Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, remember me? I'm the person who recently said I just made my first and probably last soap! I had made a goats milk/lard/lye soap, on December 3. And I tried a 2 ounce chunk last night, I knew I could not wait until mid January:eek:. Am I imagining things, but would this two week old soap actually be mild, nourishing, gentle, softening, on my hands? I readily admit to being obsessive/compulsive with hand washing and consequently, my fingers crack every winter. But this morning, after using this new soap maybe six times, my finger tips feel soft? Am I making this up?

Anyway, I have been reading on this forum about the life expectency of lye, and want to use up the rest of my two pound stash I bought from Brambleberry. Since I don't have enough lard to make another 5 pound+ batch of soap, I want to try to finish out with olive oil. Do you have any comments about a goats milk/lard/olive oil combo? Brambleberry also sent along some blueberry fragrance oil that I am thinking about adding too.

I really love this first batch of soap I made (there are photos of my first soap on another thread). Did I have some genuine beginners luck with that soap? Often times when I try something new, I carefully follow directions on my first try, then wing it on the second attempt, and fail miserably:rolleyes:

So I am off researching my idea of a lard/olive oil soap...oh, any suggestions on the quality of olive oil to use? I have some pumice olive oil, but I am thinking it is too cheap and may even have undesirable additives. I am going shopping tomorrow to look at store bought (Walmart) olive oil. Do I need to go with a top of the line olive oil? or is middle of the line okay?

Thank you for any guidance:eek:

·
Defending the Highground
580 Posts
Hi, remember me? I'm the person who recently said I just made my first and probably last soap! I had made a goats milk/lard/lye soap, on December 3. And I tried a 2 ounce chunk last night, I knew I could not wait until mid January:eek:. Am I imagining things, but would this two week old soap actually be mild, nourishing, gentle, softening, on my hands? I readily admit to being obsessive/compulsive with hand washing and consequently, my fingers crack every winter. But this morning, after using this new soap maybe six times, my finger tips feel soft? Am I making this up?

Anyway, I have been reading on this forum about the life expectency of lye, and want to use up the rest of my two pound stash I bought from Brambleberry. Since I don't have enough lard to make another 5 pound+ batch of soap, I want to try to finish out with olive oil. Do you have any comments about a goats milk/lard/olive oil combo? Brambleberry also sent along some blueberry fragrance oil that I am thinking about adding too.

I really love this first batch of soap I made (there are photos of my first soap on another thread). Did I have some genuine beginners luck with that soap? Often times when I try something new, I carefully follow directions on my first try, then wing it on the second attempt, and fail miserably:rolleyes:

So I am off researching my idea of a lard/olive oil soap...oh, any suggestions on the quality of olive oil to use? I have some pumice olive oil, but I am thinking it is too cheap and may even have undesirable additives. I am going shopping tomorrow to look at store bought (Walmart) olive oil. Do I need to go with a top of the line olive oil? or is middle of the line okay?

Thank you for any guidance:eek:
I'm not an expert, but from everything I have read you should use the lightest olive oil you can find. I made a batch of soap with a friend two months ago and she insisted on using extra virgin olive oil. All went well until I asked her about the VERY green color and VERY strong olive aroma. At that point, she checked and realized that for the recipe she was using, she should have used "light" oil.

I don't think it would have been a problem IF she was actually making green olive oil soap, but she was trying to make soap with a white/lavender color and light lavender fragrance. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way. But I'm sure the soap will be wonderful anyway.

RVcook

·
Registered
500 Posts
The type of olive oil that you use is a personal choice. I know soapmakers that only use pomace and others that use regular olive. I would save the extra virgin for food, personal choice.

Your soap sounds lovely, and your second batch should turn out just as well. Take your time so that you will have great results and and be forever planning your next batch.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Lard soap is very mild and with the goats milk in it, it would be even milder. Congratulations on your success. I use Wal-Mart "Olive Oil" in soap at about 10%. I've made one batch of olive oil 90% and castor oil 10% soap and it turned out some of the whitest soap I've ever made. Took about 5 months to harden up but then it was like a brick.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks all for the suggestions, yea, I probably was not going to use the extra virgin, but I also researched the gallon of pomace olive oil I have and the importer had been busted for adding things to the oil. I also will avoid the lovely fruity green stuff too!

I weighed my remaining lard and it looks like I will use about 40% lard to 60% olive oil. Now I am awaiting the stick blender I just bought on eBay...stay tuned...

·
Registered
8 Posts
What about a classic walmart type recipe, while many like high amounts of olive oil, it can also have that lather that some describe as slimy. (not my personal favorite but many like it as well) Soaps with higher amounts of olive oil also take a longer time to cure and harden up as well.

40% lard
25% coconut oil
10% castor oil
25% soybean oil (aka the cheap vegetable oil)

I have become a huge fan of soybean oil in my soaps and you can buy a 48oz bottle of it at walmart for under $3 i believe.

I make a variation of the above recipe quite often but I do use some palm oil in it as well as some safflower oil or rice bran oil in mine. Makes a nice bar of soap. But I have made the above recipe and it makes a nice hard bar of soap, that isn't to cleansing but just the right amount, great for conditioning and lots of great bubbly lather to it.

soaps made with high amounts of lather have low bubbly lather and high cream lather to them, there is a difference in the types of lather between the two types of soaps and the lather they produce.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
while many like high amounts of olive oil, it can also have that lather that some describe as slimy.
Well, yes and no.

Soaps with high amounts of olive oil that haven't been 'cured' long enough will have a slimy lather. This is due to the higher amounts of Oleic fatty acid in Olive Oil.

Give me a 100% OO that has been made with a 40% lye saturation and 'cured' 6 months and I'll show you one of the largest bubbles with no slime you've ever seen!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't think you need a top of the line olive oil. We used to get oil in a co-op but they have stopped doing it. Olive oil went of the hook a few years ago so I slowed down on making it. now, I don't worry so much about the cost. I just love to make soap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too am a soapmaker. You can make very nice soap using Walmart vegetable shortening. I have used a little olive oil, but it's so expensive, and other oils work just fine. I just add my herbs, oatmeal, essential oils, etc.Good Luck
Judy Mullins
www.mullinslogcabin.net

·
Registered
77 Posts
do you prefer to use coconut over palm or palm over coconut? I was once into all the oils until I see it was not making a big big difference. I haven't use the shortening in a while. These last two batches were made with lard and/or palm oil/coconut.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ended up making a soap from 60% olive oil and 40% lard, goats milk, lye, and the blueberry fragrance with a drop of orange oil. I will not try the soap until the first of February. I have been using the first batch I made with only lard, milk and lye, it seemed to be ready in a few weeks. That first batch has been helping me keep my fingers out of this latest batch. I bought something simply labled "olive oil", certainly better than pomice but not an extra virgin. It did look light in color. The soap smells like baked blueberry muffins.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts