my pygmy is in labor ..question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by outdoorgirl, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. outdoorgirl

    outdoorgirl New Member

    Apr 5, 2005
    ok....this morning around 9am i seen that my pregant pygmy goat just gave birth to a baby....but she still looks like she could be having another one's been 6 hours since she had her first you think something might be wrong ? she still looks big ....she is laying down......last time she had 2 babies...i don't know what to do...should i wait and see if she has another one or do you think she could be only having one this time.....i'm not a goat expert just have them for pets.
  2. trixiwick

    trixiwick bunny slave

    Jun 9, 2004
    Southeastern PA
    Maybe I am biased because this JUST happened to me, but I would call the vet ASAP! If she's still lying down, it's probably because she's trying to deliver another kid. Labor usually goes very quickly, and should be well over by now. Pygmy goats often have trouble delivering because they're just too small. Worse, if she's lying down, the kid she already had isn't going to be able to nurse properly, and then you have more problems!

    Our pygmy doe just delivered two kids and then had to have a Caesarian to deliver the third. Alas, the third kid didn't make it, and one of the first two kids struggled for awhile because of the milk thing I mentioned above.

    Good luck, and please let us know what happens!

  3. rhjacobi

    rhjacobi Well-Known Member

    Feb 20, 2005
    Hi outdoorgirl,

    We raise Boers, so I'm not familiar with pygmies specifically. However, if there are more kids in there, it does normally only take a few minutes, but I have had them go longer.

    Has she expelled the after birth yet? If she was alone long enough, it is possible that she ate the after birth also. Again, I have had goats take longer than normal, but if she hasn't expelled the after birth by now, you probably have a problem. My first GUESS is that there is another kid.

    An internal exam probably needs to be done to determine what is going on. If this is getting into an unfamiliar area for you, I would consult with your vet. To be on the safe side, I don't think that I would delay.

    Lynchburg, TN.