My Son Wants A Pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by countrygirl26, Apr 29, 2004.

1. countrygirl26

countrygirl26 Active Member

WE will be moving soon and my son wants a pig as a pet. What kind of pig would be the best breed?

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Any kind of breed is a good breed especially if you are starting out and just getting one for the freezer. I recommend looking into some of the heritage breeds as well, as a novelty more than anything but if you eventually decide to breed, heritage breeds could use a boost in numbers and they are a very neat project for anyone. My personal favorite is the razorback pig because it is more manageable, my family butchers them smaller, and they are a delicacy to us, and I really like the idea of taking a pig that is considered a nuisance and providing for my extended family. Depending on how old your son is, a smaller type pig has benefits. There are many potbelly crosses out there, wild pig crosses, etc. that stay smaller and are every bit as personable as a domestic that will get too big in a few months for a younger boy. If he is thinking of 4H then I highly recommned contacting your ag extension in the area you are moving to and getting some tips on pigs from the 4H groups before buying. Best wishes with your move. I hope I helped answer some questions. We have a lot of very knowledgable members that will drop in and answer as well.

3. Potbellies are often used as pets, but to make them safe as a true pet, if indoors they really should be obtained at about a week old and hand fed, then when they are old enough, neutered, and their canine teeth are usually extracted or regularly trimmed. If outdoors you could get a breeding pair so they have a sleeping/play partner and eat the excess pigs. They work well as a fence out, free range, outdoor pet/livestock. 90% of my family's meat is free range organic potbellied pork.
    George

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Whoa! I missed that pet part entirely. I'm very sorry. George is right about the potbelly. I don't have the same experience he does but let me assure you they will still get big, even if you pay a premium price for a "teacup." And pigs need company. I don't recommend domestics for a pet for a young boy. They are boisterous and may not mean any harm but could harm your son if he is under 12 , imo. Sorry about my first post to you.

5. countrygirl26

countrygirl26 Active Member

My husband wants a breed of pig that is easy to maintian and good breeder so we can raise her and she can be my sons pet, but the piglets can be in our freezer or for sale. My son is only 4 but very bright when it comes to animals. He has been raised around all kinds of animals such as goats, chickens and rabbits At our old homestead. He always reminds me they need fed and etc. He has chores right now. He feeds and waters his pet rabbit and he feeds the 2 St. bernards we have. He is pretty responsible for 4 years old and he is big for his age. He isn't afraid of anything except maybe his grandmas rooster that loves to flog him.

6. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

kunekune (Maori pigs)

Do a google search on it, page through plus follow the links - you'll find USA breeders. Good pasture grazing pigs, which helps a lot, and not yet over-popular, which means you'll be on the right end of a price boom.

7. I've bred my potbellies back to the real potbelly size, the largest we've had in the last 4 years was about 125 pounds, but even that small size (for a pig) could be dangerous for a 4 year old.

8. IF St Bernards have a temperment similar to Pyranees, they should be able to get along with the potbellies, and would likely protect you and your son in the unlikely event that you had a small rogue pig, but a rogue boar at even 60 pounds is going to be stronger than a little boy. If it's fenced into a pasture so that you and the dogs are with him when he wants to pet the pig, it would likely be a reasonable prospect. But even going to the grocery store has its risks.
    George