my poor garden

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by shelljo, Aug 15, 2005.

1. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

I had such high hopes this year. Planted corn, green beans, peas, jalepenos, cantalope, watermelon, potatoes, cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes. Last year, I had oodles and oodles of veggies. This year, well, we grew great bindweed, pigweed and grass. And now, the best thing growing is the goathead stickers. And, believe me, we do go out and weed, we just cant keep up!

Nothing came up well. 1/2 of the pea plants and beans came up. Just enough to eat, but not enough to can. Corn all got smut. Cantelope died as did the cucumbers. My tomatoes are not setting on. My jalepeno's are pitiful. Guess our potatoes are ok and my onions are fine, but really, this year's garden is pitiful.

I'm so ashamed of it and so disappointed. I'm already thinking about next year tho--I want to make paths and make definate planting beds. I plan on fertilizing this fall, maybe that will help. And, I'll pray for no heat waves and lots of rain. This summer we've had heat and no rain. Seems like gardens do better with rain. And I do water a lot.

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Sounds like you had the kind of year we did. You are right; maybe next year will be better. Our problem was rabbits so we added chicken wire on the field fencing. DH doesn't want one as big next year. We'll see.

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Might want to consider square foot gardening and lasagna gardening? Cuts down a LOT on weeds and conserves water.Uses less space than rows,and I see you want beds.4 foot by 4 foot beds are used in sq. ft.gardens. Lots of info here and on the web re: such methods.

BooBoo

4. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Ashamed? What are you ashamed of - that you couldn't make it rain? If so, I ought to be ashamed, too - this year has been just brutal. It's nobody's fault!

That said, I do second mightybooboo's lasagna-gardening idea. We do that, and while our garden is producing somewhat slowly and sporadically, nothing has actually died. We are fortunate enough to have a lot of good material right here to work with (the used straw from the goat barn + bunny poop). Start your compost heap now and maybe next year will be a little better.

Can't win 'em all! :shrug:

5. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

Well, I really needed this! I too had been feeling so guilty about my pathetic garden:) I had such HIGH hopes for our 1st garden... and the drought just killed it..... that and those nasty little squirrels and worms!! Definitely have plans for next year.... higher hopes and better plans... We lost almost everything (except a few tomatoes and a handfull of greenbeans) But next year will be better!!

6. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

That's one of the things I love about gardening, thinking ahead to next year and striving to improve on what I plant, how I plant, and garden care. When it comes to gardening, "hope springs eternal."

7. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Some years are just the pits...we've been gardening for 30 years and I'm ashamed of my pitiful garden this year,too! :eek: No rain for weeks and the irrigation system can't keep up. Things are coming on slow in small amts which is ok now that the kids are grown but would have been a real problem in the years where we canned and really depended on our garden for winter eating. At least we built raised beds so aren't plagued by weeds like in the past. But gardeners are optimists so don't give up...fall is a great time to get some raised beds in,mulch the paths, build a little greenhouse or cold frame,and plan for next years bounty! DEE

8. tonto

tonto Well-Known Member

I lost almost all my tomatoes this year. They got that nasty wilt that
    begins with an F or a V, I can't remember which.

I got a handful of small tomatoes off of one plant, and I had to pull
    the rest of them out and put them on the burn pile. I don't dare
    put them in the compost pile.

It is so depressing to look at where they were. Other parts of the
    garden are doing fine, but tomatoes are my *favorite* vegetable.

Sigh. As other people have said, there is always next year.

But
    I don't know what I'm going to do about the wilt. I wash all the cages
    with bleach, and I clean up all of the leaves and stuff, but then,
    I do that every year.

-tonto

9. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

Our garden has been weedy for the last several years. Somehow, we always manage to scrounge something out of it in the end. Right now, I've cleared out 3/4 of the weeds that are taller than me, so that the tomatoes can get more light and ripen up, lol.

We had a great year for onions and potatoes, too. So far the butternut squash is looking pretty good. I hope it stays alive. Our cucurbits always seem to die very quickly for some reason. We haven't had a canteloupe or any other melon out of our garden for 5 years. And the squash always seems to just collapse before everything ripens well. Some unknown factor keeps killing them. :grump:

I'm glad we didn't plant big this year for summer. We are planting for a fall garden though. :rock: I hope it isn't too late. This fall I will be adding epsom salt and bone meal to the garden before the pre-freeze mulching. I hope that helps things next year.

I'm with you, Mutti, on the raised beds with mulched pathways. They do help keep the weeds down. We still get some, but they are much easier to deal with for some odd reason.

Tonto, we have the same problem with our tomatoes. I've even covered the ground with newspaper and grass clippings to keep the dirt from splashing up on the tomatoes during the rain. This didn't keep the blight off either. It was interesting to note that with the drought, we didn't have the blight this year until just this week. Hmmmm. I wonder if it is spread by raindrops?

10. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

I have found that an effective way to keep weed growth down is to cultivate shortly after a rain, when the weeds are sprouting strongly. I cultivate after every rain in the spring, even if weeds are not readily apparent, because they are beginning to put down roots, and shallow cultivation will kill them. Plant smaller lots, don't plant like farmers rows. Strict row planting is done to allow for mechanical cultivation. Use mulch. Use a scuffle hoe....it's fast and easy. Plant green manure such as oats or winter wheat in the fall and winter. Turn it under before it goes to seed. Rotate crops. Pray for rain.

11. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I'm in the "ashamed boat" with the rest of you! My garden is dead. We've had so little rain this year that the ponds are almost gone and there are big cracks in the ground. My neighbor (in his 70s) said he's never had his garden grow so slowly and produce so little. And my mom said the same thing about hers.

It's been a bad summer for gardens.

12. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Nothing to be ashamed of, any of us.

We do our best to work with, for, and sometimes against nature. Each year's garden is a learning experience, that's for sure. Last year, Spring was so wet, and Summer was so cold, we got next to nothing. This year is a little better, certainly hotter. This is good for the tomatoes, but the cucs and beans were unable to set fruit because of the high temps.

I heartily endorse raised beds and mulching. Keeps the weeds down and the water where the plants need it.

But sometimes, no matter how much you compost, how much you water, how much you mulch... It just doesn't happen.

As I've said before, gardening is an awful lot like being a Cubs fan: There's always next year! ;)

Oh! And for the smut thing, check out the thread titled "Icky, weird growth on corn." Maybe you could start a new taste sensation at your farmer's market!

Pony!