Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out picking beans this morning when i ran into about 10 of these little sting fellows out on the leaves. My hand was stinging everywhere i touched it. Does anyone know what this fellow is ????????? It has a green body and little fuzzy hairs all over it and a red stipe on the sides of its body. I threw them into the chicken pen and they wouldn't even touch them...so, what do you think?????

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_old_lady_in_the_shoe/detail?.dir=/dfe9&.dnm=a3fe.jpg

Belinda

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
"Io moth caterpillar, Automeris io (Fabricius) ( Plate 4 ). This is a pale green caterpillar with yellow and red stripes. It often exceeds 2" in length and is fairly stout-bodied. The nettling organs are borne on fleshy tubercles, and the spines are usually yellow with black tips. They feed on a wide range of plants, but ixora and rose are their favorite hosts."

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_IN014

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that must be it... I looked at the site and it was pretty cool...who would have thunk that there was so many catapillers that could give you an ouchie!!!!!! thanks.

Belinda

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
I just never touch any of them. My mother told me when I was a child that some would sting, so I've always had a healthy respect for them. And you know, if the chickens won't touch it, it HAS to be nasty!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cyngbaeld said:
I just never touch any of them. My mother told me when I was a child that some would sting, so I've always had a healthy respect for them. And you know, if the chickens won't touch it, it HAS to be nasty!
I found it by mistake...as i was picking beans, it was on the underside of a leaf and i didnt see it until it was too late...ouch!!!! :eek:

Belinda

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have been stung and bitten by all sorts of things, but NOTHING was worse than those stinking fire ants! We were in Florida a few weeks ago for my daughter's basketball, and I stepped in a fire ant hill hidden in the grass. I was lucky to get away with only 8 bites, two of which are STILL festering. Those things are vicious!!! Makes me very glad to live in NC--I don't think they've made it here yet.

Sympathies on the bite. When I get the stinging/biting things in my garden, it almost makes me want to use pesticides. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts