Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Putting me up an order right now ... which of those types of squash do you think might be able to handle a light frost or two?

I've still got about a 6 weeks before the first frost date, but generally the first month we have fairly light frosts and a cover might keep the plants okay.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Ernie, sorry, but only have had winter squash survive a mild frost when covered. But some yellow summer squash makes in 45-60 days, when you start with warm Sept temps...; go for it! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Ernie, sorry, but only have had winter squash survive a mild frost when covered. But some yellow summer squash makes in 45-60 days, when you start with warm Sept temps...; go for it! Good luck.
The crookneck are definitely fast - they can be canned by the way - people laugh at that notion, and the joke is on them.

I tried some pints with quarts of beans when we had 3 or 4 open spots in the canner.

After frost they will flatten out like hot cakes. One year I beat the frost back by inverting a thick foam hot tub over top of a few plants.

We had hauled the tub out here in the PU Truck like Jed and Granny Clampett

Straightnecks are supposed to be more tender.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the yellow crook neck is 41 days...but i would try one of the zucs too.

you should try the bloomsdale spinach as i had great sucess with it this past fall and winter with it surviving temps as low without cover to lows of -10f on south slope.come spring i had fresh leaves to harvest in a matter of days and until the coldest temps hit in winter i was harvesting every other day.

i planted alaska peas a week ago and it poured the rain a few days and high humidity and now i have peas up 2 to 3 inches tall with multiple leaves on stems...i think i will get a harvest...i have harvested them as late as thanksgiving in past.

sidenote about bloomsdale in raised bed ..i let it go to bloom once the heat came on and many seed fell off the stems...guess what...when conditions got right the past few weeks...wal la..instant beautiful stand of spinach....without me planting or doing a thing.i will be harvesting in a week or two....go permaculture no work gardening....lol

Reactions: BlueRose and Rick

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ernie dont forget cucumbers...boston one is 52 days..i have used them like squash when cooking.most think of them as pickles and not cooking....cut a onion up.a few cukes and a hardful of hamburger and toss on your favorite seasoning in a tinfoil pack on a fire...hobo/survival cooking and garden useage.

Reactions: BlueRose

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
the yellow crook neck is 41 days...but i would try one of the zucs too.

you should try the bloomsdale spinach as i had great sucess with it this past fall and winter with it surviving temps as low without cover to lows of -10f on south slope.come spring i had fresh leaves to harvest in a matter of days and until the coldest temps hit in winter i was harvesting every other day.

i planted alaska peas a week ago and it poured the rain a few days and high humidity and now i have peas up 2 to 3 inches tall with multiple leaves on stems...i think i will get a harvest...i have harvested them as late as thanksgiving in past.

sidenote about bloomsdale in raised bed ..i let it go to bloom once the heat came on and many seed fell off the stems...guess what...when conditions got right the past few weeks...wal la..instant beautiful stand of spinach....without me planting or doing a thing.i will be harvesting in a week or two....go permaculture no work gardening....lol
Same temps and Bloomsdale results here winter 2013/2014. We had Fordhook Swiss Chard replant year after year 10 years ago.

And here we had snow peas skip a season and replant 2 years later along the fence!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I like how they have their page set up. It makes it easy to find things. I just might have to order some seeds since I want to try to grow a few things in a greenhouse during the winter, and am out of things I wanted to try.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my way of planting in various batches this year is doing what i was hoping it would extend my harvest of tomatoes to late in year.my indeterminate heirloom is setting more fruit daily and the trellis is going to allow a blanket to be tossed over it like a clothes line.

i have two half grow zuke plants coming on and i feel sure i will be getting a few late in garden season.

Reactions: BlueRose and Rick

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts