My venture/investment started (pics inside)

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Jan 17, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well Sunday the 17th of January 2005 we got 4 of the 17 animals. The next group comes Saturday the 22nd. These guys that came are the holsteins, atleast 4 of the 13. Out of the 4, three are quite friendly, the red holstein is a little skiddish, but I got her because she was kinda the outcast in her group, gives me a challenge, and a goal to get her some guts to stand up for herself. She will come around, we have had some like her (skiddish, not aggressive), they learn how to deal with others. But without further reading, here they are.

Registered name: Speedy

Description: She is one curious heifer, very jumpy, very alert, and playfull. I like animals with some spunk, as it keeps things lively.
    [​IMG]

Registered name: Sassy

Description: She has my birthday! She was born 4/18/04, and my birthday is 4/18/79. Kinda cool, and its neat that this was one of the first farms we checked out, and sure enough one with the same bday.

Yes to you JD lovers, that is a 4440, and one hell of a tractor. Has 8300 hours, runs great, and has some balls. I plow in 5th gear with 5btms. The tractor is at stock hp. We got it for 20k, and the tranny is full power shift, and oh oh oh, how handy that is! Lets see, chopping in 3rd, drop her to 2nd. Perhaps chop in 1st (thick), and shift to 2nd. While I cut in 6th, I can drop down to 4th and not clutch. I love power shift.

[​IMG]

Registered name: Kahlue

Description: This heifers udder at present time, shows she is going to have one hell of a udder. Its very baggy as it is now, the membrane is obvious even at her age. She will be 1 yr this coming month, but geeze. I might show this one, IMO she is something.

[​IMG]

Registered name: Fido.. We are calling her red :).

Description: This is the one I was describeing at first, she is in a pen "by herself" she has company. She was being bossed around, so we have her set so I can work with her. She will come around, but she was bossed a little. The other 3 are relaxed, and were chewing their cud, and hoggin on the feed :). She is eating, but a little nervous. BTW: This is a red holstein.

[​IMG]

To sum it all up, their teats are perfect, they are not staggered, Kahlues udder ill get a pic of, she has one extra "teat" ill get taken off, but im impressed with her. Ya know what is also interesting? *** is up with this, she tries jumping me, she did and im thinking wth? First the duck tries humping my hand, ive got a heifer trying to jump me, something aint right. But either way, she wasn't overly heavy, sure she weighs 700-800lbs, but hey :). I guess I bring the best out of the animals. But what is great, these guys are friendly!, the red isn't super but she doesn't run around the pen. Sassy, Speedy, and Kahlue are friendly, and their coats are something to desire. Very smooth, silky etc. Ya know what is also something? They like 1st cutting grass over 2nd cutting grass, that I scratch my head at. Neither is dusty, and the 2nd is higher protein... Odd.

Jeff

2. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Are they all a year old? What are they sired by?

So did you see any other signs of heat when she was jumping you or was it just from the move? I have a problem here because Dad brings the cows in from the freestall barn at night and forgets to turn the lights on because the sun is still up but it's pitch black when I take them back and a couple of times I've been jumped in the dark by cows in heat.
    I hope those horns are coming off soon. I never like seeing older heifers with horns, it's so much easier on them to take them off at 6-8 weeks.

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Kalhua will be 1 yr next month, Speedy will be 1 yr in March, and in April the other two will be 1 yr. One is the 4th, other is the 18th.

Yeah, the horns are coming off in March, they for some reason keep them on till they are older. They beleive it effects growth when you take them off, but I guess everyone has their own beleifs. Either way, they will be off in two months. The sires?

Kahluas is Outside
    Speedys is Rubens
    Fido is Rubens
    Sassy is blockbuster

I didn't check for visual signs, but she told me today she came into heat not long ago, so its possible. Atleast they are friendly!

Jeff

4. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

I have one Outside daughter, you'll like her I think. Good type and production. Rubens has really good type but generally poor production. Blockbuster must be a test bull, haven't heard of him.

5. Valmai

Valmai Well-Known Member

Why do you need to take the extra teat off? I have milked cows with three blind teats.

6. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

They look good!

Valmai, extra teats aren't necesarilly blind. Slicker came in with five teats and five quarters. The extra teat and quarter would squirt milk during milk time, which would get on her tail, which she would then smack us with.lol We let it go, it got mastits and eventually dried off and has not been a problem since but that quarter will cut into production for the first little bit every lactation.

Our crosses are coming in with some extra teats and nubbins. I have one heifer with one extra teat (and hopefully no quarter) and three extra nubbins. Egads. We didn't check when we vaccinated.

We try to dehorn in the first week of their life. We had three adult cows dehorned two years ago and it was ugly! But what they were doing to the udders and the other cows was worse.

Sounds very exciting there Jeff!

As or the jumping, sounds like she is cycling and was simply excited to see you. lol We had a show heifer cycling at the fair and she tried to jump my sister who was four months pregnant at the time. She was only 5 months old at that point.

7. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

The extra teat would not be good with show, if I showed her. That extra teat would lower the score. I gotta look her over with a sheet I have to see if she is quality, she does have that nice wide stance at the front. But their hide is very silky. Funny part is, they look fuller now, they weren't as full when they first got here. They were fed well there, but there is a difference anyhow. It is amazing what hay does over silage, and one thing I found interesting. Our beef calves $h1t more than these guys, and even my Jersey. I have yet to figure that part out. Maybe its because they eat more of their bedding. Well actually we have a steer that is 830lbs, he is not a year yet, will be late next month. Another one two months younger is 730lbs (Has a Jersey/Hereford shaped body). Those two grew like crazy! I do think the haylage we are feeding is making a difference, as one of our beefers (some distant jersey in her) was taped at 1500lbs! Her father was 1650, and I taped him at 1500, so who knows. She is huge!

Jeff

8. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Forgot to add, we have a hereford with 7 total teats ;), or they are 3 nubbins. I think its the one that is 1500lbs.

Jeff