My prep for fuel shortage

Discussion in 'Survival & Emergency Preparedness' started by time, Jun 30, 2011.

1. time

time Well-Known Member

I just got this a few days ago. For FREE!

Wheelbarow for scale.
    [​IMG]

Subaru Sambar Mini Truck. 4X4 standard 5speed with extra low gear. tiny 4cyl motor. Old school carb and ignition(points) so it's easy to work on and easy for timing and carb adjustments for alternative fuels.

Possible BOV if fuel is an issue and speed isn't. But the real truck is my first choice.

2. Wisconsin Ann

Wisconsin Ann Happy Scrounger

Those are nice vehicles. We've been looking at some of the small trucks, alternative fuels, tiny diesels. Where we live, the only reason to actually LEAVE in an emergency would be something like Yellowstone erupting or a full scale war with Canada, so a bug out vehicle needs to be first and foremost a farm vehicle. Something I can take into town (20miles) that ISN'T a tractor.

3. Del Gue

Del Gue Well-Known Member

Free?
    I hate you.

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Great homestead truck!

5. time

time Well-Known Member

:eek:

A freind had it and it wasn't running. I cleaned the plugs and tightened the wires for him and told to charge the battery and it should start. A year later it was still sitting there so I asked him what he wanted for it. He just told me to come get it.

Charged the battery and it runs good. I love the little dump bed.

Ann,

No obvious dangers here either unless yellowstone goes and if that happens we're close enough it will be too late to run.

It's not really legal in most states to licence but I stuck a "slow vehicle" sign on it for farm vehicles. I won't have a problem out here but wouldn't drive it to town unless SHTF.

6. NewGround

NewGround Single Hillbilly

Pretty handy to have around for sure... Now where can I get a free one, LOL

7. Del Gue

Del Gue Well-Known Member

I don't need one.
    but I want one.
    Just to play with.

8. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

You got it for a good price. :sob:

9. ryanthomas

ryanthomas Well-Known Member

Any idea what kind of mileage it gets?

10. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson Cactus Farmer/Cat Rancher

Probably lower than you'd think. The thing is with most of this small stuff is the gallons per hour versus the miles per gallon. Putting around the farm it probably hardly uses anything. Going to town 15 miles away going 45 mph I bet it gets mid 30s.

I'd say for the price it was a good deal :)

11. Texasdirtdigger

Texasdirtdigger Texasdirtdigger Supporter

No flippin way!! I hate you, too!! Where's that envious smilie.
    No, really, that is fabulous!

12. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

You just ruined the market for those things . . . . . .
    Every one is gonna get scoffed up . . . .making the price soar . . . . . . .

Do I hear $15,000 . . ?????\

lol

13. tab

tab Well-Known Member Supporter

Does your friend have other cool stuff?

14. Harry Chickpea

Harry Chickpea Well-Known Member Supporter

While I wouldn't turn a free one down, I never understood the interest in those things. You can't legally drive them on the road (although the farmers around here sometimes sneak down a back road to the local gathering place), with auto wheels they aren't great for rough or muddy land, and they are limited in load much more than tractor and attachments. They were made for countries without the restrictions on vehicles that we have in the U.S., and someone decided that because of the price and cuteness, there must still be a market in the U.S.. They still are an expensive tool with very limited purpose.

OK, now I'm going to sit back and watch you try to convince me otherwise. :)

15. time

time Well-Known Member

Well, I wasn't in the market for one. Ya got me there.:grin:

But, here's your convincing. :fussin:

In some states they are being legally licenced and used everyday. The Subaru Sambo's come in a couple variaties, the truck pictured, the truck with a actuall dump bed(not after market dump bed like mine), and a van. Also, in most states farm equipment is legal on the road as long as it has the slow sign on it. You cannot go over 25MPH with a slow sign(legally). They are required to have govenors(speed restrictors 25mph top speed) in place to make it through customs here for this reason. In my town, ATV's are legal to drive on city streets.

It most definatly is not a tractor. However, most that want them do so in the same capacity as a gator or polaris ranger. These mini trucks top those farm and recreational vehicles in many ways. Some of the 'fun' factor is gone as these mini trucks are underpowered for their size compared to polaris and JD. Substantially larger cargo space though and weight capacity. A full cab with heat. A huge price difference although the mini trucks cannot be bought new. Maintanance. The Polaris and gator are heavy on sencors and computerized electronics, if it breaks, take it to the dealer and open your wallet. The parts to fix these are available and a motor can be rebuilt in the garage in a day or two. Try to adjust the timing on a computerized, fuel injected motor so it will run on a variaty of fuels.

Street tires are a weakness. ATV tires will fit and two inch lift kits are available.

End of convincing. :clap:

:grin:

16. secretcreek

secretcreek Well-Known Member Supporter

Happy for you! *(Trying not to envy or covet). I have wanted one for a long time with a dump bed to help in barn clean outs. Oh well... Nice for you-enjoy!
    -scrt crk

17. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

Free?! Way too go! Those are great for farm work. I would love eto have one for short trips to town. I live 1 mile door to door from a grocery store, I can walk, but it is the worst walk ever. That would work.

18. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I don't think they are legal for highway use.

19. Sanza

Sanza Crazy Canuck

:shocked: :rotfl:

:hysterical: :pound: :hysterical: :pound: :hysterical:

20. time

time Well-Known Member

Well, he tried to give us a horse(colt). :cowboy:

We already have too many of those.

ryanthomas, no I'm not sure what the milage would be. It's good but not outstanding. I use it occasionally and I don't think I could get an accurate number this way.