said:
oh honey, yes! If its old, toss it out.

And for my money (and all the trouble of actually bending down to "do" my toenails) OPI (available at salons) is worth every penny. My favorite color (and I'm wearing it now) is:

"I'm Not Really a Waitress" red

call me subtle... :)
You beat me to it! OPI is great polish. That's one of my favorite colors too!

·
Site Admin's Boss
481 Posts
Ardie,

One more suggestions...go to a Sally's Beauty Supply and ask for a spray that quick dries your nails. I don't have it here in Panama, so I don't remember the name, but that's the only place I can find it. It's in a red can and costs about $2. Dries your nails instantly.

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gosh, thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I'll pass on a tip that I'll have to start doing again with my nail polishes. I used to keep them in the refrigerator when I used nail polish more and it lasted a long time.

WIHH, you mean CF doesn't polish your toenails for you? :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
http://www.bebeautiful.com/product/108167.aspx

A rubberized basecoat that stops chipping and all that annoying stuff...really does work! When it comes to nail polish, I wish I could wear red :shrug: I have the skin tone that allows me to wear this--

I can't wear pinks or reds, but can wear orange :p

·
Administrator
19,222 Posts
I do feel that it's best to avoid any nail polishes that have lycra or nylon as an ingredient, they tend to be incredibly hard to apply evenly and they seem to dry odd. They key to application is thin coats but only 3 brush strokes, one up the center and then the sides.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Not to brag, but DH does my toenails for me. :) He's better at it than I have ever been.

Lots of women polish their toenails, but does anyone actually polish their fingernails anymore? Seems like I rarely see that nowadays.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
a good bit of it goes on in this neck of the woods. But more at the nail salons and a lot of "french nail" look.

I like color and do it myself. Cheap entertainment.

Angie

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vickiesmom said:
Just for the record ladies, toss any makeup you've had for over six months...organisms can grow in there...and if in the name of God you have any baby blue eye shadow..TOSSSSSSSSS!!!!
Lordy, I thought you said 'orgasms' and I got all excited :D !

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You can buy some nail polish thinner at the beauty supply place. I got mine at Sally's. Just a little bit will thin down old thick polish.
I like the polish that dries in 60 -90 seconds. I rarely use the regular kind any more.
I also second the rubber based product. The polish stays on longer.
I also have one of those instant dry top coats, too. I can do my nails in record time now !

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
I need one of those instant-dry topcoats. I generally do my nails right at bedtime when Lance isn't here and then go to bed with my feet hanging out - when I did my fingernails all the time I'd get in bed and do them, then lay down flat on my back with my hands on my tummy. Almost never woke up with a sheet print! (Ladies be warned: this process does not work if there's someone else in bed with you, only if you're there alone!)

My 2 favorite brands are China Glaze and OPI. I've about tossed all the other old ones (with the exception of a couple I need to take and buy colors that are close).

I polished my fingernails for the first time in about a year just last week before we went on vacation. I figured since I wasn't going to be doing anything, I might as well make them bright orange for the trip (actually I think the color is called Jamaican-out). They're starting to show some wear now and I'm debating whether to re-do them or just take it off. I rather like having them done, but it sure interferes with gardening!

·
Registered
746 Posts
I love to paint my daughters finger and toenails. I'm also the family finger /toenail trimmer and earwax getter.
I chewed my daughters fingernails off right after she was born; I thought the nurses were daft to suggest; then I tried it and saw that that was the only real way to do it safely. Talk about a bonding moment, one I'll always cherish.
Right now the color of prefference is Bratz purple sparkle. I like the pink but I don't get to choose.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Since I'm the only female in the house, I think I'd better stick to painting my own...

I probably couldn't hold the 11 year old down long enough to do a good job anyway!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts