My wellies are eating my socks!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Jul 19, 2004.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

I love these farm boots, I really do.
    But with every step, my socks start to pull down farther and farther until
    they slip completely off my feet.

Then the boots rub until the blisters start.

Has anyone else had this problem? Am I wearing the wrong kind of socks?

2. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

try thick cotton tube socks, the kind that come up almost to your knee and see if they work

3. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

What type of socks do you wear? You can try wearing cotton socks and wool sock over them, at least in the winter.

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Are the boots a little loose in the foot though they fit your calf? Often a poorly fitted boot causes me this problem.

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have a high arch, you will need boots that fit loose to have enough room to shove your foot down into them. Loose boots work up and down on you feet as you walk. This causes your socks to work down. You could duct tape your socks to your legs, or get foot wear with means of tightening the ankles after you get then on.

6. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Gold-toe brand crew socks seem to have really good elastic. If I wear worn out, or cheapie socks with mine, they do the same thing! In the winter I wear those grey wool hunting socks with red tops, and they don't seem to slip down either. They must be either too tall or too heavy.

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.......................Go online and peruse the selection of Red Wing Boots . I'm sure you'll find a pair that'll fit better than what you are currently suffering with.........fordy..... :eek: :)

8. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Solution is fairly simple. Use rubber bands at the top. Just roll over enough of the top to hide the bands.

Ken Scharabok

9. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

my dh swears by red wings. Check into getting better quality socks, though first b/c red wings are costly. If you do look into the redwings, check into the ones with sewn insoles-not glued. The glued ones last about a year or less. We had one pair of his red's repaired 3 times, I think. We finally ended up with a pair of red's steel toe tennis shoes...he had an ankle injusry that gave him fits when trying to wear the boots. and no more dealing with "quitters"!

10. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I use ankle length white athletic socks because I have the same problem. As long as the socks cover your ankle bone you'll be fine.