My pickup is HUMMING at me?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Terri, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Now, I have heard a vehicle make a lot of different sounds-most of which have indicated a need to go to the shop- but HUMMING?

It happens when I turn off the engine, usually after a very short drive. Say, about a mile or so.

It is a Chevy Silverado half-ton pickup, if that helps. I don't remember the year, perhaps it is 4-5 years old? I bought it used last year with 50,ooo miles on it.

Any ideas about what could be causing the humming? Mind, it hasn't broken out ito SONG yet, but even so it is really, really DIFFFERENT!

2. WIPPdriver

WIPPdriver Well-Known Member

Just a thought. It could be the fuel pump running for a bit after the ignition is shut off.

Marlin

3. OD

OD Well-Known Member

My Ford PU humms, too. Dh said it is a fan that keeps running for awhile after the engine is shut off.

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Thats what I'm thinking is a fan running.

big rockpile

5. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

When you go out to your truck in the morning do you smell gas either inside or outside of it? I had a GMC that had a weak fuel line. The fuel pump would run for a while after shutting it off trying to build the pressure up in the line. It wasn't enough in the begining to leave a puddle or anything like that, just a pinhole that wouldn't allow the line to stay pressurized.

6. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I've got an 89 chevy that hums when I shut it off. it is the various servos for the heating and cooling system shutting off the vents and returning to neutral positions.

7. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

What Quint said.
    I have an 89 silverado that humms when you turn it on and when you turn it off. Just the servos like he said, kind of an annoying sound, but nothing to worry about.

8. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

The heater control servos are common on GM trucks for a humming sound. my 90 Suburban hums but it's the fuel pump running which on my truck is normal. It has a timer that runs the pump to circulate the fuel to cool it down on shut off.

9. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

Maybe it forgot the words?

Old joke, had to be said.

10. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

UPDATE....

The fuel pump is normal but the fuel filter is VERY dirty, which speaks poorly for the previous owner. (I have had it for a year) This might be why I heard more humming, I suppose, because it really wasn't humming as much before. So, you folk who suggested it was a normal Chevy fuel pump were correct.

Alas :waa:

The leak was from the power steering in 2 places. OUCH! :eek: