mystery death

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by marciallopez, Jun 5, 2006.

1. marciallopez

marciallopez Rabbit Guy in Polk City

hey Guys,

Ok. I found one of my does dead this morning. She had stopped eating and seem in good health otherwise. She was supposed to be bred due on May 30.

This is the 3 doe that dies on me in similar way. The other ones also stopped eating and died after a week or so. I read about intestinal problems, but how in the world do I control this problem ?????

HELP.

2. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

I can't help you. But that happened to me, too. My vet even sent two of mine to be analyzed, but to no avail. If you find out what it is, I'd like to know.

3. Bernadette

Bernadette Enjoying Polish Rabbits

Ask yourself: What do you feed? How much and how often? Treats? What kind of houseing? Drafts? Heat? Patterns and similarities between these three? What is different between these three and the rest of your rabbits? These are the questions I've been told to examine to figure out what's happening with my own rabbits.

4. dixonsrabbitry

dixonsrabbitry Well-Known Member

Agrees with burnadette. Its also a good idea to have those rabbits checked out and do something for them when they go off their feed. Do not let them go a week before asking about it. If i had a rabbit that, I would do everything I could to save it. Force feed it to stimulate an appetite. And maybe seek professional help over it. You could have something going on with your herd like coccidia. Which will cause a rabbit to stop eatinag and drop dead like that. And its doesn't have to show signs of dihrea either to have coccidia. If you have never treated your herd for it in that past, it may be a good idea to give them a treatment for it. Its very easy to purchase some sulquin, or corrid products at your area feed stores, or rabbit show cage vendors. All you do is mix a teaspoon of that per gallon of water and give it to the rabbit. And if the rabbit does not respond to any treatments of any kind, then by all means put it down. Don't let it go for a week, and let it drop on its own. Im sorry if I sound mean or harsh. But its a huge pet peeve of mine, since there are alot of rabbit ailments that can be successfully dealt with with the right amount of research. You could also have a disease of some sort going on. Were the rabbits showing any other symptoms besides lack of appetite? Sneezing? Dihrea? I would start taking this seriously since you have said this is the third animal you have lost like that.

5. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

My personal opinion................

When trying to determine the reason for rabbit deaths, you need to
    open them in order to evaluate the condition of their organs,
    intestines, etc. You need to look for abnormalities when compared
    to healthy rabbits that you have processed in the past. If you don't
    know what "healthy" organs look like, perhaps you can find someone
    who can help with the necropsy.

It's possible the rabbit had a hairball. She could have had
    complications from the pregnancy. It could be that none of the
    deaths are from the same cause.

Evaluation......after death......could be helpful in prevention
    and assist with future welfare issues.

6. dixonsrabbitry

dixonsrabbitry Well-Known Member

Evaluation......after death......could be helpful in prevention
    and assist with future welfare issues.

*Agrees.* Also if you can't do it yourself you can pay to have a vet do it for you.

7. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Yup, after three does lost you should really get a necropsy to see whats going on, and stop it from hopefully happening again. Also try to be more attuned to whats going on with your rabbits, bowl stays full, there's something wrong. If you put paper under that cage and the rabbits isn't having bowel movements or the feces don't look normal you need to start treating for gut statis/hairballs. Don't wait to see if they'll eat or get better, they won't. I can't see losing three does in a row to woolblock, so seriously get a necropsy in case it is a disease that can wipe out your rabbits.