Mycotoxin poisoning

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MrsLewis, May 8, 2005.

1. MrsLewis

MrsLewis Member

Has anyone had any experience with this? My main milking doe is foaming sorta with drool hanging out of her mouth and I found that their hay (perinenal Peanut) had gotten wet. Is this what I am dealing with and WHAT do I do for this girl? Help.....

Blessings,

2. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

howdy just made a post about this below....i dont think the goat would have easten wet hay...know mine wont...if it's not fresh or on the ground my goats wont touch it...might be frothy/foamy bloat...give baking soda free choice and fresh water/hay[dry]/and a tsp of oil..cooking oil that is...and so-be if you have it on hand...i am starting to wonder if something isnt going on with goats your the second poster today with this problem so far that I have read...I hope vivki gets on soon and sees ya'lls post...she is the goat guru around here lol...hope this helps till vicki can post...dale anne

3. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

This time of year in Ga.... speaking from past experience...... look for bracken ferns or azaleas.... I used to have to drench a few of my girls with oil each spring when they would eat these. They foam and drool and have nasty green stuff hanging from their mouths..... it is a form of poisoning. The oil coated their rumen and got it on thru ..... they may have a bit of diarreha after the oil but it beat the alternative.....
    Tana Mc

4. MrsLewis

MrsLewis Member

AFter finding another picture of bracken fern, I know this is it. I looked at the one on goat world and that doesn't look like what we have in our pasture but I found another photograph and this is exactly what is in the pasture at the back end where it is kinda swampy. Another thing is that Friday, my daughter picked me some greenery for a centerpiece on the table and by Sat. afternoon, they were wilted so I told her to put them in the compost pile....well, she came back in and said that Raven wanted to eat them while she was on the milking stand. That's when I looked up the bracken fern pics. Okay.....so then we are dealing with bracken fern poisoning.... What should I do? I just gave her 12cc of B complex since I read that Thiamine deficiency is what happens...what else? She is trying to browse on blackberry leaves but they are just stuffed in the side of her mouth and hanging out while she is drooling all over the place. She is also shaking badly but still standing.

Thanks for your help.
    Kimberly