Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I checked to see if I was Drawn for a Deer Hunt :nanner: I was. Bad thing is two years ago I said I wouldn't put in for the Hunt again because it was too hard.

But last year I went ahead and put in, didn't get drawn but my Son did, I went as a Guide, but I still got Preference Points . My Son said he wouldn't put in again because it tore him up :shrug: Cool it isn't just me.

Told my wife I got drawn, she said she was going to set up Camp and take care of things there, plus cut Deer up if I get one. She likes going and really enjoys it even if she sleep on a Army Cot, in a cold Tent.

big rockpile

Reactions: light rain

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Good for you. But I'm curious why you have to be in drawing for a deer? Here in Texas, you just go get a hunting license -- no drawing necessary. I figure I'm missing something?

Reactions: RichNC

·
Super Moderator
9,444 Posts
can you explain what tears you up wears you out ect...

my hunting crew is getting older , 3 over 80 with close following in the 70 , 60 , 50s

we hunt were often 2-3 only need to get 50 yards from the truck , then take up their camp chair , my brother , a cousin in his 60s who is in good shape and I end up doing a lot of the walking

I brought my ice fishing sled to put the deer in 5 feet long 9 inch sides 2 foot wide sturdy plastic , that makes it so much easier hauling them out and putting them in the truck , when you go to lift it is like moving a stretcher and not a limp body into the truck also no blood on the tail gait so it doesn't get hosed off and then we ride around on a wet tail gate

mostly i feel dress and haul the majority of the deer

anyway i want to keep it all going as long as i can for everyone , this is going to be my sons first year

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are you going? Caney?
Yes going to Caney Mountain.

Good for you. But I'm curious why you have to be in drawing for a deer? Here in Texas, you just go get a hunting license -- no drawing necessary. I figure I'm missing something?
Oh we buy Tags too for General Seasons but we put in for Special Managed Hunts in certain areas of the state.

can you explain what tears you up wears you out ect...

my hunting crew is getting older , 3 over 80 with close following in the 70 , 60 , 50s

we hunt were often 2-3 only need to get 50 yards from the truck , then take up their camp chair , my brother , a cousin in his 60s who is in good shape and I end up doing a lot of the walking

I brought my ice fishing sled to put the deer in 5 feet long 9 inch sides 2 foot wide sturdy plastic , that makes it so much easier hauling them out and putting them in the truck , when you go to lift it is like moving a stretcher and not a limp body into the truck also no blood on the tail gait so it doesn't get hosed off and then we ride around on a wet tail gate

mostly i feel dress and haul the majority of the deer

anyway i want to keep it all going as long as i can for everyone , this is going to be my sons first year
Hills tear us up I have pics but don't do it justice. I have a Deer Cart, it helps but once we are in there and the hunt is on we can't bring anyone that an't hunting in there to help. I did have two Guys help me get a Buck out one time.

My Dream Home

big rockpile

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah share more Pics just for the heck

big rockpile

·
Super Moderator
9,444 Posts
i can appreciate how pictures don't do the hills justice , i have a panoramic pic taken from when i took the family on a short hike a mile half up half down to Bald Bluff 1070 feet

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/pr/PR0231.pdf you can see from the dnr pamphlet a picture of the hill , it doesn't look like much but from the top you can see a long ways

can you quarter deer and haul them out in pieces on a pack board

a friend just got 4 ponies , and when i saw them my first thought was if you put a pack saddle on them how much weigh in gear could i put on them because they are small and light enough you could put 2 of them in the back of a truck if you made a proper crate and a ramp

ant way start waking every day , carry something and walk as much as you can to get in shape for it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
good for you that she is goin, its good to have a dragger and a skinner !:lock:

caney is some hard rock and straight up and straight down as I rember. good luck !

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good for you that she is goin, its good to have a dragger and a skinner !:lock:

caney is some hard rock and straight up and straight down as I rember. good luck !

Yes I was hurting from hunting Bottoms yesterday, no hills at all. My wife says remember you are drawn for Caney Mountain.

big rockpile

1 - 10 of 10 Posts