My new LGD "baby"

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Bearfootfarm, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

One of this pile of 3 day old Maremmas is MY new female!!!!!!!!!! Just 8 more weeks to wait! LOL
    [​IMG]

2. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

awww, they are so cute!! How do you train an lgd anyway? I'd like to teach my akita that goats and chickens are not chew toys before we actually get any.

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

wow! those are huge puppies@! sis

4. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Awww,they are so sweet.I love puppies. :)

5. Bearfootfarm

They require very little training if you get the right breed. Its their natural instinct to guard the animals they are raised with. You start them out with the animals when they are 8-12 weeks old, and they will naturally bond with them. Occasionally you have to teach them not to play to rough with them, but most of the time they adapt well. Maremmas have been doing it for over 2000 years. Akitas were bred to hunt bears. Im not sure youll EVER break those instincts, but a shock collar, used correctly, can really help

http://www.bountifulfarm.com/lgd_seminar.htm

http://www.lgd.org/

6. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

Are their noses really pink? How adorable!!

7. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I have a Maremma that I got inspring. I guess she is about 8 months or so now. we love her to death. She is great with the animals and great with us. Probally a little to people friendly but we wanted her that way.

She is just now coming into her own. You can see her guarding and on the watch for trouble. She is also in with a guard donkey , now that is funny. They love each other . As soon as they get together Emma {dog] jumps up and kisses Annabell {donkey} . they run and play all the time. I am waiting to see Emma going for a ride one of these days.

Patty

8. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Bearfoot - are they your (really your dogs) litter or are you buying one. If buying one and they have stock leave it with them to learn from its mom about stock as long as you can.

I have 2 Anatolian puppies left from my litter of 13 that are still needing homes although I will be happy to keep them if they don't sell. Mine are 23 weeks old and are so safe with stock that they are in with 13 day old lambs. They and their mom actually helped clean up the lambs at birth. Its wild and gratifying to see a puppy show proper respect for a 2 week old lamb. Sheep and lambs are the BOSS in my barnyard.

Of course I just went back to see your picture and noticed you raise Maremmas - Silly Me.

9. Bearfootfarm

LOL Im buying a new female. She will be my fourth one for now. My other female is about 9 months old and Beau, my breeding male just turned 2 years old last Sunday

10. Bearfootfarm

I think thats from the heat lamp he's got on them A Maremmas nose is usually black. This is Beau about a year ago

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/maremmasheepdog.htm