Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all just thaught id share something I just threw together after feeling much pain seeing all the hay I was buying being trampled and wasted on the floor and knowing i would have to put out quite a bit for the weekend as im going away I decided it was time for a hay feeder so I threw this together out of some old packing cases. It looked so small when I looked at it afterwards but in comparison to my dexters it seems just right.

it takes one small bale around 40lb which lasts 2 days with my 2 dexters.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now they just need to start using it unfortunately I had just moved them to a new section of pasture when I put it in so they were more intrested in the green grass than the hay

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Looks like the perfect scratching post to me.... Our cattle would knock that over in a heartbeat (angus). Dexters may be a little smaller, but I'm not sure how long that will stay standing. Hoping for the best.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Looks like the perfect scratching post to me.... Our cattle would knock that over in a heartbeat (angus). Dexters may be a little smaller, but I'm not sure how long that will stay standing. Hoping for the best.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully it will work for Dexters!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well they are using it and haven't attempted to knock it over I know they are using it because both of them had bits of hay on there heads this morning when I went out to check on them neither of the girls seems too into scratching.

·
Registered
499 Posts
well I would like to see plans or pictures of hay feeders. We are using square bales as our small herd waste to much with round bales

·
Do it in the dirt
269 Posts
How does you design work better than a round bale feeder? don't they just pull out excess hay and step all over it too?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts