Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Processed foods have had the fiber removed, and so processing can make a problem CONSIDERABLY worse.

I hear you about about the carbs: many years ago my doc put me on a diet high in bowls of cereals and such, and after a year my barb intolerance turned into type 2 diabetes. Also I felt terrible. I feel MUCH better now that I restrict myself to 2-3 carb exchanges per meal!

·
Premium Member
29,043 Posts
When I was pregnant with my first child, my doctor tried to put me on a high carb/low fat diet because I gained 30 pounds. I was miserable! Hungry all the time, irritable from being hungry, sick from eating cereal which I had stopped eating years before. I went back to eating what I was craving which was mostly rotissarie chicken and colby cheese along with assorted fruits and vegetables. I ended up gaining 40 pounds but dropped 30 of it and was back in my pre-baby jeans in one month.

Over the years my diet has changed for the worse. I am trying to get back to eating more natural and less processed food. What makes it difficult is hubby is not real fond of natural foods and what he does like is not what I like.

·
Super Moderator
17,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Danaeus29, my husband also has different tastes. He loves dishes that are high in noodles and other carbs, and I do poorly on those. For a while I made meat balls to put in the spagetti so that I could make most of the meal for me high in meat, but now I just get more of the meat sauce and less of the noodles.

And, DH has learned to like meat better than he did. When we eat now he eats more of the carbs and less of the meat, and I eat more of the meat and less of the carbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On the good side, at the restaurant yesterday I had no trouble refusing dessert: I was so stuffed that I felt bloated. On the bad side, the salads looked VERY good, but I knew when I ordered that adding a salad to my fish Diavolo would be more food than my stomach could hold.

I am pleased that I got out of the restaurant feeling full after eating only 600 calories (calorie counts were on the menu), but, darned it I LIKE to eat, and some things, like salad, my diet lists as freebies as long as I keep an eye on the dressing: Italian dressings are a yes but Green Goddess dressing (etc) should be measured

I had never had Diavolo sauce before and I liked it: I looked it up and it is wine-based with chopped onion, tomatos, oregano, garlic, hot pepper flakes to taste, etc. And then it is simmered for10-odd minutes to reduce it and get rid of the alcohol. There are several recipes for "Fra Diavolo" on-line and I might try to make it some day, especially as it was great for dipping in the garlic toast tat was part of the meal. Adding new recipes is one of the nicer parts of eating at a restaurant

On the good side, I did go to a restaurant for lunch and I did not (I was not able to) over indulge.
Processed foods have had the fiber removed, and so processing can make a problem CONSIDERABLY worse.

I hear you about about the carbs: many years ago my doc put me on a diet high in bowls of cereals and such, and after a year my barb intolerance turned into type 2 diabetes. Also I felt terrible. I feel MUCH better now that I restrict myself to 2-3 carb exchanges per meal!
Workout tips at home ShrinkMe.io

21 - 27 of 27 Posts