mystery illness

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatkid, Nov 20, 2005.

1. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I recently lost a yearling Nubian to an illness, but don't know what it was. I had taken her to a friend's farm for almost a week because I had planned to sell her to a dairy along with a group of goats. My friend encouraged me to keep her because she was a showy type doe. She looked very healthy when I brought her back home, but the other goats picked on her and after a day or so I noticed she wasn't eating well. Her urine seemed too dark. Her temperature was normal so I treated her with Probios and thiamine. One evening I noticed her breathing through her mouth after I fed the goats, but she was better that night and had no nasal or eye discharge. The next day she did not want any food and was grinding her teeth so I gave her calcium, thiamine, banamine and nutradrench. The goats are all free fed baking soda. The next day her temperature was sub normal so I rushed her to the vet who put her on IV fluids, and gave her antibiotics and thiamine.He x-rayed her and saw no signs of internal bleeding or hardware disease. Her bloodwork showed her red blood cells were rupturing, a high white blood cell count and that her liver and kidneys had shut down. She may have gotten some moldy hay. The vet said that wouldn't have caused those symptoms but a friend said it may have on top of the stress of being moved around, the resulting hay changes and the fact that her twin doelings and sister were sold. I also wonder if she may have eaten something which poisoned her or injured her intestines. The rest of my goats are doing just fine. The doe did not bloat and her feces looked normal. She was producing milk until the day I took her to the vet. She died that afternoon, despite veteranary care. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have.

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't a clue......really wish I did. :confused: Sorry for your loss.

3. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

I agree, and the symptoms sound a lot like those described for poisoning from wilted cherry leaves---labored breathing, bright red blood, damaged liver.

Do you have any wild cherries or plums in your pasture? Supposedly right after a frost is a dangerous time.

Sure sorry to hear about your little doe.

Nancy

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i'm very sorry for your loss. do you still have the carcass? you could send it in for a necropsy. what do you mean with "her red blood cells were rupturing " ?
    white bloodcells in high numbers would indicate an infection in the body.
    one thing comes in my mind though. could she have had leptospirosis?

5. goatkid

We don't have any fruit trees on or near our property. Terer is a gravel road adjacent to our property. but this wasn't the goat who would come begging treats from passers by. Our vet said that he didn't think the doe had anything that could be passed on to the rest of the herd, but that if any more goats died of the same thing to have an autopsy done.

6. goatkid

The goat was severly anemic but wasn't showing signs of parasites. Something was going on with her red blood cells.

7. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

you said "was". Is she gone now? If not, you can treat the anemia with plain old black strap molasses. I would worm with a white wormer once every five days for 15 days, then I would giver her a dose of ivomec.
    Did your friend worm her???
    Many times, you can kill a goat that is heavily loaded with worms by getting rid of too many worms at one time. They lay in the intestinal tract like shag carpet. Whey they are all ripped out of there, the goat will die of internal bleeding. Worm in small amounts, and she should not have that happen. Good luck to you.

8. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I am SO sorry for your loss. I really do hope that the vet was right and that whatever she had does not get passed onto the rest of your herd. Good Luck, bye.

9. goatkid

We lost this goat. I read on another website about leptospirosis. The symptoms do look familiar, however this appears to be a tropical disease and we live in a very dry area of the country, but since the goat yard is near a Spring wetland, should any other goats show the same symptoms, I'll have the vet test for it and I'll also administer BioMycin right away since this is the treatment for both lepto and many other infections. I have also heard of severly infested goats dying from heavy worming. A friend has bad parasite problems in one of her Boer pastures and has lost a few goats that way. She worms with either Ivermectin or Valbazen. I have used both on my goats with no problems.