Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16y.o. sheep.

When I got home last night she was quite bloted on the LH side. It is soft and feels full of air. Almost like if I stuck a pin in her all this air would come out like from a tyre puncture.

I have given her oil and baking soda but although that seemed to help a little she is still bloated. She is not eating and has not seemed to poop. She has wee'd.

She is not lying down at all and just walks around. She seems to be breathing ok but is obviously uncomfortable.

What else can I do for her. It has been about 10 hours.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,946 Posts
Continue giving her more oil until you see results.
Baking Soda is for Acidosis or Bloat prevention, but does little to cure the condition.
The fact that she's up and walking shows it's not too serious right now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Continue giving her more oil until you see results.
Baking Soda is for Acidosis or Bloat prevention, but does little to cure the condition.
The fact that she's up and walking shows it's not too serious right now.
Thank you so much.

I am trying to get a vet to her now that it is morning over here. He has not answered the phone yet. It is a bit early.

She has not lay down at all, poor thing has been on her feet all night. I have been giving her 30 mls of Hydrolyte every hour but I will now give her more oil. How much should I give her at a time?

Thank you again.

Regards
Kelly
Western Australia

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I lost two alpacas to bloating from consuming beetles (of a type that cause enough bloating to kill an alpaca) which managed to get into their feed and nearly lost a third one which I managed to save finding him in a timely fashion by crushing two 1000mg Gas-X chewables, placing the powder in one of the syringes you use to force-feed liquid medications, then after reinstalling the plunger and compressing the powder SLOWLY such as not to blow it out, then sucked it full of water, shook vigorously with a fingertip over the end, and then administered it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I lost two alpacas to bloating from consuming beetles (of a type that cause enough bloating to kill an alpaca) which managed to get into their feed and nearly lost a third one which I managed to save finding him in a timely fashion by crushing two 1000mg Gas-X chewables, placing the powder in one of the syringes you use to force-feed liquid medications, then after reinstalling the plunger and compressing the powder SLOWLY such as not to blow it out, then sucked it full of water, shook vigorously with a fingertip over the end, and then administered it.
Thank you for this. I will have to ask the chemist for a similar product as I do not think we have Gas-X Chewables in Australia (we are a little behind the times).

She seems to be a little stronger and her RH side has gone down almost completely. She is still walking around. I am still giving her oil and Hydrolites. I think her legs are getting tired though.

Have a nice weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts