My new little Tiller

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Susan n' Emily in TN, May 22, 2005.

1. Susan n' Emily in TN

Susan n' Emily in TN Well-Known Member

I just have to brag about my new mantis tiller. It has really revolutionized our gardening. The weeds don't have a chance this year!!!!!!!!! My DH absolutely loves it.
    I have wanted to get one for years but never had the money. I used my Birthday money and my year end bonus and I bought it. We have done incredible things like, prepare and put in 12 blackberry bushes in 2 hrs, from sod to mulching and watering. Dig holes for the new fruit trees in 15 min, tilling in compost and sand, then just digging the hole deep and wide enough for the roots to spread out. It was great. The only problem is that my DH gets to the tiller before I do and won't give it up!!!!!!!!! :) Looks like I won't be the only one in charge of the gardening this year. I also have prepared several new flower garden beds in less than 2 hours each. From sod thru tilling and adding compost and sand, when needed, to planting and mulching and watering. We would never have been able to do so much in so little time without it. Well I'm sure I could just keep on going but I know there is a corner of my garden that I haven't tilled yet, So out I go. Susan

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I'm on my secong Mantis. Those little bugger work hard! However, I wish they weren't such a bear to start!! My husband usually starts iin about 50 yanks....me, I never get that lcky :(

3. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I'm quite proud of myself, I got my Mantis started this year. I should say started for the first time in 2005. It did take a lot of pulling, and one blister on my finger. (through leather gloves, I must be a baby) ;)

4. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Last year I bought a mini tiller, I was almost going to get a Mantis, but I got a Vortine tiller, with a 4 cycle honda engine, and Im so glad I did.

That little thing does everything, and it starts with one pull. I had left it out all winter :eek: and figured I wouldnt be able to start it. It took two easy pulls, honestly.

I love it!

5. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    Yesterday when I looked I coulda swore this was a forum-ercial for the mantis :)
    I mean I am not sure how many people say that something has revolutionized their gardening when talking to people LOL I am sure you were being geniune Susan, it just struck me funny.

Glad to see both sides of it :)

6. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I know I've stated this before, BUT...for those of you with Mantis-starting troubles, I'll tell you about how I start mine. It starts on the 4th pull EVERYTIME.

Push in the little gas-bubble primer thingy (Yes, that is the tecnichal term for it) three or four times.

Pull out the choke.

Squeeze the throttle and pull on the cord three times (I let off the throttle between every pull).

Push the choke back in.

Squeeze the throttle again and give it one more pull.

Go have fun digging around in your garden.

7. Susan n' Emily in TN

Susan n' Emily in TN Well-Known Member

You better believe it :) . I have always fought a losing battle with the weeds and I also didn't quite know how much mixing up a new garden bed would take and whether I was up to the task. (serious as I can be) Plus I put in 40 plus hrs of the "farm", so time spent is a hugh factor. I feel like this year We will be on top of it.

Also, I haven't had a bit of trouble starting it.
    -pull out the choke.
    -turn on the switch
    -pump the little thingy 4 or 5 times, till you see the gas in it.
    -pull the rope 2 or three times til it starts and dies
    -push in the choke
    - pull rope 2 or 3 more times, should start like a charm.
    Those were the directions on the video they sent with it.
    Happy tilling, Susan

8. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Well,see,that's the problem...our Mantis is so old we never got a video! So this year DH actually read the instruction book and learned he was only supposed to be doing short pulls and gee, now the thing starts...but still dies as wasn't getting gas d/t gummed up gas filter in tank so called and got the parts easily and now she's up and running! Basically, there isn't a machine on this farm I can start 'cept my new JD mower...sometimes it makes me so mad. DEE

9. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Keep us up to date, I heard those vortines had fiber gears that strip out.