N.Z. Kune Kune Pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Shinsan, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Shinsan

Shinsan Keeping the Dream Alive

Anybody heard of New Zealand's native pigs known as 'Kune Kune"? They're a miniature pig that grazes, and thrives, on grass. Although raised for putting on the table, many people keep them purely as pets.
    I'd love to get a couple, but Australia has a very strict prohibition on importing pigs or pig products. I can understand that, but wouldn't you think that there'd be a quarantine process that could be completed to allow the import of live animals - or could it be that the controls are politically/commercially motivated?

2. jeff caldwell

jeff caldwell Well-Known Member

look in this months hobby farms in the back where there is color ads and there is a breeder that has some for sale and then in another breeder in the classified ads also.
    we have also thinking about going that route but not none close by in tennessee.

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

There were some for sale in a recent (I think this month's) issue of the Florida Market Bulletin.

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Shinsan,
    From your reference to Australia, I presume that is where you live? You should be able to track down Kune's there and suggest you do a search for breeders.

Kune's are not a good breed to rear for the table and are not bred commercially for that purpose although smallholders will rear them to put in the freezer. They take twice as long to get to porker weight and it takes very little to turn them into walking tubs of lard of enormous proportions. Some of the most revolting pigs I've seen have been Kune Kune's. However, cared for properly, they make brilliant pets and good roasts.

There is no political/commercial motivation behind the problems associated with the import of pigs - and certainly the Kune would be no threat to the commercial pig grower. Pigs harbour many diseases some of which Australia and New Zealand don't have with Foot and Mouth being the biggest that comes to mind. Consequently the importation of live pigs, or even semen, is extremely difficult if not impossible. I would very much like to import Hereford semen but havn't even started going down that track as I suspect it will be a very time consuming process that will eventuate in a negative result.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. Shinsan

Thanks Ronney. I've only seen a few photos of kune, and those looked real cute - my daughters loved them. Have been in touch with David Hughes, secretary of the kune breeder's assoc. in N.Z., and was told that our DPI in OZ will not allow any imports. A bit unfortunate, as I could have made a few bob breeding and selling them to hobby farmers over here. I'd be surprised if you had trouble importing semen for Herefords though: I thought they were pretty much estalished in N.Z.
    One thing I find strange about the way some of the the regulations work: If I want to import Alpacas from South America, they have to be quarantined before being acceped into Aust, and that is done in N.Z. - can't figure that one out.
    Which part of Aotearoa are you in?

6. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I am most surprised that there are no Kune breeders already established in Australia. Did David Hughes say why Australia would not allow imports?

Sorry, a bit of a muddle there about the Herefords. I was referring to Hereford pigs not Hereford cattle - your quite right, the Hereford cattle are very well established here :)

I'm in the Far North about 10kms south of Kaitaia.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

7. Shinsan

It seems that Aussie pig producers had the ear of the Govt some time ago - They were up in arms about pork products being imported, from Canada I think it was, and got a blanket ban put on the importation of all things porcine. I contacted AQIS and they confirmed the ban, but I seem to remember somebody was able to import some miniature Vietnamese Pot-Bellied Pigs awhile back, so there has to be a loop-hole somewhere. (LOL - It's not as if a kune's diet was confined strictly to N.Z. grown apples after all.)
    I'd completely forgotten that the Hereford was also a breed of pig: I've recently been studying up on traditional, (miniature), Hereford and Irish Dexter Cattle.
    What would be the problem in importing semen for H. pigs? Wouldn't it be certified disease free?
    Mind you, I'm not totally against AQIS maintainingg a strict control on agricultural imports - Foot & Mouth being a prime example - as it is one of the reasons that Aust is able to send disease-free live goats back to South Africa. (A situation that may change if the white farmers are forced to sell their farms to the S.A. Govt for return to the indigenous population - Apparently a lot of the farmers there are establishing studs in Aust as a fall-back.)
    BTW - A neighbour told me that the local council didn't allow the keeping of pigs in our area, despite it being zoned rural. An aquaintance, from the other side of town, said "I've got a pig, and so does the bloke next door.....What's a Council?" (Around here the local rule appears to be "they can't tell you 'No' if you don't ask".)

Shin

Maori name: Manawanui