Mystery bush identification

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Thinkinaboutit, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Thinkinaboutit

Thinkinaboutit Well-Known Member

Anybody have any idea what this plant is? I found these beautiful bushes full of succulent red berries in the woods near me. Am wondering if we can eat these or not but have no idea what they are. I scanned a twig of it but can't figure out how to post the scan. Will keep trying. In the meantime, here's an imperfect description: The bushes are waist height or less with red berries that don't grow in clusters, but singly or double. the leaves are about 1.25" long and .75" wide, and are opposite each other along the stem (or branch). The bushes are rather short, and the berries are bright red (a little lighter red than cranberry red), somewhat translucent and somewhat soft to the touch. I am in zone 7 so average temp for this time of year is about 80. --Thinkinaboutit

2. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

LOOks like a current. BUT make sure by tasting a squished berry. If bitter its not good to eat. If sweet or sour, its more likely ok.

It isn't a currant. It is probably the chokecherry.

[​IMG]