Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She opened not one, but two gates, to get at the chickens. She led 3 of the other dogs on a rampage. :( Two dead chickens, feathers all over.

She can open the metal baby gate between the laundry room and kitchen. It has a squeeze type handle. She opens it just to show us she can, but doesn't come into the kitchen because that is a no-no.

She can open the back door, unless it is deadbolted. It has a typical round handle.

Now the gates. :eek: I told everyone not to let her watch us too closely!

How are we to keep ahead of her?

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I have escape artists too- they can be very persistent. If they are chain link gates, there is a hole in the latch that you can put a bolt snap into- that will keep the latch from raising. Now, I did that with my escape artists and then I had a few figure out how to get the ties off the gates that hold on the chain link. I know which ones they are because they are missing front teeth :) So think ahead of them and get some heavy duty wire ties and put those on EVERY diamond. Then check them daily as they will take longer to get off enough of them that they can fit through. You will also want to make sure the latches are tight and the hinges are on so the top one points down and the bottom one points up. I have had dogs that would lift the gates off the hinges. Tighten all your bolts on your gate area. Make sure they cannot move the hinges or latch- or they will. If you have wodden gates- you can get the gate latches that are made for privacy fence- they also have a hole in them to put a bolt snap or mountain climbing clip. I prefer the mountain climbing clips in winter as bolt snaps will freeze closed if they get freezing rain on them. Another thing you can use is heavy duty hasps. Once again, they have a hole in them for a snap or clip. I have all these in use at my place in various situations.
For your back door, you have 2 options. You can buy child safety door knob covers (they are larger than the door knob and have to be squeezed tight to grasp the door knob)- other wise they spin. I used these once and had a dog chew it off and open the door. So went to plan B- chain latch up high enough the dog cannot reach and short enough that once it is open, he cannot get his nose through- or he will break the chain. One thing I learned that if they can get thier muzzle through- they will manage to get thier whole body out. You can also get hotel type latches. You know the kind...when you open the door they catch and the door will not open until you pull it back. If you don't think you need anything that heavy duty, they also have hook and eyes with a hook that locks. It has a spring and a piece of metal on the hook- you have to slide back the metal to release the hook from the eye. These are great for screen doors (which you will want to cover with heavy duty wire- not screen).
If the dog goes to digging or bending up the fencing to get out- you have a couple of options. You can line the fence with railroad ties- I am talking real ones. You can line the fence with landscape timbers and use fence staples to secure the fence to the ties. Or you can use a strand of electric wire run along the bottom of the fence- a few inches from the ground and a couple inches out from the fence.
If the dog has acess to a building or house with windows- make sure they have locks on them and remain locked. If they don't- either buy locks or put a nail in the frame so they only open far enough to let air in. I lost one dog that learned to open windows...her first time was unfortunately her last.
Let me know if you come across any new escapes that these will not deal with.

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Go down to your local junk yard and get seat belts. They should be cheap or free. You only need 4 to 6 inches of the belt itself. Using a heated nail, put a pair of holes in each belt and attach them with washers and screws.

Now you have dog proof latches for every gate and door. You may want to make up some vinyl tubes to slip over the buckles to keep rain from seeping in and freezing. If your dog can undo a seatbelt, sell her to Hollywood, quick. ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Electric fence worked great this year to keep the dog out of the flower beds. After she got saped all I had to do was string a piece of wire around something and she stayed clear. Worked for the goat to.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas. The gates we use around the house are chain link so we'll try the bolt snaps first. She already dug out several times, so we've concreted in the areas next to the fence where she's gotten out so she can't dig back out again. Pretty soon, the entire back yard fence line will have concrete.

Otter, couldn't she chew through the seat belt with enough effort? She has chewed up Kongs before.

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Lawbag, I don't have a picture right now of one set up. I've used them where there are horse and goat escape artists with great success. She could chew through the nylon strap, but the way I use it is just enough strap to attach it to whatever. So one strap is firmly bolted to the gate post and the other strap is firmly bolted to the gate so when you shut the gate you can just buckle the seatbelt for an escape proof latch. There really shouldn't be enough slack for the buckles to hang loose, so really barely anything for her to grab with her teeth, except the metal of the buckle.
Umm, kind of l-l[]l-l with l l post, - strap and [] buckle (if that makes any sense at all)

When I've done that to keep other livestock in, I've seen it does a really good job with dogs as well. A smart dog will paw at it, whine, try to bite it, figure out metal on the teeth is a bad sensation, paw at it a little more and then either give up or dig at the bottom of the gate in frustration a little.

If you get some heavy gauge woven wire fence and lay it flat on the ground and stake it down very well, about every foot, top and bottom, that should keep her from digging out and the grass will grow through. It looks much nicer then concrete.

How old is she and how long have you had her?

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Railroad ties are usually free, look nicer than concrete and dog cannot dig out under them. I line my fence line with them. The only place I have concrete is under all my gates. I use patio blocks and place them under the gate- nuch easier than mixing concrete. You can get nice wide ones that will fit well for that width.

Thanks for the ideas. The gates we use around the house are chain link so we'll try the bolt snaps first. She already dug out several times, so we've concreted in the areas next to the fence where she's gotten out so she can't dig back out again. Pretty soon, the entire back yard fence line will have concrete.

Otter, couldn't she chew through the seat belt with enough effort? She has chewed up Kongs before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts