my tadpoles

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I have about 30 tadpoles in a big aqaurium that I rescued from certain death and they are just the cutest things. I can't wait to release them back out into the yard after they turn into little frogs. I couldn't rescue all the tadpoles, but I got all that I could. I'll bet hundreds (if not a thousand) died, poor things. But, at least I'll have 30 more little mosquito eating machines in the yard in a few weeks. One of them sprung a leg and still has his tail. It's the weirdest looking thing. One fully formed leg and that's it. A friend of mine said it was normal. One of them is a giant and is about twice the size of the rest of them. I call him godzilla. Anyway, I was just looking at them and wanted to share. They are just swimming around and making me smile.

2. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

Make sure they have a rock or stick to climb on when they start getting legs & switching from gills to lungs - I've rescued tadpoles myself, & when they're all getty leggy, I sink a bowl or dishpan in the garden, put in a stick to climb out on, & fill it with water & the "frogpoles". They have lots of cover when they go out on land, & will usually hang around for a while & eat nasty bugs. If they're puddle tadpoles, they're actually likely to be little toads.

3. Sparticle

Yeah I've got several rocks in their aquarium so they can crawl on top of them when they get legs. They are from puddles and will probably big big old toads.

4. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) It's good to determine the species before you let them go. The big one may be a bullfrog. These pests have been introduced to many places where they don't belong and are decimating native frog species and other uselful critters. They don't eat insects, just other insect-eating frogs, fish, salamanders etc.

They certainly ARE interesting creatures.

LQ

5. Sparticle

No, these guys aren't forgeign. They are from my yard. I would not introduce a foreign species. I had a driveway put in where there used to be a big mud puddle. And before the driveway the water was drying up too quickly and they were all going to die. But, they were pulled out of the water about 50 feet from my door.

6. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

We brought home some tadpoles from a creek when we lived in southern CA and they were fun to have around. Once they became little frogs we'd feed them freeze-dried flies (sold as reptile food) on shishkabob skewers. They looked so funny leaping up and hanging off the end of the skewer wrestling the flies off.
    Yes, we are easily entertained... :)
    Steph

7. Sparticle

That does sound entertaining, but I found frog and tadpole food at the petstore, so just using that. Plus I figure as soon as they are frogs, out they go. My 1 legged tadpole now has 2 legs, so he doesn't look so weird now.

8. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

Note that most frogs won't have properly developed lungs until right around when the tail is fully absorbed. Meaning that you don't want to drop them on the ground without water to go right into until the tail is almost completely gone. Do be sure to put a rock or a low floating platform in the tank for them to experiment with crawling onto. Especially if they might be toads.

Reptomin or something like that is fine for food.

-Jack

9. Sparticle

Thanks Jack,

I have 2 areas built up for them out of rocks, that are 9.5"x4" and a 7"x6" of surface area out of the water, a little more below the water line. It provides them a lot of little hiding places and they dart around between all the rocks. Do you think that's enough surface area above water for about 30 tadpoles?

10. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Be sure to give them little to no food once the tail begins to shrink. They will feed off that tail, and the excess food will just dirty up the tank.

I bet the huge one is a leopard frog.

11. baysidebunny

baysidebunny Well-Known Member

When I was about 13, my little brother didn't want to part with his tadpoles so my parents let him take them with us on vacation from Montana to Texas. I can't remember what he had them in but I know that when we got to Pueblo, Colorado, my dad said they have to go, because they pulled over to drop them off at a pond at the city park.

Well, turns out those tadpoles saved our life.
    By pulling over to dump them out, my dad noticed something wrong with the back wheel in our 67 rambler and found out the wheel bearing was going out. A mechanic told us to park it overnight and then replaced it the next day. He said if we would have continued on down the highway, our car would have caught fire and chances are it may have blown up.

Thank Heavens for Tadpoles.

12. terriv

terriv Well-Known Member

Recently I went to show a foreclosed house that had been empty for a long time. There was an in ground pool that was a green murky swamp. In the pool were TADPOLES.

Now I have seen tadpoles before.... but these were ENORMOUS! They were literally the size of GOLF BALLS and they had full tails and no legs.

WHAT the heck were those? There were hundreds of them, HUGE. I had never seen anything like them before.

I'm still bothered by it and it was weeks ago. Was sort of like seeing Bigfoot.

13. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

terriv,

did you sell the house???? Don't know if i'd buy a house with swamp creatures
    living in the back!

14. terriv

terriv Well-Known Member

Fortunately, no. I did write an offer on it thinking it was a terrible decision. It was a nice house, 5 bedrooms, of the $250,000 variety on 4 acres once upon a time. Apparently the people living there were so broke they were using kerosense heaters (smoked it up) instead of the central heat. Roof leaked, caved in a section of the master bedroom ceiling, etc. It has potential but being owned by a California bank ....and being that it's in Mississippi... they think it's worth a fortune and have never seen it. Dud house. Will rot.

I found that couple a nice house in the woods instead and wrote the offer last night.

15. Sparticle

What a sweet sweet story, yes thank heaven for tadpoles.

16. Sparticle

I released 5 frogs yesterday!! There's another guy that'll be going soon. He just lost his tail and I want to give him a few more days. After that there are about 25 more that are still tadpoles. Must of them have been sprouting legs and don't have their front arms yet. I replace 25% of the water every few days so that the hormones that the devolped frogs release won't affect the tadpoles that aren't frogs yet. Anyway, it was a lot of fun and hard as heck to catch those little devils to release them. But I'm so happy I didn't just let them all die.

17. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

They sound like bullfrog tadpoles. If they are not native to were you live they are a *major* pest and threat to the native frogs.

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Rana_catesbeiana.html

This look like them?

[​IMG]