Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Go down to your local junk yard and get seat belts. They should be cheap or free. You only need 4 to 6 inches of the belt itself. Using a heated nail, put a pair of holes in each belt and attach them with washers and screws.

Now you have dog proof latches for every gate and door. You may want to make up some vinyl tubes to slip over the buckles to keep rain from seeping in and freezing. If your dog can undo a seatbelt, sell her to Hollywood, quick. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Lawbag, I don't have a picture right now of one set up. I've used them where there are horse and goat escape artists with great success. She could chew through the nylon strap, but the way I use it is just enough strap to attach it to whatever. So one strap is firmly bolted to the gate post and the other strap is firmly bolted to the gate so when you shut the gate you can just buckle the seatbelt for an escape proof latch. There really shouldn't be enough slack for the buckles to hang loose, so really barely anything for her to grab with her teeth, except the metal of the buckle.
Umm, kind of l-l[]l-l with l l post, - strap and [] buckle (if that makes any sense at all)

When I've done that to keep other livestock in, I've seen it does a really good job with dogs as well. A smart dog will paw at it, whine, try to bite it, figure out metal on the teeth is a bad sensation, paw at it a little more and then either give up or dig at the bottom of the gate in frustration a little.

If you get some heavy gauge woven wire fence and lay it flat on the ground and stake it down very well, about every foot, top and bottom, that should keep her from digging out and the grass will grow through. It looks much nicer then concrete.

How old is she and how long have you had her?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts