Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a HP computer that is working fine, but I don't have a monitor or keyboard for it.

Will a dell monitor and keyboard work? I found one on CL but don't want to spend the money if the plug ins will not match.

She needs to do write some papers and most of her teachers want the kids to email them in to them. So I thought I could rig something up that will not cost us too much.
Thanks

T

·
0 Posts
As long as the holes that they plug into are the same shape, yes.

Your monitor will have a small blue end on the cable for VGA, or a larger white for Digial. And your keyboard will either be round and big, round and small, or USB.

Make sure the connection will fit, that the laptop has the ports you need. :)

And they will work fine. Brand shouldn't matter. (There are adapters that will work, but may have to be purchased.)

·
Dallas
13,852 Posts
Yes, monitors, keyboards, mice, etc that work with one PC will work with another. They are made that way on purpose - standardization. You can mix and match.

There are some old (pre-2000) computers that use serial ports (round) instead of USB ports for keyboards and mice but even then there are adapters.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Coco, take the computer with you to make sure the plugs are compatible. If you need adapters, at least PM me, I have a few of them around that we don't use in the 'old computer equipment drawer'.

You can figure out the names of the ports, like USB, serial, parallel with a quick internet search. It's like garanimals, the ports. Count the pins, look at the shape and you can figure it out.

On the bottom of this page, there are pictures for them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_port_(hardware)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much everyone!! and FIB thanks for the offer to help with adapters that was so kind of you.

I went to target and bought a wireless keyboard and a mouse with a gift card that I had. I called my eldest son, and he had a monitor that he brought over for her.

She is up and running and I just want to say I'm so thankful that I can come here and ask questions and get good advice and offers of help. Makes my day.

So she is up doing her paper and she is so happy to have her own equipment, as any 13 would be. Now I need advice on how to keep her safe with having her access to the internet without me looking on and seeing first hand what she is up to . :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Coco, their is software and apps available that you can set the level of what your child can access. You set according to ratings much like movie ratings and also some allow you to block certain words. Requires a password that you provide in order to look up pages that are restricted. The only problem with this type of technology...you have to have the child you are protecting help set it up. You know, like the childproof caps on medicine bottles that i can't open so I have the kids do it. haha There are some online free ones you can use. I don't have our children restricted other than, they have to be within eyesight to be online, restrict the time and length of time online and I check history occasionally. We do keep a pretty stiff finger on the social sites. They can talk to their friends when they see them, no need to send 500 texts a day. Boys probably are more likely to take a "peek" at things they should not but girls can be tempted as well. We have probably been too lax on the rules but so far they are turning out okay. Wow, something our parents didn't have to worry about. Bad enough that their are sickos here and there but also have to worry about them stalking your child via the internet.

T

·
0 Posts
The biggest tip I can tell you about OnLine is make sure they know to never give out their name, address, telephone number, name of their school, names of their siblings, names of their parents... Keep the info vague. "I live in Colorado." Or Texas. LOL!

My daughter invented a pseudonym when she was 10 that she still uses at 20. :)

Sign me,
Traci in Texas

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
glad you got it working. But man the teachers get my goat with kids needing to have computers and the internet at home to do school work. For alot of people it cost too much to get internet or both computer and internet. I really think if schools make it a must then they need to figure in the cost of the computer and printer and internet service into the cost to run a school and provide it for the children free to parents. I had this problem with 11th &12th grade with my kid and I just could not get internet, then Huges net was it out here and it cost over $100.00 a month with good credit. didnt happen. Kid had to ride the bus in and home could not drive into town each day with out gas money, the library was not open every day, and then you could only us the computers 15 minutes. It was a real problem.Big Pet Peeve for me. I finally had to have a meeting with the school and tell them she needed to be given time during the day to do the projects needing computers and internet, shoot printer ink and paper can cost money as well. Schools worry about feeding kids they also need to rethink that not everyone has the income for cell phone, home phones, computers internet. Sorry didnt mean to run on.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I so know as technology is such an important thing in our life. And I'm a worry wart when it comes to my girls.

We are in a very small school district, but they expect us all to have internet and computers available to kids , our school is very small and we get the new grads to teach and they think it's a given to have these tools in our homes. I have started a share program in my rural neighborhood , so far I have 2 other kids that will be using the pc I set up for school work only.
In this day and age we all need to work together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts