myth?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jennigrey, Sep 23, 2005.

1. jennigrey

jennigrey Well-Known Member Supporter

i heard/read somewhere that rabbit meat is low in nutritional value. it doesn't scan, but i thought i'd ask the experts.

specifically i was told that if you tried to subsist off rabbit meat you'd die of malnutrition in relatively short order. now, i imagine that if you tried to subsist off ANY one thing you'd die of malnutrition, but is there something about rabbit in particular?

i know that reindeer meat doesn't have much going for it, subsisting as they do off lichen and moss. but rabbits have always struck me as browsers and foragers with a more varied diet.

2. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

LOL no dear ,, rabbit meat is the highest protein ,, lowest colesterol etc etc etc best meat you could possibly eat :rock: ,,

I've had gastric bypass and when I told my Dr & Dietician I had rabbit meat available they were estatic ,, :D

now if you tried to exist off of rabbit meat 'only' ,, you 'would' get maluntrition eventually ,, but it would be because you would not get enough fat in your diet ;) ,, rabbit has very little fat ,,

someone else will have to give you the proper nutritional sites to visit ,, to check my info ..

3. buspete

buspete Well-Known Member

I remember this story from when I was a Boy Scout.

Basically, we were told that if lost in the woods in a survival situation, that we should forage for plants instead of wasting energy trying to hunt small game because it wasn't balanced nutrition enough in just eating trapped rabbits.

The idea that eating rabbits leads to starvation is just out of context without the rest of it.

4. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Yes thats why early people could only survive if the women gathered enough plants / seeds / greens etc and managed to dry / save enough to get a family thru winter without fresh plants available ,, just living off of entirely meat will eventually kill you ,,

remember in school when they taught about rickets ,, your teeth n hair fall out ,, bones get brittle ,, not getting enough vitiamin C ,, without enough vegatables / fruits in your diet you'll die ,,

could have 1000 pounds of meat in the freezer and be dying ,, I remember reading that pioneers would even stew pine needles and drink the broth trying to get vitiamins in winter ,,

5. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Actually, an all animal diet will keep you healthy quite well with the caveat that you'll need to eat some of the organ meats raw to get the vitamins from them. The Masai people in Africa live almost completely on a diet of cattle blood and milk.

6. buspete

buspete Well-Known Member

Just think of how much weight some people lose on the Atkins diet by scarfing down steaks.

Once they reach their desired weight, they are supposed to slowly add some carbs to stop ketosis from consuming too much of their own body.

We really are omnivores, and if reduced to a long-term survival situation would need to forage from every available food source.