My new girls! Need advice

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kim Martin, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Kim Martin

Kim Martin Well-Known Member

Hi! Just got my new girls home! (I was given 3 reg. Alpine milk goats ranging in age from 1-3yr, to 2-11months) We took over feeding them about 1 month, maybe month and 1/2 ago (I also raise sheep) finally got eveybody home! My questions are: Will covexion-8 work as good as CDT? (Owner said their due for it but didnt get to ask her this question) She also said she had wormed them w/Vabazon right before I took them over, so I was going to worm again
    (Will Valbazon work?) They seem a little skinny to me (But I'm use to pregnant ewes!) Also, when we took them over they went from 2x a day feeding to 1x a day. Now I've got them back to 2x a day, plus all hay and roughage they can want with alfalfa cubes as treats. My sheep weigh around 200 so these girls seem so small! (I can feel their ribs, they eat real good...but right behind their last rib they just sink in!) No fever, poop is fine, very playful, etc. just bony!
    I was told all grain (9% protien) was OK so thats what I've been feeding. As much as they will eat in 30 min. or so. I was hoping it was just going to the 1x a day feeding, but? Any advice is gratefully appreciated, I know sheep but this is a whole new world! (I'm thinking of selling sheep!) LOL Also, 1 last Qu. Is it OK to put them in with the ewe's? I havent mixed anybody yet. (Ewe's just lambed, dont like themselves much less anything else!) :) I just want make sure I do everything right for them. Sorry so long, but being paranoid! (So says DH!) thanks Kim in OK

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

they should hay free feed alfalfa hay, I use 3d cutting.
    also, I use purnia goat chow, but there are lots of good brands out there, do not feed horse sweet feed, doesn't have evough copper and zinc for goats. I also top dress all grain with purnia goat minerals, very important. and I use cdt, and give bo se shots , about every 4 months. depends where you live, and I give vitamin b complex shots. and I give a daily chewable vitamin.
    that is what I do. but Ialso give kool aid t odrink . I spoil mine really bad.

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I would get some Cydectin Cattle Pour on and give it orally (by mouth only, not to pour on goats) to your goats at a dosage of 1cc/25# body weight. Valbazen can be given. I usually mix their dose of Valbazen in with the Cydectin because it will get different things. The Valbazen is good for getting tape worms. Are some of them in milk? I have Alpines and a couple of mine are such milk makers they stay a little thin. Even if I increase their grain they just turn the excess feed into more milk. I have now started mixing some 10% sweet feed in with the dry grain mix (100# dry grain mix to 50# sweet feed) and top dress with Black Oil Sun Flower Seeds (about a cup). I give them grain on the milk stand and I feed them about 3.5 pounds while I milk each doe. I put out 3# alfalfa pellets per doe in their troughs and a large flake of hay and fill their buckets with fresh water. Then I do this again at the evening milking. They also have pasture to graze on. Also, goats need copper. I feed a cattle mineral that is 2500 ppm copper. HOWEVER....sheep do not need copper, it is toxic to them. So if you run your goats and sheep together you will need to get copper boluses and give to your goats. The mineral blocks that say they are for goats and sheep do not contain enough copper for goats. And I would try to keep these new girls separate from your sheep for at least 10 days just to make sure they don't introduce any bad bugs to your sheep. Since you have been taking care of them for over a month you probably know if they are ill or not, but sometimes the stress of a move can bring on things you may Not have seen. I give CD/T shots 3 weeks before I breed my girls in the fall along with a Bo-Se shot. Then I give these same shots again 3 weeks before they kid in the spring. Hope you enjoy your girls.

4. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I used Co-8 instead of CD/T this year. My does all got walnut sized knots at the injection sites and went lame for a couple of days (injected in armpit skin). The sheep was not affected.
    It's normal and even desirable for milk does to be skinnier than ewes. Google some Alpine does online and you'll see that big space behind the ribs is okay.
    I mix my goats and sheep (just one sheep) on pasture but not in the barn. Besides the copper issue, the goats are so much smarter than the sheep, the goats start to manipulate him.
    FYI, all registered goat pedigrees are online at adgagenetics.org (or .com, not sure) you can find your girls and see what their lines are.

5. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

We use the Covexin 8 on the goats. It is CDT plus some other things. We give the injections in the side of the neck. We have experienced some "bumps" forming from the injection, but not as big as walnuts. We vaccinate at three months of age and then a booster injection in 6 weeks. Then they get an annual one in the fall just before kidding.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

6. Kim Martin

Kim Martin Well-Known Member

Hi, (thanks for the responses, BTW) No, no one is in milk right now. The owner was showing quite a large herd and now that she is graduating these are last one left no one had bought yet. (The older one was milked last spring, so might try to get her milk records) they have been raised right in next pen to my sheep (At school FFA farm) So, any bugs are already been exposed to my other girls. The sweet feed, I checked on it to see if it would say copper % but all it says is oats, barley, cracked corn and molasses. (And it does give protien and fat %) I was just concerned that the sheep would damage them! And yes I can tell they are way smarter! They can even undo baling wire! My pen is 100 by 300 with about 30 by 100 seperated and divided into 2 smaller pens at one end of it. Now I've been using the smallest pen as a feeding area and birthing area, but... Would that be big enough for sleep area and feeding area for the goats?
    (Just for now, till barn is built) If I get a sheep and goat mineral block what amount of boluses should I give? They do have free feed hay, and once I'm sure the woolie's cant hurt them they can roam all over the 10 acres! And have a LOT of goodies to eat. When you add black oil sunflower seeds do you have to shell them or just throw in with mix? Here in OK we're ok with Selenium levels so should be set there. I'm going to work this spring and summer with the little ones getting them use to my hands down there and getting on milk stand etc. to get ready for it...any advice on milking training? For them and ME? LOL Once again thanks A LOT for the advice and council. I'll let ya know all the horror stories as they come about! LOL KIM in OK

7. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

You got some good responses there.

Just a quick note:

I went to a seminar on Saturday & they said that milk goats should get 16% protein, and meat goats should get 18-20% protein.

Ellie