here is a picture of my top-bar hive from the outside. I built it from scratch!
here is a picture of the entrance holes. I will be adding one hole to each front top corner of the hive to improve ventilation.
here are the frame rests i built for the hive. these come in handy more than one would think
here is a picture with the cover off. you can now see the top bars, which are the only support point that the bees use to build their natural comb. each top-bar is 1 3/8 inches wide, except the front and back, which are 1 9/16 inches wide to accomodate a bee space against the front and back walls of the hive.
here is a picture of one of the top-bars, with the wooden spline for the bees to build from. i rubbed the bottom of the spline with beeswax to show the bees where they're supposed to build. i also melted the splines into a sawkerf in the topbars with beeswax. one fell during warm weather, hence the string tied around each top-bar to make sure this won't happen again. i would recommend a hot glue gun
Natural comb, rearmost comb removed. the bees build these combs leaving only a beespace between the comb, hive walls, and bottom board.
i hope you enjoyed my pics! let me know what you think.