My REALITY CHECK homestead!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ellebeaux, Jun 9, 2005.

1. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I got a sweet note from another member asking what I decided to do so I'll share it with you all.

I bought the little 0.25 acre 750 sq ft. 2BR 1BA house near the softball fields. $131K. It just seems like such a sweet comforting cozy little place. If everything goes well, I'll close the latter part of July. Last night I met up with the home inspector and we went through the house. I couldn't help it, I walked through the yard and the house thinking 'MY grass, MY tree, MY funny little cupboard to put pans in'. I can't believe how coveting and greedy I felt! I wanted to hug the walls. I've already started making maps of where the pond and the animals and the plants will go.

So maybe it's not some other member's definition of a homestead. I have to admit, I've been losing my Buddha nature daily after reading some of the postings on this site this week. (but I still read them)

This house fits my definition of a homestead and I hope it's a happy wonderful place for everyone who stops by.

Beaux

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

congrats. to you and i am shure you will make everyone feel welcome

jim

3. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I think a homestead is what you make of it...and that sounds perfect!!! Send pics. You have fun at your homestead. Hopefully you will have time to get some chickens!!! LOL

4. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Congratulations and I hope you have many happy moments as you walk among your gardens and tend to your animals. :)

Post some pics when you get a chance!!

5. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

And that is all that really matters. Congratulations!

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

Just be sure you go out and pound a stake in the ground so you can pass muster with the only homesteader on board.

Congrats, I can relate with "mine, master of all I see".

7. cookiecache

cookiecache Well-Known Member

Ah, The feeling of your own place. Sounds nice too.

Yeah, go pound stakes in the ground for me. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Bet you have better things to do than that!

8. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

131K for 750 sq foot house on 1/4 acre? Wow, the cost of living in Virginia must be a lot higher than Kentucky. Here that much money would typically get you a suburb house of 2000-2500 sq feet on 1/2- 3/4 acre

9. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Congrats on the house! It sounds really neat! In fact, the house sounds almost exactly like Hollyhock Cottage where I live, only the lot she sits on is quite a bit smaller! And yours is way, way, way more expensive than Hollyhock Cottage was! I got a really good deal and am very grateful to have found this place. I paid half the going price of houses in the area at the time, or about the same as for a small SUV. It sounds like your place is just right!! To be on the safe side though, have you checked the local "codes" to be sure that you are allowed to have farm animals? I am just inside a village so farm animals are pretty much prohibited. The Code Enforement Officer and I are going to have a chat some one of these days . . . there is such a thing as a "variance", but sometimes it's a hassle to get one.

Oh, and it is possible to hug the walls! I do it all the time!! LOL

MaryNY

10. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Congratulations. I'm experiencing something similar in a state west of you. My thoughts upon entering my property for the first time were "Wow, I can't believe this beautiful place is actually MINE!" :) I got perspective immeidately though. It really belongs to the ticks (but not for much longer).

11. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I'd like to add a comment on "micro homesteading" as "real homesteading." It is astonishing what people in other countries can produce on tiny plots of land... super efficient gardens, little pigeries, little rabbitries, little hen houses... a couple of sheep over in a tiny pasture...

I look at my place and I see waste, lots and lots of waste. I can't possibly use all this property efficiently, and I have only 5 open acres! I've often wished I had a small place I could use every corner of, than a big space that requires heavy equipment to manage. Especially when there is only two of us.

In my next life, I want a house like yours!

12. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I know what you mean about waste...I sometimes feel that way, but then i realize that my place is also home to some moose, a few elk some dear and a mountain lion and i dont want those neighbors walking through my garden!

13. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I know what you mean about waste...I sometimes feel that way, but then i realize that my place is also home to some moose, a few elk some dear and a mountain lion and i dont want those neighbors walking through my garden! We are hunting for an honest small time logger to remove some of our larger pines prior to the beetles killing them and turning them into fire starters. It has been difficult locating one...now we are waiting two weeks to see if we can be fit into a tight schedule. I hope you love every minute in your new house , even the dirty minutes LOL CONTRATULATIONS!!!!!

14. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Congartulations! I also homestead within city limits. We can't keep any animals not defined as pets by the city codes, which defines psittacorine birds, (parrots and budgies) dogs, cats, rabbits and snakes only. So eventually I'll have a rabbit does or two for fryers. Amazing how productive a garden on a city lot can be! I used to live in Northern Virginia and am aware of Virginia land prices. I think you got a fantastic financial deal and am happy your place feels like home already! :) :) Post pix when you're able!

15. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Congratulations ellebeaux! I think you'll be extremely happy with your new home. My dearest friend just bought her first place, and I questioned her decision because of the location and size of the lot, but she has never been happier. So good for you!

16. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new home. It sounds very nice.

In my area you might get a condo or attached townhouse with a square of grass for that price so to me you did very well.

17. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

Congrats!!

I'm doing my thing on 1/3 of an acre with woods behind it, on a dead end street. Small town living has advantages too. And like MaryNY said you can apply for variances for animals and such. In my case I've gotten lucky and all my immediate nieghbors are willing to sign off on a small chicken flock. So this falls construction project will be a small coop.

You can do quite a bit in a small space. I have two apple trees, I just transplanted two walnut trees I aquired with the help of the nieghborhood squirrel. And I plant a 25'x35' vegetable garden. I managed to put up 30 quarts of spagetti sauce last year. I'm not even approaching total self sufficency, but, I ate something home grown at least once a week for the past year. And in season I manage a meal a day provided by my own hands.

I have no intention of staying here forever, but, I'm building equity towards my next place. BTW, my place set me back $62k

18. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

You will be amazed at what you can do. We lived in town before we moved here and in our back yard which was three hundred square feet I had four raised beds, five foot by eight foot each, eight dwarf fruit trees and one full sized orange tree, four rabbits three chickens and two dwarf goats[ neighbor were cool].

19. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

Uh, I called the county guy and he said that you have to have 5 acres or you can't have chickens. I'm really regretting making that phone call now! I hate doing anything illegal AND I really want chickens. So I'm thinking of getting rabbits to raise just a couple for meat. But when I told my Mom she almost fell over laughing because she knows I'll never be able to kill little fuzzy bunnies after I've raised them.

Beaux

20. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I am always seeing chickens in the back yards here- the trick is to not to get caught!
    Would 2-3 be that hard to hide?Roosters crow, but chix are qiuter.