My poor,poor baby kitten

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Smith, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Smith

Smith Active Member

2. peanutgreen

peanutgreen Well-Known Member

I don't have any clue what it might be. If I were you, though, I'd feel around and see if it feels like he has any broken bones. That might help determine if he was stepped on. Was there any medications dropped on the floor that he might have ingested? Or did he have access to any type of poisons? Mouse poison, maybe? If he got into mouse poison, there should be a phone number on the package to call for help. Some mouse poisons work by causing the mouse to dehydrate, if your animals get into that type, I think all you can do is force them to drink (with an eye dropper, if necessary).

Another idea: Could he be constipated? Is his belly swollen? If that's the problem, it could make him act like that. If you can tell that that's the problem, maybe a very tiny bit of laxative or a kitty enema (use something like an eye dropper). Or try massaging his stomach with a warm wet washcloth (like a mama cat's tongue does for its babies).

I would make sure that he's drinking. Even if he doesn't eat for now, you will want to make sure that he's getting water. Since he's still peeing, if he doesn't drink he'll get dehydrated.

Let me know how it goes. I hope he gets better.

3. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Smith, why do you have animals if you cant afford their care? This is about the 6th animal you have posted about that has a serious problem.

4. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

If you Really Feel for this kitten... take it to the Vet!

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

an animal that soils itself is near death. take it to the vet. or be kind put it down

6. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

I wouldn't be worried. Smith has done this numerous times, something is near death, and when she gets posts telling her to take it to the vet, it has a miraculous recovery the next day.

If you cant afford the care for them, you should not have animals.

7. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Just keep in mind that animal neglect is punishable by law in some states. The legal definition of "neglect" includes denying your animal vet care when it needs it. If you find it more humane to let a kitten die piece by piece while you play doctor, fine - but I don't think it's fair to scold others for finding euthanasia to be the humane solution.

I really have a problem with people who collect animals that they can't afford. Nobody's expecting you to take your pets in every three months for a dental cleaning or some such, but if you can't afford to take a kitten as sick as yours to the vet, then you have no business having it in the first place. Talk about inhumanity and murder... sheesh.

8. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Sounds like a possible head injury.aka swollen/or pressure on the brain,will make them close there eyes and loose motor functions.
    Had a stereo speaker fall over on a kitten once as he climbed up it.Smashing his head.The vet said his chances where not good.But we agreed to give him 1 day.After that day he showed no improvement.(comatose) We had him put down.Its the ethical thing to do to an animal who has no hope of recover.Only a number of days left and is in serious pain or distress that you can not help. :( Even hope some one has the courtesy to me in the same way should some thing bad ever happen to me.Call it what you want. ;)

9. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

You have enough money to pay for internet service so that you can type all about how you are letting the cat suffer because you have no money?? I bet you have plenty of food in the house and gas in your car too. Here is the solution to the problem... put the cat in the car, take to vet, get it fixed or dead, and you suffer without something for a few days to pay for it. If you can't do that then a pellet to the head will at least end it's suffering and then the best thing, you get to suffer a little.
    Oh, and maybe, just maybe...they say "put down or euthanize" to be polite and respectful of other peoples views. We all know the end result.

Just one more irresponsible pet owner....some people need a license to own pets.

GA

10. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Smith take stuff to the pawn shop and get the kitten well then make payment to the pawn man. I've done this when I had to. shadowwalker

11. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

For those of you that aren't aware, Smith is a 15, possibly 16 by now, year old female and what Shygal is telling you is a fact. Smith baits people with a sob story and lies. Give Smith a little time and you'll see that she'll be jumping in your faces for no good reason.

12. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Sounds like a brain injury or something else neurological. My first advice would be to put the animal down. Vets usually do euthanasia for free. It's humane and simple.

If you are dead set on keeping this cat alive, consider it's quality of life should it 'wake up'. Brain damage, blindness, paralysis, incontinence, etc etc. As humans we are to watch after and care for animals, and that means we have the power to determine quaility of life, and to me any or all of the above as a possibility ASIDE from the cats' current condition are reason enough to humanely put the cat to sleep. It's not mean, and it's not cruel. It's saving you a lot of heartache and the cat a lot of pain and confusion.

There really isn't much a vet can do for neurological problems. But that's just my two cents.

Oh and by the way, I was a vet tech for NINE years and putting a suffering animal to sleep is NOT killing it out of malice, which essentially means murder. It is a kind and sometimes the ONLY thing we as HUMANS can do to HELP an animal. I had an english bull dog with severe hip displaysia who was in pain every step he took. He couldn't get up very well and he couldn't move well. He was on NSAIDS, asprin, glucosamine and numerous other meds until I couldn't stand putting him through it anymore. And so I held him while we injected soccumb into his vein and he went to sleep and he NEVER once looked at me like I was his killer or I was murdering him, in fact I believe he was RELIEVED that he wasn't going to have to live in pain anymore and he was glad I was allowing him to go on instead of keeping him alive for my selfish reasons.

So no, don't put an animal to sleep IF you can afford extensive care and IF the pet will have quality of life, but my friend, if you really like this cat you need to think about what it will have to endure if you choose to keep it alive for your benefit.

13. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Yes.

Smith comes here every few months with some kind of shocking problem with some kind of animal or another.

Some times Smith is a teenage girl, sometimes an older brother.

At any point, we can expect to hear from Smith in the very early spring with some OTHER animal in desperate need of care. Mark it on your calender, if you like.

14. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Ahhhh the wonderful Smith has returned with yet ANOTHER poor, unfortunate animal that she can not properly care for. Maybe someone needs to give up on live animals and get into stuffed animals? See the stuffed ones don't require vets, proper food, proper housing, or any care at all.

I do find it quite amazing that her animals are always magically cured a day or two after someone mentions a vet. Of course between the time of mentioning the vet and the actual miraculous cure one can expect to be severly flamed lol.

When Smith starts flaming this time is anyone going to start with the breakfast topics or just let the thread die out? :haha:

15. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Does Smith have Full Moon Syndrome? :haha:

16. Fla Gal

:haha: :haha: :haha:

17. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie "You have to be odd to be number one." Dr Seuss

I like french toast made with Challah bread, must have real butter (lots) and local maple syrup! Yumm.

Stacy

18. Fla Gal

Oatmeal with brown sugar and milk with a side of toast slathered with butter. One of my absolute favorite breakfasts. This is making me hungry...

19. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll let you cook for me....it all sounds good!

What country eats cats? :eek: Sorry in poor taste, Iknow!

20. Fla Gal