Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
15,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sammie was attacked tonight by another female dog.. As we were taking her to the car at my sons house she was on a leash but a dog off leash came charging at her, Sammie twisted around and her collar came off. They started fighting and the other larger dog penned her on the ground. Her chest was ripped open and she has two bites on her right front leg. She is at the Emergency Vet. She is stabilized and they told us that there are 2 more dogs who are more critical than she is and she will have surgery at about 3am. We will go get her in the morning. They promised us that they will call if anything changes or does not go as expected. My whole family is so upset. This same dog jumped on Sammie about two months ago and bit her close to her eye and ripped a place on her mouth. Again she was off leash and in my sons yard. The pit bull likes people but does not like other dogs. She has jumped on other dogs before. My son and dil are furious. These people who own the dog live across the street from them. They have told their neighbors that they must leash their dog when she is outside in the front. We do have a leash law. I hope they don't run into trouble with their neighbors but I am heartsick about leaving Sammie tonight.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
These people need to be presented with the vet bills. Their homeowners insurance will likely not like the idea that they have a vicious dog living in the household, especially one that's caused incidences before.

The local authorities also need to be called in. If the dog is aggressive with other dogs, who's to say it wouldn't eventually find a kid that got the same reaction as another dog?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Make the call to animal control and file a report, and file a report with the sheriffs office as well. Today! We had this happen here in morgan county wv, it stated with a dog on dog attack, then the dog killed a donkey, then 2 horses. over a month and a half.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Peach, I'm so very sorry for you and your pup. I know how much it would hurt to see something like that happen to our pup.

As an aside, that's another reason for carrying at all times. The only time I've come close to firing my pistol for self protection was when I was sitting on my outdoor throne on the farm. Having your pants around your ankles makes maneuvering problematic, so when 2 feral dogs came up behind me, I drew the gun immediately. Fortunately, yelling at them made them slink off.

If a neighbor's dog came off their property and attacked my pup, their dog would probably be dead. I know there are many fine pit bull pets out there so I don't assume they are all bad, but once one of them go on the attack, it's time for a gun. I have jumped in and separated fighting dogs on a few occasions, but I would not do so with a strange pit bull in the mix. Too much opportunity for me to get seriously hurt.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Please report it.

We had a nasty dog here who kept getting out of his fence. It recently culminated in said dog attacking a smaller, milder mannered dog that couldn't even begin to protect itself. His owner stepped in, and got torn up for his trouble.

Dogs like that have no business living near others. It was a matter of time with this one, and I'm just glad the other dog lived and it was a grown man who tried to save his dog, not one of the kids who walks their dog around here.

I hope Sammie has no long lasting effects. I'd probably call up a trainer or three and see about socializing her like mad after this, because sometimes a fight like that makes a dog nervous or aggressive. If you can strike while the iron is hot, as it were, you may not have problems. :( OTOH she may be just fine, but you never know.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Report the dog before it kills another dog. It's not going to stop this behavior and the owners obviously do not care enough to restrain it. I also agree make them pay the vet bill. I am guessing your going to be looking at $500 or more. Hope Sammy doesn't have any long term affects, my lab was attacked like this and still doesn't trust other dogs to this day.

·
Registered
15,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not well. She has a big cone on and is very traumatized. I cannot get her to eat or drink even bits of meat or cheese. I wrapped her meds , Rimadyl and Ampicillin in cheese and forced her to swallow them. They are supposed to be taken with food so I am worried about that. They sent 2 stacks of gause pads soaked with Cephahexlon for me wipe incision and puncture wounds with every 6 hours. All of this for 14 days. I have been able to get her to eat a few pieces of chopped ice and that is all. She cries and whines a lot so I know she is in pain. I expect tonight to be hard. She has finally gone to sleep right now.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Not wanting to eat is normal. You might try meat broth, just cook some bones down to soup. This will give her chondroitin, etc., what she needs to start recuperating. I would also get some buffered Vitamin C (in crystal form) for her to help cellular growth and reduce inflammation.

·
Administrator
19,426 Posts
I'm very sorry your dog was attacked. You mention the situation has been resolved and I hope that means the owners or law enforcement is going to ensure the dog is out down before it kills a child.

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
Not well. She has a big cone on and is very traumatized. I cannot get her to eat or drink even bits of meat or cheese. I wrapped her meds , Rimadyl and Ampicillin in cheese and forced her to swallow them. They are supposed to be taken with food so I am worried about that. They sent 2 stacks of gause pads soaked with Cephahexlon for me wipe incision and puncture wounds with every 6 hours. All of this for 14 days. I have been able to get her to eat a few pieces of chopped ice and that is all. She cries and whines a lot so I know she is in pain. I expect tonight to be hard. She has finally gone to sleep right now.
Peach, I am glad she is asleep. Sleep next to her. She needs you to know that someone she trusts and relys on is there. I did this this with my Sash. The most important thing is that they feel your feelings,that is where they feel saftey, they gain knowlage from the people they understand and so will you. If the Dr. said all is good, stay with Sammie so if that anything changes, you will notice. There is nothing more important in this world,than You and She being able to commnicate with your heart,your sense of what really mattrers. Just be there, she will know and you will need this for the rest of your life, no matter what come up.We all know, they know, I truley belive dogs are earth Angels.

·
Registered
15,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I cannot do anything with her. She has drank water once today. It is hard to pry her mouth open now for ice chips. She will not eat anything. I tried to tempt her with vanilla ice cream but she is not interested. Sammie is a very anxious dog anyway. We have come a long way with her in three years but will always have anxiety issues. The E collar is terrifying her. Se has only slept for a few minutes a few times today. She refuses beef broth and even bits of cooked chicken. I willbebeside her all night. Shetakes meds again at 12 midnight. Thank yousomuch forall of your suggestions . I appreciate all of them. This is really hard for me and my husband.
Sammie is the dog on the left of my avatar. The other one is our gran dog, Pluto. He spends every day with us and lots of nights too.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts