Myotonic goat??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if a Myotonic and a Fainting goat are the same? Would there be any reason to use these maybe with a Boer buck or would it be counter-productive? Thanks.

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

They are the same and it would make the Boer a lot easier to catch!!

Seriously though I dont think Id cross breed them with anything

3. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

They aren't really as meaty as a boer, are they?

4. Loda Farm

Loda Farm Well-Known Member

I would NOT breed a Boer Billy to a fainter doe. (btw, Myotonic and Fainter are the same), Boers are MUCH larger, and the fainter does will have a very hard time delivering. However, I do breed my fainter buck to Boer does, and have been very pleased with the outcome. None of the kids are old enough yet to breed with the boer billy, but they are VERY meaty. I will try to post a pic later of one of my doelings.

Laura

5. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Do any of the crosses seem to carry the fainting gene?

6. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

The fainting condition is recessive - so if you cross fainter x boer - first generation will be a carrier - you cross this back to a full fainter you'll have the fainting condition!

HTH

Andrea

7. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Protect your fainters from predators. There are folks around here who use fainters as decoys. They put fainters in with their "better" goats so if predators get in the feild, the fainters will "faint" and they will become the prey rather than the other goats. Hey, I don't do this, just telling you what they are occasionally used for. That fainting gene can get them in trouble.

8. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

yup, apparently this has been done through the years.

Honestly though a predator is going to get anything if it's hungry enough - we use LGD's with ours.

Andrea

9. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

Myotonic goats are something I can't figure out in a "values" sort of way, even after spending an evening "researching" them on line when I first heard of them. I don't have a judgement about them, I know they are meat goats and a curiosity, but what's the point??? Don't answer that!

Now I imagine a good cross would be Kiko and Boer . . . in looking up myo goats I read on Kikos, apparently gain weight on pasture only even faster than a Boer. Just what I read :) .

10. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Yep, the story goes that they were used by shepherds to protect their sheep in the same way.

11. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I have owned a couple of Fainter/Boer does. They were the resulting offspring of a Fainter buck over a FB Boer doe. They did have a slight tendency to sieze up if surprised but it was rare and never a true faint. They were smaller than a Boer but bigger than a fainter. they produced nice kids when bred Boer, but nothing spectacular.
    I wouldn't go out of my way to aquire a fainter to add to my meat herd....but if you have one already, Boer will add meat to the kids. Personally, I prefer to to cross Boers with dairy.....very good offspring that way. :)

12. mrs.H

mrs.H Romans 8:28

Hi,
    I am planning on getting a few of these when I finaly get to TN. As I understand it, they can't jump. As in over the fence over the gate onto your car. Hopefuly I won't need a Fort Knox fence.

I intend to graze them with my other animals to help maintain pasture health. Goats prefer brushy bushy things, sheep prefer weeds and grass (I believe) and the cows will like the better grasses.

The fact that they don't get that big is a pluss for me. I also plan on getting Dexter cows and they are smaller also.

When you get over the first shock of seeng one fall over like a piece of wood, it's kind of funny. They don't hurt them selves.

So I don't know why any one else would want them but thats my reasoning.

13. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

Here's a picture of a myotonic meat goat:

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/

Myotonics are bred for meat, show, and pets and the size and weight can vary greatly.
    HF

14. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

15. copperpennykids

copperpennykids Well-Known Member Supporter

Just so you know, Boers don't jump much either. They are pretty mellow in temperament, and some folks have them simply as pets (if you could get bottle babies you would probably be really happy, or else from a smaller breeder who can spend more time with their goats.
    They are also NOT escape artists. If you keep a buck, then you would need a sturdy pen, otherwise no different from dairy goats.
    Lots of Dairy Goat breeders breed their first fresheners to Boer for easier delivery (and so they don't have kids from a goat that freshens with a so-so udder) as their heads are smaller, even Togg breeders do this.