mystery stinging catapiller...What is it????

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mrs_stuart, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I was out picking beans this morning when i ran into about 10 of these little sting fellows out on the leaves. My hand was stinging everywhere i touched it. Does anyone know what this fellow is ????????? It has a green body and little fuzzy hairs all over it and a red stipe on the sides of its body. I threw them into the chicken pen and they wouldn't even touch them...so, what do you think?????

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_old_lady_in_the_shoe/detail?.dir=/dfe9&.dnm=a3fe.jpg

Belinda

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

"Io moth caterpillar, Automeris io (Fabricius) ( Plate 4 ). This is a pale green caterpillar with yellow and red stripes. It often exceeds 2" in length and is fairly stout-bodied. The nettling organs are borne on fleshy tubercles, and the spines are usually yellow with black tips. They feed on a wide range of plants, but ixora and rose are their favorite hosts."

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_IN014

3. Mrs_stuart

I think that must be it... I looked at the site and it was pretty cool...who would have thunk that there was so many catapillers that could give you an ouchie!!!!!! thanks.

Belinda

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I just never touch any of them. My mother told me when I was a child that some would sting, so I've always had a healthy respect for them. And you know, if the chickens won't touch it, it HAS to be nasty!

5. Mrs_stuart

I found it by mistake...as i was picking beans, it was on the underside of a leaf and i didnt see it until it was too late...ouch!!!! :eek:

Belinda

6. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

One of those got me this year. Major ouchie! :waa: My sympathies.

7. JulieNC

JulieNC Well-Known Member

I have been stung and bitten by all sorts of things, but NOTHING was worse than those stinking fire ants! We were in Florida a few weeks ago for my daughter's basketball, and I stepped in a fire ant hill hidden in the grass. I was lucky to get away with only 8 bites, two of which are STILL festering. Those things are vicious!!! Makes me very glad to live in NC--I don't think they've made it here yet.

Sympathies on the bite. When I get the stinging/biting things in my garden, it almost makes me want to use pesticides. :)