My wit ended long ago...HELP

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Country dreams have skidded an earsplitting screaching halt. I have been searching for a long time and am ready to take suggestions to help me aquire my goal.
    I have $2500 in savings, bad credit, and a 28' livable RV. I require acreage large enough to quench my wanderlustful dog, close enough to a decent size city for work purposes and private enough so wander dog won't get hit by moving truck. I was even thinking of putting an ad in the paper to maybe rent some acreage until I could save more to buy my own, but would people want to do that? I assume someone somewhere would, but that's a lot of ads in the paper.
    Peer into my life story and tell me the link to connect my two worlds please!!

Thanks in advance:

Niki =)

2. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

I understand your post, Niki, but it troubles me quite a bit. It seems you are ready to change your life around to please an animal. Your post says you want
    this property so you dog can run wild and be safe. You don't say that you want to do anything with the land other than park your RV there.

I have pets, too, and I love them as well, but I don't let them decide my fate.
    I also think it is irresponsible to let a dog run free, even in the country, outside of your own property, owned or rented, as they can be a nuissance to your neighbors and a hazzard to drivers if the animal gets onto the roads. I lost a dear friend many years ago because she crashed her car rather than hit a dog on an empty country road.

You may know that your dog is harmless, at least as you have seen. You don't know what a dog is doing when it is out on its own, or running with other dogs. The sweetest dog can change when it is in a different situation and become vicious to people it doesnt know or other animals. How many posts have we seen right here on this forum of people having trouble with neighbors' dogs coming onto their property, threatening them, their kids or their animals? My own dog was killed on my property recently by a neighbor's much larger dog.

If you want to change your life and live in the country and enjoy the rural lifestyle, be as self sufficient as you can, thats great and I will be the first one to applaud you. But if you only want it so your dog can run free, I think you have your life priorities out of order.

JMHO

Donovan

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I agree with Donovan.

I love my dogs. And, because I love my dogs, I would never let them run free. The short list of hazards for dogs who run loose include highways, cars going fast down dirt roads, coyotes or big cats or packs of feral dogs (dumped or left to run free, which led them to getting hopelessly lost :no: ), po'ed cows or horses, tick disease, venomous snakes, and crazed hunters.

I also really like all my neighbors. And that's another reason I would never let my dogs run free here. Loose dogs around here get shot, and for good reason. I work hard to ensure my dogs don't pester the neighbors' horses, goats, chickens and cows, and that they *know* my neighbors so they don't threaten them, either.

If you want your dog to run free, get into a place with good, high chain link. Otherwise, be prepared to lose your dog. :(

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Like countrygrrrl said, remember that most people who are doing what you say you want to do will shoot your dog the second it threatens their livelihood. I personally work waaay to hard to stand back and watch a chickenlust dog mess with my stock. If your dog has a big case of wanderlust, then that dog is not the one to be starting out your life in the country with.

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

What state do you live in? A down payment of $2,500 is just FINE in some areas of the USA, but will get you nothing in California or Hawaii.

Since your credit is not so good, you can expect to pay higher interest than some people, but that is not TOO bad. Interest rates are down right now.

One way to find an area is to try to find work in an area where land prices are fairly low. Then, find a bit of land to buy. If the larger banks will not loan to you, try the local banks. Larger banks have stricter regulations than small ones.

Oh, yes, one more thing. I don't care HOW far out you move, your dog WILL be at risk of being hit by a car. Where there is a road, there WILL be cars. And, to make things worse, dogs have a herd mentality. If your dog becomes buddies with a dog that chases stock or kills chickens, he WILL teach your dog to do the same. And, if someone catches your dog even chasing a cow for FUN... :no:

If you love your dog, don't risk it. :no:

6. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

As has been posted elsewhere..... cheap land prices generally = very few job opportunities close by.

Here in Central Idaho bare ground is going between $2500 and 7000.00 per acre, no water, no power, no sewer installed..... mostl have only an access road which needs improved..... but the catch is there aint no jobs here either...... or very few paying high enough to warrant purchase of property with a mortgage.

If you do get a property purchase a chain link kennel for your dog at least for while you are away from home..... not as expensive as paying the nieghbor to replace livestock lost, or vet bills from someone hurting, but not killing your dog.

If you are interested in what some land is gpoingfor around these parts.... www.landandauction.com is one of the many realaators in the area, and he has 5 acre parcels he caries the contract on sometimes.

just a thought.

William

7. daileyjoy

daileyjoy Well-Known Member

Nikki , get regisitered and pm me I know a place that can help you.

Jennifer

8. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

My first recommendation would be to clean up your credit record. Its a chore, I know, but you really don't want to start out in the country with a whole lot of debt or bad credit if you can help it. Once you buy acreage you'll have a well to maintain (or dig), you'll have to build shelters for your animals, you'll have to pay for the gas to get to and from work (and the grocery store), depending on how reliable the power supply in your area is you'll have to buy a generator or figure out some way to heat your home and get water with no power. It takes money to put in a garden, buy fencing, and maintain a septic tank.

I'm with everyone else on the dog issue. Control your animal or someone else will control it for you. I personally would have no qualms about shooting my neighbor's dog if I found it bothering my goats.

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

......................My .02's worth, ....Since your credit is in thew dumper I would FOCUS exclusively on buying ...Owner financed property. You will pay a higher rate of interest but your goal will become "doable" much sooner. I would't pay more than than 1500 down as you'll need a 1,000 or so to buy the fencing materials for a proper fence for your "best friend". I wouldn't try to purchase more than 5 acres given your finances. Also, build your "fenced in" area big enough for your dog but forget about building a perimeter fence around your whole property at this time. That will come further down the road as your finanical situation improves....fordy..... :eek: :)

10. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmm....... is "Jagger" back as 'unregistered'?

11. .
    Peer into my life story and tell me the link to connect my two worlds please!!

Thanks in advance:

Niki =)[/QUOTE]

How can we 'peer into my lifestory' when we don't even know your life story? Tell us!

12. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

If an owner is smart and is going to 'owner finance' they will insist on a credit check or at least following up with recent creditors themselves. You really can't afford to buy right now. Think insurance, taxes and other expenses. Figure your net worth and live within your means. Save some money for future purchase.

The dog issue of running free is a Disney fable. Be outside with your dog if he is off-leash and make sure he is well-trained to return to you. Otherwise, if I find your dog bothering me too often he will go to a good home, the pound, or, as others mentioned, farmers may shoot the dog to stop the harassment of crops/livestock. I do believe working dogs can be off-leash with minimal supervision if they are well-trained, have proven themselves for a period of time with supervision and there are no neighbor issues.

If you are in a city now, there are often fenced in dog parks that you can take your dog to. Find areas where you can hike and let him off-leash with you. Run him with a bike. Just don't leave him loose to his own devices.

13. Acreage doesn't have to be expensive enough to require financing, and when it is you can often find contract terms that require no credit check. You didn't give any general location where you might be willing to relocate, but if you look in the western US you are sure to find property for sale that will fit most any budget.

Concentrate on Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Nevada. Southern Colorado also has some terrific deals. Look in the Land Finder at eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/realestate/land.html

Just select a state and browse the listings. Of course land is generally more expensive when utilities are available, but great deals are sometimes available with utilities.

Shallow groundwater can be a real asset, and is available in many of the areas I mentioned. Visit the property, talk to local residents & county regulators, and do your homework! I know of properties near towns where you are sure to find work for less than $1000 for a 1 acre lot.

With your current budget you won't be able to afford a septic system, which will require at least $2000, but you can take your travel trailer to a sanitary dump occationally. If anyone has an inexpensive alternative to a septic system (other than an outhouse), PLEASE POST!

14. Gina

Gina Active Member

Grey water can be used to water plants IF you don't use any toxic chemicals. For blackwater (toilet) you can use a composting toilet.

Gina