My New Stove Arrived Yesterday!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by katlupe, Dec 21, 2004.

1. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Yesterday I was working all day on the computer and as soon as I got off the local trucking company called for directions to our house to deliver my new gas stove. They had been trying to call me all day. If only I had known! I thought it wouldn't come for 2 more weeks. So we just waited wondering if the driver would make it up our road. Pretty soon a big old tractor trailer pulled up! Our road is a dirt road running through the state forest and most of the way it looks like an old buggy road although it is maintained and we have traffic daily. Today my husband is installing it. This is a big deal to us. I do cook on a wood cookstove but I also use a propane stove and this one is especially for people who live off the grid. I can't wait to try it by doing some baking! My husband is happy about that!!!!!

2. melinda

melinda Well-Known Member

sounds great! what brand? where did you get it? details, please! I'm off the grid - I keep our propane stove plugged into a plug strip so I can switch it on and off pretty easily, but it has to be on to bake...

melinda in az

3. katlupe

It's a Peerless Premier and it doesn't have the electric glo bar in the oven which can use 500 watts of power when it's being used. It has a gas pilot light and big oven and a storage cabinet on the side. It doesn't have a clock or timer, but you can get them with that if you want. I think I'll be cooking and baking on it tomorrow!
    I ordered it from www.backwoodssolar.com as that's where we buy all of our stuff. They are great to work with. What kind of a system do you use? You live in Arizona - must be getting lots of sun there! I'm jealous. I know you don't get much rain - we get so much rain I was hoping there was some sort of system for rain power!

4. melinda

melinda Well-Known Member

I was just surfing backwoodssolar! So, it is electric for the pilot, or no? Do you have to have it plugged in to use the oven? I was sorta confused by the description. I don't know about that glo bar thing - I don't think the oven we have now has it. I can use the cooktop just by lighting the burners, but I have to turn the electricity on to use the oven.

Ya know, they told us Arizona was the desert, but we have had over 20 inches of rain since we moved here in June!!! Can ya believe it? It looks more like a midwestern prairie out here right now! It's cloudy today - we had to run the generator right at mid day... can't wait til we switch over to the bigger solar stuff, we're going from 8 to 28 panels, 8 to 20 batteries... After the switch I guess running the oven with the electricity on won't be as big an issue! But I will still have it on the switchable power strip, just like we do with the tv/dvd, and pretty much everything else. I just walk around at night and switch everything off - cordless phone, internet, lights...

thanks for the info, now I'll go back and re-read their descriptions.

5. katlupe

It sounds like it must have a glo bar if you have to turn on the electricity. Mine has no electric at all. You can get them with the electronic pilot if you want, and you can still light them with a match if you need to. Yes, we are having rain too. I would rather have snow than rain. And I have to go somewhere today with a friend. I'm basically a homebody.

6. Chuck123

Chuck123 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new stove!! :) What a great driver to not squawk about driving the "cowpath"!! :)

7. LaDonna

LaDonna Well-Known Member

We had the same problem with the phone lines being busy. I refused to put in another line. We installed "callwave" (do a google search)for 3.95 a month. I never have to worry about my daughter calling from school and getting a busy signal.
    Congrats on your new stove!!!