My purse was stolen

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by sancraft, Jan 2, 2007.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

My purse was stolen today.

I had no cash in my wallet, but I had my paycheck and amoney order in there. I didn't even have my check book or credit cards in there because the girls gave me a new purse and wallet for Christmas and I was in the process of transferring everything into that purse. I only had 1 hour before I had to sign back on to work, so I grabbed my old purse, threw in my drivers license, my paycheck, the money order and my debit card. I was going to get gas in the truck and swing by the bank to deposit the check and money order and get back home before I had to start work again. I was pumping gas and a bum was begging for money. I told him I didn't have any cash. He went to the opposite side of the truck, opened the door and snatched my purse off the front seat and ran. I had my debit card in my pocket because I was standing outside the truck still pumping gas.

I'm thankful that it wasn't any worse. I'll have to go get another driver's license. The police gave me a paper I can drive on for 7 days. But at least I don't have to go through the trouble of cancelling anything. My license didn't even have my current address. I've been intending to go get one with address up here, but never got around to it. The guy is on the sercurity camera and the gas station owner says he's always running him off. They are confident that they will find him.

So when you get out to pump gas, always lock your doors, even if you're standing right there.

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

UGH!

time to take up throwing knives?

3. Lairvine

Lairvine Pure-T-Mommicked, son!!!

I am very sorry that happened to you. I am glad you didn't have too much stuff in there. It could aways have been worse.

4. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

What a pain in the tuccus.

If you slowly "track him" you may find the spot he dumped all the useless to him things.

5. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Glad you he didn't punch you in the face then go for the purse. I've had a freind that had that happen to. Sorry for the loss of your stuff and the big hassle though. You didn't have a s.s.n. card in there did ya? I'm thinking i.d. theft is something to worry about, if it was.

6. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Sandra - OH MY! but sure glad you had the debit card in your pocket.
    What about the check and mo.?

2007 is not suppose to be starting like this... Glad that the gas station recognizes him and can help the cops get him...

Mercy me.

Angie

7. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

I'm often told I'm paranoid. I prefer to think of it as being very alert to my surroundings, which came from living in S Fla for 16 yrs.
    I always lock all my doors when pumping gas. Even the drivers door, but leaving it open for a fast getaway if a wierdo approaches. Keys in my pocket, not the car.
    There's a gas station I use in Nashville once in awhile on my way home from work. I've been hit up by many bums at that place. Now if I even see one walking towards me I hold my hand out and say sternly "Do NOT come over here! I can't believe the nerve of some people. Had about a 20 yr-old black guy approach me once as I was coming out of the store. Begging for money to "get something to eat" - this gentleman was obviously not starving to death, he looked in fine health. I finally got mad. I turned around to him and said "I have a job, why don't you get one? Then you could have some pride in yourself and not feel like you have to stand out here begging." Immediately he said "Well, you had more priviledges than me and an easy life" That REALLY burned my butt - especially since we were so poor when I went to nursing school that my entire schooling was paid for with financial aid and grants. And I don't recall begging on the corner even one time - imagine that!

8. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Sandra,

You just can't catch a break. I'm sorry to hear about this. Wiill your employer replace your paycheck?

Nikki

9. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Be sure to ask your employer to stop payment on the old check and issue a new one. Most times, they will do that without a problem. This, however, is why my mom has hers direct deposited into her checking account. Was the money order blank or made out to be mailed? If it was blank, he will cash it. If it was made out, it will probably turn up on the street somewhere near where he grabbed your purse, as it is worthless to him. I always make mine out right where I bought them, and then remove the receipts and put them in my pocket. This way, if something happens, I have the numbers and can immediately stop payment on it before someone else gets ahold of my cash.

10. Rose N'Gideon

Rose N'Gideon Well-Known Member

My purse was stolen about 3 years ago..thank God it only had about $30 in it! dum me..I had given it to my baby sistor in walmart...all I can gess is that she droped it on the ground when she was in the shoping cart

11. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Sandra..that is AWFUL! The nerve of some people! I hope that they get your things back! I am glad that there wasn't much in it! That is a blessing! I would also check around the store...sometimes people will take what they want and dump the rest in the nearest trash can! That happened to me in highschool! I at least got my pictures and my empty purse back!

12. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Wow brave idiot! I am glad you are o.k.. I would have never have thought of one of them doing that. I will be careful in the future.
    Hope you are able to get replaceements soon and easily. Look at the bright side if you didnt like your drivers license picture you have an oppurtunity to have a nice one...lol. Just dont think about the incodent when getting your picture or you might look like a mug shot..lol

13. fantasymaker

anyone else see the Irony in this??? :shrug:

14. fantasymaker

So what makes you think it was stolen? wouldnt lost be more accurate?

15. tink67

tink67 a wannabe with a plan...

Wow, you know, when I pump gas my 2 kids are in the backseat, buckled into their carseats. I always pay at the pump so I don't go into the store.
    I never lock my doors because I'm "right there". Thank you for the eye opener.

16. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

A good short video to watch, deals with gas station robberies and just how fast they can happen, sure was an eye opener for me!

http://www.sheriff.org/videos/psa_cartheft.html

Sandra, sorry to hear about your purse.. but glad it didn't contain all the contents you usually carry with you!

17. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

If there are any dumpsters or trash cans near the scene you might want to look in them for your purse. When my daughter had her purse stolen it was found in a nearby dumpster with only the cash taken. Rita

18. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I had to get back home to sign back on for work. I'll get off at 4:30PM for good today and I'll go check dumpsters. The money order was sent to me. It was made out, so it's not good to him. The only thing that was in there of any value was my driver's license, thank goodness. I don't even want the purse. I was more surprised by what happened and kind of tickled because he didn't get a single thing. Now he's going to jail and he wasn't even able to get his next drug buy or alcohol off of me for his trouble. I yelled at him when he ran off that there was nothing in my purse and I laughed out loud at him. I hate when people beg me for money. If you have the energy to stand outside in the elements every day to beg, you could be working. I've been told before that I was lucky or priviledged by some deadbeat. I respond, yeah lucky enough to have had parents that taught me the value of working and lucky enough to have 3 jobs that don't quite ends meet and lucky enough to have the tenancity to get up every morning and make the day the best one possible.

19. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

Sandra, I know you don't know me, but I'm definitely redoubling my prayers for you! God bless your heart.

Serves the guy right to steal something that will turn out to be of no value to him and he gets arrested to boot. I suppose about all one can hope is that he learns something from the lesson, but probably won't. If nothing else, he'll be off the streets for a while, maybe, and won't do this to someone else!

What Paula said, above... if some stranger approaches me I loudly say 'GET AWAY FROM ME'. One can't be too careful these days. God bless you again, and keep your chin up.

You're WAY tougher than that bum. :angel:

20. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

No.

My nursing school is being paid for by financial aid (LOANS that must be repaid), grants and scholarships. I dont consider it BEGGING since its available to everyone, and you have to have the grades to get/keep it, its not a free ride if you think it is. Loans must be repaid, scholarships are EARNED.

Would you prefer she not have gone, so she could be collecting a welfare check instead?
    Yeesh.