Mystery predator!!!!

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by melissalark, Sep 6, 2017.

1. melissalark

melissalark Active Member

I recently lost 20 chickens and 3 ducks to some type of predator. I found no chicken feathers and only one dead, wet chicken. It ripped a huge hole in my duck pen. I have put out trail cams and haven't got any pictures of the creature coming back. My father-n-law put a camera about a mile from our house and got a picture of a large bobcat. My birds are officially on lockdown in their run. I was wondering if there was some other types of birds I could put with them to protect them.

2. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Birds?....
    Sound like you need a dog or a couple of dogs.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I'd suggest the Cassowary.
    http://awesci.com/cassowary-dangerous-bird-earth/
    upload_2017-9-6_21-24-41.jpeg

BridgetMI, aart and barnbilder like this.
  4. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

Woah, it's like a turkey-rhea with a mohawk!!

BridgetMI likes this.
  5. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

You need a guard dog

6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you saying you lost all these at one time or over a few days?? A bobcat will kill and take some with them----they will usually shallow bury/cover up the other dead close buy and come back for them. 2 or more will do some serious killing in one night, From Personal Experience. I have always managed to catch them or caught at least one after each attack and the attacks stopped for a long time(months/year or two) Then I get hit again. The last attack was a few years back. I do have a GP dog and have had her for over 2 years---she patrols inside the 1 1/2 acre 6ft high fenced in area that had all the coops in it except for a few chicken tractors I have spread around outside that area some times---but the tractors have never been hit by a bobcat----they are out in the open fields.

Edited to ask----How Big Is a "HUGE" hole??

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  7. aart

aart HOW do they DO that?

What material was hole ripped thru?

Also wondering if all 20 were lost in one event?
    Wonders if some escaped thru hole and will show up later?

8. melissalark

My chickens were lost in two events and my ducks were killed in a third event. This happened about a week ago. Only one came back. The hole that was ripped in the chickenwire was about 3 feet long. About three days ago a bald eagle showed up at our pond and has been staying there most of the day so apparently I can't have free range anything. Ugh!

9. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

Bear or big kitty maybe. Bigger than a bobcat

10. melissalark

That's the thing, we don't have bears or cats bigger than bobcats. Whatever it is, it is very sneaky. I have 2 dogs and they are good at protecting from raccoons and opossum but whatever this thing is they apparently are tucking their tails and hiding from it.

11. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry for your losses.
    What state are you in, btw ?
    Kind of hard to tell, what kind of predators you are dealing with, without a state.

What kind of chicken wire do you have in place ?
    If it is, that lightweight hex shaped wire, then yes, you will have problems.

My runs are dog kennel chain link panels. I recently added a smaller used kennel
    for my youngest ducks. It's only 4 foot high but it keeps them in and hopefully
    other bigger critters out. They are put in a small coop for lockdown at night,
    which is inside the kennel yard.

BridgetMI likes this.
  12. aart

aart HOW do they DO that?

Were all birds taken via hole in wire? Yeah, chicken wire keeps chickens but many thing can go thru it like butter.

13. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with this. Chicken wire is to keep chickens in, want keep a decent size predator out.

Chain-linked dog kennel panels are "free" if you get them used. Really better than free----they can keep/help you from loosing Many chickens and you can resell them if you choose and get All your money back. I bought my first 10ftx10ftx6ft kennel in 1995 for $65 and a second one shortly after for $75. I been using them for 22 years and could sell them today for $100 each---a profit. They are still good and have protected----nothing has ever torn through the wire. (My bobcat problems came from the free ranging chickens not being closed up yet---I worked till 9pm then I closed the door---or they dug under a privacy fence that served as a fence on one side---don't use it anymore.)

I see people hunting used 10x10 dog kennels all the time---in my area if one pops up for sell used for around $100 its sold in a few minutes---have to be quick. I bought about 60 more of these kennels and they have done their job plus they are very fast to install. I recently added a extra 80ft x 80ft foot(app 6000sqft) chain linked run and it only took 2 hours by myself----fast to install----no pic of it-----but this is a partial pic of some of the other chicken pens with netting across the top. Only Way I would go or suggest!

Attached Files:

14. Alder

Alder Well-Known Member

Yes, chicken wire is not secure. Back it up with something stronger. Even a coon or possum can rip chicken wire.

15. Bails

Bails Member

We have heard many times that one of the best property defence are guinea fowl. They will holler and screech at any intruder to the point they will scare the crap out of a grizzly. An old fashion property survalanse. Keep the old 12 gauge handy.
    About ten years ago, when we moved from our farm on the hill to our little farm in the woods, we had some beautiful rhoade island red hens and a rooster that a friend hatched for us and they were just starting to lay. Then new years eve that year a mink got into the coop and killed all of them but the rooster and one hen. What a heart ache!!

16. dyrne

dyrne Well-Known Member

We've occasionally seen bobcat chasing whitetail deer here in kentucky... I don't think anything other than an emu or something would give them much pause. A large flock of guineas maybe... I know people like Guineas but the second the entire flock decides to perch on your neighbors roof, cars or wreck their garden and crap over everything they own... you'll have problems. You either need a dog or metal roofing for the sheeting on your pens I'd say.

17. melissalark

I got a picture of a fox last night.

18. melissalark

IMG_3029.jpg