My washing machine died yesterday!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My washing machine died yesterday with a full load of sopping wet clothes in it. Hubby said it might be fixable, but he has no idea how to fix it...no spin or drain cycles any more. It's 13 years old so now I have to find the best deal on a new one, dryer too. Dryer smells like something is burning when I use it. :eek:

Spent last night rinsing the clothes in the laundry tub and wringing them by hand.

2. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

oh, bet that was fun. :) My kids actually like scrubbing clothes in the tub. Don't do it often tho, not enought for them anyway. I mean what can beat permission to get wet and soppy and then go outside to dry off in the sun? That smell sounds like a belt, but I'm no expert so don't hold me to that. I do remember when our washer did that, it ended up being the "rocker bar". It wasn't expensive or hard to replace. Hopefully yours will be just as easy.

3. stonerebel

stonerebel Well-Known Member

Sounds like the drain pump is just stopped up, sometimes sand builds up in it or something else stops it up. Take the drain hose lose from the pump and clean it out.

4. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Ravenlost Check the lid switch. My neighbor just paid $150. to have a $3. Switch replaced. check the cams underneath,there is one that tells the pump to drain the water. Also tells the agitator to agitate and the the tub when to spin.

5. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Give us the Make and model.....we may be able to help you. Sounds like something got caught somewhere. Feel around the top of the tub. Can you turn the basket by hand?

6. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I would suggest getting DH to look them over real well,they are pretty simple once you get to looking at them..My grandmothers 15 yr old washer stoped working one day.Wouldn't pump out water or spin.Couldn't spin do to the water in it.It couldn't pump the water out do to a clogged (filter? im guessing it was).Flip it over and look for a short black rubber line (im thinking its 3/4inch in size) running from the pump to a big whitish/clear colored plastic round thing (about the size of a base ball)Theres another line running from it up and out the back of the washer,thats the drain line.Take the filter off and try running water threw it/bet its clogged.I cut off a piece of pipe about 3inches long and used it to put the two pieces of rubber line back together with out the filter.Worked great.Im assuming the filter is supposed to keep your house plumbing from clogging,our washer drained in a field so we didn't have to worry about that.Guess if you cant clean it you could replace it.
    By the way im sure DH can do this i was only 16 when i fixed my grandmothers,like i said there real simple. ;) Assuming you washer is made like this one anyway.It was a Speed Queen.

Dryers are even simpler in construction.Electric motors can smell when there over heating/dieing (pull it out run it for a few seconds and smell the motor,if its the motor you'll no,smells like wires burning).Could be from bad bearing in the tub or a bad motor.Does it turn over easy? Been hearing any weird noises from the tub turning over while its running? Might also be just a lint clog or possible failing heat element (smells more like crayons burning ).Ive heard of them getting clogged by lint inside.Wet damp lint tend the cling to things! First Check your exhaust line behind the dryer for obstructions/ or kinks (take it off and look threw it shack it out. ;)

There way cheaper to fix yourself (not buy repair man) than to replace, as long as its not motor related.A new motor could be half the cost of a new one.
    But my biggest reason for fixing them would be there age.Seriously they don't make them like that anymore.Seems every time we buy one, it cleans less than the one before it.The tubs are designed to be gentler on cloths now days.This is great if you clothes are not real dirty,if they are you better hand wash because the washer want get it out. :( Wish they would design one aimed at cleaning Gardening/ATVing/Kids clothes ! :D If i could afford one id buy a front loader,the tumbling would clean best id think.Although the tubs are small. ;)

7. Rivka

Rivka Well-Known Member

this site has saved us on new appliances and repairs
    http://fixitnow.com/

He goes through how to fix most major appliances with interactive diagrams of most makes and models. Saved us a new dryer and washer.

8. gmom

gmom Well-Known Member

Last year we had the same problem. My DD had left some hair pins in her pocket, they got caught in the part of the pump that turns. My dh found all the directions to the repair here.
    http://www.repairclinic.com/

9. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

"But my biggest reason for fixing them would be there age.Seriously they don't make them like that anymore.Seems every time we buy one, it cleans less than the one before it.The tubs are designed to be gentler on cloths now days.This is great if you clothes are not real dirty,if they are you better hand wash because the washer want get it out."

Yeah, your right, I belive this is what happens when we make thing more effecient? No?

BTW the Dryers don't dry like they used too! If I got a Sock that is waded up, it will be Damp, even after the Longest cycle....?

seems like the Timmer is the First thing that goes out...you will have to "help" the knob out a little.

10. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

One day after three years ours stopped draining - hubby took the cover off the back and took the hose off and there was a sock stuck in the beginning of the hose.

I have to say that if you do end up buying a machine, but one that is simple to repair - hubby had picked ours because it was so simply made inside something he would be able to repair if necessary. I think he called it belt driven?

Good luck

brural

11. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I haven't gone to buy the new washer and dryer because I can't find a Lowe's within a 50 mile radius that has one in stock! I've decided to wait until my FIL is here next week to see if he can fix it.

The washer is an Admiral Designer Series, 20 lb. capacity, heavy duty washer. Hubby thinks it's about 13 years old. I can't turn the basket. I did pull the washer out and will take a good look at it today. I scooped all the water out of it, but if I turn the washer over it's going to spill out what little is left. SIGH...my life is spent cleaning up messes.

My guess is that it is probably stopped up as many have suggested here. For the first half of it's life this washer was used by my bachelor hubby and his two roommates. I can only imagine the abuse it took. :no:

If I turn the dryer over it will fall apart. It is missing some screws in the front and the left side panel has come apart. I'm hoping my FIL can put it back together before it falls completely apart. And the timer on the dryer is messed up, but I've learned to adapt. ;)

12. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Just went thru a similar problem in that the washer quit.
    Checked the circutes with a line tester at the various connections.
    Turned out to be the timer which is not uncommon for them to go bad.
    Found a company on the net that I got a replacement for about half of what the local repairmen/companies wanted and unhooked the old and pluggged in the new. The part had a 90 day warrantee. Works good.
    Saved the price of a new unit and 50% of a replacement part and a service call charge. If you wnat mor info let me know.

13. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

yeah, we had a Kenmore that you had to hold the knob to the left for the spin cycle to work!

we took it apart and bent the contacts on the switch and it fixed it for a while, then it came back. :(