Mystery Plant

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Elffriend, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Elffriend

Elffriend Well-Known Member

Back in March, when it was really too early to plant out anything other than peas, we had a warm spell and my 8 yr old and I decided to do a little experiment. We planted some 5 yr old seeds just to see if they would grow. On my side of the kiddie pool we are using as a raised bed, I planted 2 zucchini and 2 yellow squash. On his side of the pool DS planted two pumpkins and 2 cantaloupe. We have never successfully grown either of those.

All four of the seeds I planted came up and only 1 on of his did. Here are three pictures of what should be either a pumpkin or a cantaloupe. I am leaning toward pumpkin even though it isn't vining because the flowers just don't look like a cantaloupe.

Ignore the white powdery stuff, it's just a bit of DE. The third picture shows the first female flower.

http://home.comcast.net/~lisajeanmy/20060606/

2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

I'm going to lean towards pumpkin too. :) I grew cantaloupe last year and I can't for the life of me remember what the flowers looked like, but I know the leaves looked a lot different than that!

3. alabamared

alabamared Well-Known Member

Looks like squash to me.
    Red

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

yep. looks exactly like the zucchini in my garden. or maybe crookneck.

5. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Another vote for squash here :shrug:

/VM

6. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

And another vote for squash. I have pumpkins and canteloupes growing, neither looks like that.

7. Elffriend

Hmm, I wonder how that happened? I only gave him the pumpkin and cantaloupe envelopes and he only planted two of each.

The plant itself is smaller than the two zucchini and yellow squash on the other side of the pool, but that could just be cause the others are kind of crowded.

Ah, well, he is happy it germinated and now has flowers, even if it isn't his long hoped for pumpkin.

(oops, edited to say that the plant is NOT smaller, it is larger)

8. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I seem to be finding more and more mixed up seeds in packets - my row of rhubarb chard (red ribbed) has several white ribbed plants in it. Last year pack of broccoli seeds had more unidentified flower seeds than broccoli and I still have no idea what was in the pack of spaghetti squash seeds - we ended up with 4 different, unidentifiable squashes, none of which were spaghetti squash. The worst part is we only buy seed from "reputable" companies!

9. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

yep. i bought started zucchini this year, and there were little tomato plants that came up in the pots. easy to mix up seeds. they come from the company like that sometimes.

10. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Hmmm,it's hard to tell by the pics. I think pumpkins and squash look similar during some stages,until they begin to get bigger. Looks like a pumpkin to me and if you say the boy planted pumpkin,then I'll say it's a pumpkin! :)

11. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Looks almost exactly like the zuchinni in my garden. Those don't look like canteloupe flowers or leaves.

Nikki

12. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Looks like a pumpkin plant to me also.

13. via media

via media Tub-thumper

:D This should have been a poll, Elffriend!

Please let us know what eventually ripens!

/VM

14. Elffriend

As the fruit develops I will take more pictures and post them. Right now I am still referring to it as "the mystery plant" but DS is calling it "My pumpkin that might not really be a pumpkin" :)

15. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

my vote is for zucs.

16. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

The lobed leaves look like c. pepo, which includes summer squash and the non-giant pumpkins. That little fruit in the third picture also looks like a little pumpkin. My vote is for pumpkin.

17. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I'd go with pumpkin.

18. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member