My Pumpkins look yellow?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Backfourty,MI., Aug 26, 2009.

1. Backfourty,MI.

Backfourty,MI. Katie Supporter

There getting a nice size to them but they are yellow. Never had yellow pumpkins before, I think they are always green the turn orange as they ripen. I have never seen these green yet.

At the end of the row by the pumpkins is the Zuchini & the other side of them are the buttercup squash, would that make a difference? The Zuchini are nice & green & so are the Buttercup squash.

2. wdchuck

wdchuck Well-Known Member

Same thing in our garden:

Yellow pumpkins
    Yellow squashes
    Green/white mottled melon/squash looking things
    watermelon/pumpkin looking orbs

It's a plethora of cross pollination in our garden, wonder what it'll all taste like.

Baked in the oven, with spices, put into a crust, and some whipped cream on top at the dinner table will equalize it all, right?

3. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

There are pumpkin varieties that are yellow from the beginning. Did you buy seeds/plants, or did you start them yourself? There's always a chance for mislabelling anywhere along the line, though.

4. ChristieAcres

ChristieAcres Well-Known Member Supporter

With all the discussion about cross-pollination, it leads me to wonder what will be "true" from any seeds I harvest. The obvious don't concern me. I grew Sugar Pumpkins not far from a 20 foot row of Squash varieties (all side by side) and have bright orange ones that look normal. Each Squash is producing true, but wonder if the seeds I harvest will produce the same varieties?

5. Backfourty,MI.

I plant the seeds directly in the ground, I usually plant the smaller sugar pumpkins & then the Big Carving pumpkins too. I thouht those were the same I planted this year. I've never seen them look like this before no matter what variety I've planted.

Nothing else in the garden looks like it has crossed with any other veggies, it's weird. I'm curious to see how these come out.

6. Use Less

Use Less Well-Known Member Supporter

The current neighbor plants don't affect the pumpkins you are growing. Cross-breeding affects the seeds,which affect NEXT year's plants. Also, zukes don't crossbreed w/pumpkins to the best of my knowledge, and I'd be surprised if squash did. Generally stuff needs to be pretty close cousins to do that; cuke varieties, tomato varieties, etc.

7. Backfourty,MI.

Well these were store bought packaged seeds so it must be some mix up on there end I'm guessing.

We'll see how they turn out, never seen pumpkins this color before, my porch will look different that anyone else's this year for sure.

8. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Pumpkins ARE squash.

Some reading:

The varieties within a botanical species (which may be referred to as pumpkins, squash or gourd) can cross-pollinate. Varieties from different species do not. For example, zucchini crosses with Howden's Field pumpkin, acorn or spaghetti squash, small decorative gourds, or Jack-Be-Little miniature pumpkins because they are all members of the same botanical species (C. Pepo)

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/pumpkins/growing.html

9. bee

bee WV , hilltop dweller Supporter

Jonnys Selected Seeds had/has a breeding program for "precocious"(sp) yellow gene in pumpkins. What this means is that the immature fruit start out yellow rather than green. This ensures when they do mature you have no green to overcome in the ripening fruit..it may not be quite ready to be all orange but will never show it by showing green. I got a line going from some of their seed..I believe it was Baby Bear. I sent them some seed from it but never heard anything back. Lost the line a while back. Google it, even my spelling brings up the info. Seems it is in the C. Pepo; which includes summer squash and PUMPKINS!

10. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

Some started yellow and some green. I believe the green ones are my pie pumpkins...I had weird seed this yr.

11. Backfourty,MI.

Thanks everyone, I'm really curious now to see how these turn out. I just thought something was wrong with them & now I find out they may be a normal kind of pumpkin.

12. puddlejumper007

puddlejumper007 Well-Known Member

i just bought a white pumpkin at farmers market. am going to save seeds...anyone ever seen them before?

13. Rowena

Rowena Wishing for more green

I have not grown them, but I bought them and they do have a nice thick flesh layer, but I still prefer the flavor of the sugar.

14. Backfourty,MI.

I have seen the white one's before, they are really cool for halloween with black eye's & a mouth & then cook them up for the recipe's you want to use it for.

15. pondman

pondman Well-Known Member