My Nubian

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

My Nubian goat sounds like Marvin the Martian. Do all Nubians have that "sound" to their "Ma-a-a-a-s!" or is it just mine? All my other goats sound just the way I thought goats should sound.
    She has this really funny, and loud, "Ma-A-a!" And it sounds just like Marvin the Martian would if he were a goat! She complains a LOT, too! ;)
    She is beautiful, agile, intelligent and graceful as a gazelle. I think she is shaping up to be a very good "herd queen."
    But her voice! It sure doesn't match her looks!

2. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

My Nubian cross sounds different from the other goats too - and a lot more vocal! She even mutters to herself when she's eating hay, it's quite hilarious. "Ummm, mmmm, mmmer"

My little Nigerian buckling makes some peculiar noises at times - usually when he's sniffing somebody's butt - then mama comes over and slams the poor doe!

The Saanen and the Alpine doeling sound like one would expect goats to sound, but the Nigerians mostly say "Bleah!!"

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Yes! My Nigerians say "Bleah!" too! (That is such a "Charlie Brown" word!)

4. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

Nubians are known to be quite loud. lol

5. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

My Toggie babies yell so loudly "Muuuuuuummmmm" that I swear its the 2 legged kids yelling muuummm that hubby and I both come running and then work out its the 4 legged kids...laugh...and go back to what we were doing. A friends Nubians do yell stranglely..always sounds like someones strangling them. :)

6. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

We joke that Sandy is calling my husband, Pat.

"P-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Most of ours our quite vocal, and each has their own sound. Big Sandy is the loudest and often the most insistant.

Lynda

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My little Nubian buckling sounds like a teenage male....becuase of rut his voice is wacko....

yes different breeds sound different and I think the mini breeds are even louder!

My mini Nubian can be heard 1 mile away I swear! If he pipes up while I'm in the barn I feel like this :stars:

8. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

We have a house where you are NOT supposed ot be able to hear the goats from the inside, but I ALWAYS hear Gabby, our little 6 month old boer doeling, when I am in the bathroom. She actually makes a MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA sound, so my mom used to hink that it was the kids yelling for her, until we all learned how to tell the difference.

9. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

One of my Nigerian does, the less dominant one, sounds a lot like Marge Simpson when she's growling at Homer! :D

10. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

My Nubians are loud when they want something or don't like something. Nubians are more vocal than other goats. My Nigerians bleat like Alpines, but are only noisy when they are in heat. My Nubian Alpine cross is not usually very noisy, but when she is in heat, you can hear har all the way from the barnyard into the house with the windows closed. My husband was real worried one night because he thought it was a goat in distress. The next morning, I bred her and she has been quiet ever since.