My sweet babies....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Dreams30, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

[​IMG]

These are my sweet babies. Thank you Dale Anne. They seem to have attached to hubby and me, and they cry when we walk away from the pen. :(

I am hoping they will grow out of it and realize that we do always come back. A few times they have gotten out and followed us, but will go back into their pen.

We currently have field fencing with chicken wire and hardware cloth wired to it. We also have a strand of electric fencing around the bottom inside.

The electric wire seems to not bother them at all. We even took the charger off the pig pen and tried it on theirs. The tester says that it is working. They act like it it a private step to use to climb the fence. :eek:

Anyone have any experience with something like this?

2. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

The goats and sheep that we had would do the same thing. They went right through the electric fence with no thought to it at all. It is mostly used for predator determent, to keep things out, not keep goats in.

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Dreams30 they are gorgeous. Our experience with baby animals and the electric fencing is that when they are little like your goats they don't weigh very much...and so don't have a good earth...we found as the babies grow, cos it happens with our calves too, they one day get zapped and steer clear of the fence after that.
    Like kids that wear really good rubber boots..they touch the electric wire, I freak, they don't feel a thing cos their boots insulate them....or they are so oblivious to what it is they are touching that it doesnt register as pain.

4. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

You are so very welcome...I am glad they got a good home with Ya'll....my goats still to this day hollar fer us leaving or coming..and bet ya them babies start hollering about 4 pm dont they....our feeding time around here lol>>>>dale anne

5. GOATDADDY

GOATDADDY Well-Known Member

What is needed is a ground wire running parallel (sp) to the hot wire with maybe eight inches of separation. When they touch both wires, believe me they won't ignore it. I thought something was wrong with my fence charger till I inadvertantly grounded myself. I am in the process of reworking my electric fences. Cute little kids!!

6. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

LOL, what a fun blessing these babies are...

My mom is visiting from out of state. We had a nice sit down dinner...pork chops, salad, potatoes...the works...We left the front and back doors open because it was a very nice day here...(can you guys see this coming?)

I heard Jethro out in the pen crying and wondered what was going on, but couldn't really get up and run check right then...(besides they have us trained to run to the pen every two minutes and I would really like to break them of that) .....

From my chair I saw the cat come sliding, screeching through the back door and kinda mentally shrugged to myself (she's a weird cat) then I saw the dogs come running in and I wondered what was going on.....then I looked at the door again and guess who was walking into the house? Elly-mae had invited herself to dinner. :haha:

My mom took it with a sense of humor, I picked up Elly-mae and put her back in the pen, but am really hoping that we can find some way to keep these critters in the pen instead of in the house.... :haha: ;)

7. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy dreams....ya seen the fence we had to keep them in...it'ss the only way we can....the daddy ya seen can clear a 5 foot fence without blinking an eye.....good luck...Dale Anne