my nubian goats are here

Discussion in 'Goats' started by susanne, Nov 10, 2004.

1. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i got my nubian girls today. oh they are so pretty. twin does 10 month old. i belive they were bodle raised because they are so affectioned. they came frome somebody in ohio. a friend of mine who is dealing with meatgoats found them for me. they look healthy to me but problem is that one has her teeth standing out a little bit. she also looks smaler than her sister.
    both are breed to a full blood boer buck and are due in april. can i do anything to get enough nutritions into her? she also looks like she has a upper respiratory stress, little bit sneezy an i heard some coughing. they got penicilin g.can i do something else? :(

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your gots Susanne..! I have two 1/2 sisters and two full, and they don't look alike either. And Nubians can be tough to breed, meaning that some bloodlines don't mix well..
    anyway..
    the goat with the sneezes and the coughs.... don't do Pen G. or any antibiotic unless there's a fever.. using it profalactically is the quickest was to bacterial resistance there is. besides, goats sneeze and cough all the time.. ok, not ALL the time, but enough.. dusty hay, alfalfa fines.. they just seem to get stuff up their noses..
    is your goats nose runny? eyes? does she have a temp?
    ask yourself what you would do for yourself if you were in her.. hooves?

3. susanne

thank you for reply. unfortunately my friend started already with pen G. wouldn't it be wise to continue the treatment?
    there are no watery eyes and i don't think there is a fever. no diarea and the hooves look good to me. nothing soft and no limping. they have a very shiny coats. the smaler one is not eating the grain, could that be due to moving stress?
    susanne

4. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Well, yea, since you've started with the Pen G, I'd finish out the five days..
    are they on the same grain as thier previous owner gave? Is the smaller doe eating her hay well? drinking? will she eat treats out of your hand? the grain out of your hand? If she's eating her hay well, and will eat treats from your hand, then I would chock it up to stress.. make sure she's drinking plenty.. during the winter, I add Apple-Dex to their water (electrolite for horses) and the girls love it.. what I do is, I'll take a pot of boiling water to the barn put the Apple-Dex in their bucket, add the hot water then fill it with cooler water so the mix is warm apple flavored water.

I would also spend as much time as possible with them, maybe just sitting in the barn and talking to them, and if they want 'em, scratches behind the ear.. Some animals stress out more than others during a move, and it's aparent, they've been moved a bit since they were born.. and I think sitting in the barn and talking to them softly will go more toward relieving their stress than anything else I can think of.. Love on those girls!! and I promise, they'll love you back :)

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

susanne, remember to give plenty of probious, each time you give the pen g. infact i would give each girl, this 4 times a day, for 6 days. the peng, will stop the rumin from working, and they need the probious, plus, these girls have been moved around. so they need the probious to keep them healthy and on the right track. I would worm them good also. now many people use the herbal wormers, but I don't.
    1, I am allergic to lots of herbs, so I don't give it to my girls, since i drink the milk.
    2, I want to make sure that I get the worms cleared out of them , so I get my wormer from the vet. and I just had them checked yesterday, and not even an egg in them , they are all clean as a whistle.
    3. when you get to milking these girls, with the herbal wormers, you must give it once a week I think, and if you are drinking the milk or giving it to family members, you are giving your family members wormers also.
    So I worm from the vet. it is cheap, and does a great job.
    also remember since these girls are bred, that you must give them grain, and vitimans. I go to big lots, and get their one a day vitimans, [chewies, for adults, ], and give to my girls, plus I wrap up a caluim pill in it, and a floic acid, and a nician pill.
    I have very healthy girls and healty babies. easy births. I also give vit. e, and vit. c. I think it is important to keep the girls healthy and happy.

6. susanne

where do i get all the staff? they where wormed the day i took them home. the probiotic make sence to me. with all the extra vitamins i'm not so sure about that.
    right now they get alfa alfa hay and goat chow. they also have a mineral stone with selenium and copper. somewere i read if i give too much calcium , the bones from the babies can be too hard and the doe will have problems with the birth.
    so, how do i figure out the right dosage?

7. susanne

hi stacy,

yes they are eating the hay very well. and i spent a lot of time with them. they like to be petted.
    unfortunately i could not continue the penicillin because tsc did not had it and i didn't know where else to get it. so i went to the vet and he gave me something else. i give this for two days and it should be ok.

8. debitaber

I give extra xcalcium because pregger goats need it, just like a pregger woman, also I give a chewy vitiman because they need it also. goats need it to have healthy babies, and you don't know how these were fed, before you got them. I would give the probious also. goats don't do well with a mineral stone, that is why we give loose minerals freechoice, and baking soda free choice. they need it for tummy, just like we do. some people give flavored tums for extra calcuim. and I give a selium shot every three months.

9. susanne

thanks debi, but where do i get the brobiotic? is it the same as for humans? and where to get the selenium shots?
    what is the bakink soda doing for the goats? still don't agree to extra vitamins.
    maybe we could discuss that when i visit you next week? still learning
    susanne ;)

10. debitaber

susanne, I will show you what I have , ok? can you bring a picture of your goats and I could help you,. why don't you come on momday if you want, or tues day would be good, in the afternoon. let me know.

11. lostluver

lostluver Active Member

spell check anyone? :rotfl:

12. CountryHaven

CountryHaven Well-Known Member

Lostluver, before you laugh at someone you should know their backgrounds. English is not everybodies native language. Susan is German and I'm sure she could outspell you in German anyday.

13. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

You are kidding right, looking up posts from 2004 just to comment on someones spelling...how about a new hobby.

14. CountryHaven

Geesh, I didn't even realize it was an old post. Lostluver you have too much time on your hands.

15. lostluver

lostluver Active Member

I was wondering what it would take to get some responses on this board!! Yes, I was kidding. I'll tell you though, these were the fastest responses I've seen thus far.

I wasn't looking up posts from 2004. I was researching posts about giving injections.

16. CountryHaven

Wow you have to be kidding again, right? This is one of the fastest moving boards in almost all forums around, and certainly when it comes to livestock. There are a few others, but by and large if you go to most forums you'll see maybe two or three current responses on the entire forum much less in one topic or thread, and a great many are just hanging taking up space with no traffic whatsoever. Thank God for this wonderful place, and all the great information shared CONSTANTLY.

17. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

Susanne: If you can't find a probiotic (I use Probios that comes in a tube from Tractor Supply), you can use yogurt. My goats never ate yogurt, but I'm sure they'd like the flavored ones. They'll probably have a milk mustache when they eat it. Get your camera ready! LOL
    - Kathy