My 'new' gardening system is doing awesome!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by birdie_poo, Jun 9, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Here's what I did:

Every place I wanted to plant something, I dug a hole and lined that hole with wire mesh, then rabbit doo. I back filled, then added the seeds or plants. The wire mesh went up the sides of the hills as well. This was for protection from gophers.

This seasons plants are doing the best they ever have

My peas are over 4' tall, and that's only because I don't have anything taller (for the moment) for them to continue growing up. They are just starting to fruit.

Same with the beans. I had to take the lattice bench down because the wind kept blowing it over, and it was smashing the squash. So I have tomato cages and they just aren't tall enough.

My squash leaves are sticking 3.5-4' in the air! Fruit, fruit, fruit, of course. Some of the flowers fused together so I have sever fruits that have joined, and look like siamese twins.

The volunteer toms have started giving me romas, and the yellow pear volunteer is gigantic, and flowering like crazy. All the toms I planted, myself, from seed, are flowering and fruiting.

The strawberrie...they are doing AWESOME. they are already sending off pups, and since I put the red mulch mat down, I swear the strawberries have doubled in size.

I'm sad that my husband can't see it.

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Now write a book about it, maybe call it ha ha gophers or ode to rabbit manure :cool: . Happy gardening.