My recent money revelation...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by tinetine'sgoat, Dec 6, 2006.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

Ok, I have always prided myself on making a dollar stretch, growing our food, etc... Well it was a matter of pride until the last few months. We lost 500 a month in income, and nearly every thing that could go wrong with a vehicle has went wrong. The kids have been back and forth to the doctor more in the last 2 weeks than they have in a year and the cost of groceries and feed are steadily climbing. Now the thriftyness that was kinda a fun thing before is no longer as much fun. It takes a whole different tune when it is a neccessity and no longer a novelty. It's not as much fun to go look in the cabinets and see what we have and try and figure out the most meals on the least amount of money and know that it is something that HAS to be done. It is hard knowing that there are taxes due and propane needed and that we will again skimp and save ourselves into an oblivion where you feel like you are working to exist and existing to work. Do not get me wrong I am not ungrateful, we have worked hard for all the meat that is in the freezer (home raised, or deer) and the veggies that are in the cabinets. This is just my way of releasing some of the stress that I am begining to feel from the constant money reminders. I am reminded of it every time I open the cabinets, everytime we turn on a light, run a load of laundry etc. Things will get better, I do not doubt my Lord, big possibility that He is teaching me a valuable lesson through all of this. I am thankful to Him that He gave me the foresight this summer, when we had extra income, to buy winter meds (children's tylenol, ibu, bandaids,etc..) put alot of chickens and veggies up and buy a new very efficient furnace when our other one died last spring. Thank you all for the little tips you guys post from day to day, they really do come in handy when you are in a tight spot. Oh, and thanks for letting me ramble a bit too.

2. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry to add politics to the mix but is your situ one that higher minimum wage or mandatory paid sick/family leave would have helped? If so are you in favor of such government intervention? It does sound like "free" health care (though the increase in taxes to cover it might do you in) would have helped with the kids' illnesses- do you have health coverage? How much does it cost you and how much are you left paying after it?

3. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

Ramble away, we all need to release our frustrations. Prayers that things will get easier for you as the month passes and for your kiddos to stay well! Pinching pennies is best to do in fatter times to get a taste for it so you will know how to do it in the lean times. You were well prepared :)

4. cider

cider Well-Known Member Supporter

Awwww tinetine. Hugs to you.
    Think of all the valuable skills you have taught yourself when you didn't need to pinch your pennies so hard. You'll be ok and you're ahead of the game since you know what to do.
    (((((tinetine))))))

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

When I get bummed out about finances, I make sweet rolls.

Roll out white bread dough (3 cups flour, 1 heaping teaspoon yeast, 1 rounded teaspoon salt, dash of oil, 1 cup of water).

I then dribble butter (OR margerine OR oil) on it. Sprinkle heavily with sugar (brown sugar or white sugar), and dust WELL with cinnamon.

Roll it up, slice it, raise it, and bake it.

Turn it out still hot, or the oozing good stuff will stick to the pan!

YUM!!!!

6. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been going through pretty much the same thing for the past year and a half due to a double mortgage. It's not fun. I do, however, remind myself that I have food in my belly, clothes on my back and a roof over my head and am better off than 3/4 of the people in the world...helps me to keep it all in perspective.

And like Terri, I give myself small treats - books and videos from the library, the ocassional treat, etc.

But yeah...it does get old after awhile.

7. tinetine'sgoat

We have health coverage, thank goodness. It still cost's us a 20.00 co-pay per visit and whatever insurance won't cover. Then whatever the med's cost that insurance doesn't cover. In the last 2 weeks it has amounted to nearly 150.00 between meds and co-pay's and we haven't seen the bills yet. DD had to get chest x-rays today so I hope that doesn't add up to a huge amount. It just all adds up. We just gotta hang on for a few more months til income tax return and then we will have some more breathing room. :hobbyhors

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Hope things get better real soon.

BooBoo

9. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are getting a good sized tax refund, try to put at least half into an emergency fund. So many people count on tax refunds to help them catch up or bail them out so its actually gone before it arrives. If at all possible put the $'s into an emergency fund to make life easier when a real emergency arises. And just knowing you have $'s available makes coping easier somehow even when you don't use them. Its an emotional safety valve.

10. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

You sound very sensible tinetine'sgoat

I know just how you feel. Hang in there, it does get better. And this is the perfect place to let it out. We're all behind you.

:)

11. tinetine'sgoat

Very good advice, and quite honestly not something that I had really thought of. We were gonna use all of it to pay off pidly bills and put the rest on the house, but maybe instead the rest will go in savings. Thank you all for being supportive too by the way. It has helped!!

12. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

God bless ya ((((Tine Tine'sGoat)))).

13. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Hang in there!
    It rains money problems here too on occasion.
    I second the idea of an emergency fund...it helps tremendously when the wolves are at the door.
    clove

14. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

My goodness, we don't have any health coverage at all.

I would feel extremely blessed to have that.

We don't go to the doctor unless it's an emergency because we have to pay for EVERYTHING.

15. farmhome5

farmhome5 Well-Known Member

You are doing a great job! This to will pass. When I feel this way I watch the Sarah McLachlan Sets the 'World on Fire'- AOL music. It works everytime. The amazing thing is since watching this video we give more even though we have less. Hugs!

16. Melissa

Melissa member

Being frugal all the time can be tedious. There are times that I think it is just too hard, but not having many alternatives I just keep doing what I do!

Around here it has been much the same, Cale is working decently, but we have had doctor bills-no insurance, and way too many car breakdowns. Seems like every week something needs fixed.

Oh well, we never go hungry and we have luxuries that people around the world have never dreamed of having, so we stay content!

Hang in there and look on the bright side.

17. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

My DH always says I look for the pony in the pile of manure...just naturally optimistic. Alot of good advice here but the best is saving a good share of your tax refund. Most people I know already have a big shopping list but we stash it...last year helped pay for all new sewer lines(emergency),three deductibles for car wrecks...not the best of years. The best part is that it gives you "attitude"....you can think,well, I could pay that bill right now if I wanted to. It gives you choices. I hope your financial outlook is brighter in '07. It gets so old to have to constantly pinch pennies...willingly or by choice. But then I think how many people would give the world to live in the country...or have their health back....or a decent paying job and I have all this. My life is rich and I know yours is,too...and you probably wouldn't change it even know with the problems you are having. Our prayers are with you and all who are struggling. Bless you and your family. DEE

18. Mama McJack

Mama McJack happy homekeeper

I'm sure this advice has been given before, but let me share a little thing that helps us. We save all change in a jar, and if I write a check, I always round up the amount to the next dollar and get the change back. I usually manage to put away about $5 a month in change (I don't shop often). If we can go a couple of months without needing it, it can add up to enough for a few essentials at the grocery store, or a small unexpected expense. One thing about living on a bare-bones budget is that every little bit helps!
    Mama McJack

19. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hate when I get the defeated feeling. It is a nice challenge to be frugal but when you've not seen money for 3 weeks and you're running out food, it can feel terrible.

Even through it all I think of The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I read that book when we're in hard financial times and I realize nowadays we have it about 10000x easier than the richest person back then.

Kat

20. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Everytime that minimum wage goes up or more mandatory paid sick/faimily leave are added to the expenses of running a business, the business will increase the price of goods and services they offer. And there is no such thing as free health care. Now if you wish to produce more for your company and they reward you with a pay increase for your help - great news for both sides of the story.

Hugs
    Marlene