myotonic goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Gracy, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Gracy

Gracy Member

Hi, I am new to this site. I am wondering does anyone raise myotonic goats or goats cross bred with them? I have two doelings and would enjoy talking to someone who also has them.

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Hi! Welcome to the forum. I don't raise myotonic goats, but as a fellow Texan, wanted to say Howdy! What part of Texas are you in...I'm in central Texas, east of Austin.

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We have some myotonics. They are nice, and super easy keepers. Are you on some of the yahoogroups for fainting goats? There are several.

4. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I don't raise thm, but I also wanted to welcome you to this site. I am sure you will really enjoy it, it has lots of info. Just remember that everyone does things different, and just because someone does something with their herd, that does not mean it is best for everyone. I am sure you will see lots of different opinions. Welcome aboard.

5. Gracy

Gracy Member

Thanks for making me feel so welcome....I am located south of Houston in a little town near Galveston. Actually, I just took my goats to Missouri to be with my parents and their herd. We are moving there next year and looking forward to it. I just love my little doelings, their mother is a boer goat and they are crossed with the myotonic.... I am hoping in the future to get a myotonic buck...

6. luvfarmin04

luvfarmin04 Well-Known Member

I live in Illinois and have a herd of about 15 myotonics. I just love them. Easy to keep, not fence walkers or jumpers. I also have 3 pygmys, a boer, 4 babydoll sheep, and a mixed breed sheep. :)

7. Loda Farm

Loda Farm Well-Known Member

I have a Myotonic herd of 3 does and a buck. I also have Boers and a pygmy.
    I have bred my myotonic to Boers and pygmies, and really like the combination I am getting so far with breeding to the Boers. I will be breeding a Myotonic/Boer doe this summer to a Boer Buck, and am excited to see what they produce for me.

Fainters are so much fun, I get a real kick out of them sometimes, and the others are right, they are probably the easiest goats to keep, I know a breeder that keeps them in with 4 ft hog panels, and even the bucks stay in. My Boers would laugh at me if I tried that with them. LOL

Laura
    Loda Farm

8. Gracy

Gracy Member

I heard that the myotonics are slow growers. I have not been around goats before. My doelings are about 7 months old and are still small compared to the seven month old boers. They are about 17 1/2 to 18 inches tall and weigh about 45-50 lbs. Guess time will tell how big they will be. I know the myotonics are smaller goats and their Daddy was shorter than the boer doe. They do have some strange names... the doe is named "Keith" and the doelings are "Rose" and "Jake". My grandson named Jake ,he said Jake is a girls name. His name is Jacob and doesn't like to be called Jake.

9. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

Fainters come in different sizes and shapes. We've had a buck that maxed at 35lbs and a wether that is 125!

Pretty much pick what you like and stick with it. We go for the 'low to the ground' sausage type that TN Marshall county 'locals' claim teh original Nervous Goat (they don't call them myos there) looked like.

If you are in Missouri, there are a lot of great breeders out your way - the IFGA has a breeders list - just start typing (or calling!) www.faintinggoat.com is their site.

Feel free to holler if you ever want to get hooked up (as in goat wise lol) with some of the 'old' folks in TN :) My mentor lives next door to most of them!!!

Andrea
    www.faintinggoat.net